Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Most efficient cartridge loadings

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ike838 View Post
    I have a GP 100 and an Australian beater Service Six that I just picked up 500 rounds of PMC 132 grain from Rainier Arms for $240 or so shipped so not really feeling the need at that moment. My supply of Wilson Combat .45 reloads is getting down there right now and I thought starting with that caliber made sense.
    My stock of 9mm is good and when you can get it for $15 or $16 shipped from Norma shooting I don't hate the price so I am not in a real hurry to head down that road quite yet.
    30/30, Grendel,.357 and to a certain extent .45ACP's current pricing is what is motivating me to finally take the plunge into reloading.
    I found the titegroup in stock at powdervalley so that is why I asked about it. I will take a look for the other suggested powders as well.
    I am hoping that between using a handpress ,manual scale and my sailmaker's OCD I will not have any double charges.
    Is .38 Special easier to load for?
    .38 Special is easy to load for because you don’t have to worry about function. Cast lead with starting loads are easy peasy. Soft shooting, easy to load, and economical while you get the hang of the process. And when you start working up, the .357M GP100 is strong, accurate, and heavy (gentle shooting and easy to evaluate accuracy).

For .45acp, yeah, you want to use FMJ. Its not hard to load, either.

When you switch to rifle, 30-30 seems like it’d be a good one for a beginner. I’ve never loaded that, though…. Anyone have any input on that?

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    -SNIP-
    When you switch to rifle, 30-30 seems like it’d be a good one for a beginner. I’ve never loaded that, though…. Anyone have any input on that?
    I always found/find the 30-30 pretty easy to load. Cases resize without a lot of lever force, bullets are big enough to be fumble free, a wide range of powders will work in the cartridge, and most all my handloads were usably accurate. I haven't shot factory 30-30 ammo in a long time, but I could significantly improve accuracy with handloads.

Andy

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    I always found/find the 30-30 pretty easy to load. Cases resize without a lot of lever force, bullets are big enough to be fumble free, a wide range of powders will work in the cartridge, and most all my handloads were usably accurate. I haven't shot factory 30-30 ammo in a long time, but I could significantly improve accuracy with handloads.

Andy
    I’d expect brass life to be long, with less need to trim. Is that so?

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    I’d expect brass life to be long, with less need to trim. Is that so?
    If you only use the loads in one rifle and resize conservatively, I think that is true.

Andy

Feedback Score
    If you only use the loads in one rifle and resize conservatively, I think that is true.

Andy
    I'm tempted to get this 1920's Savage 99 a relative has and reload for it.

I have not reloaded a rifle cartridge yet.

I've fired the rifle and it's good. He's got about 100 rds of new ammo for it. PCI I think.

.303 Savage. 😎

Low recoil, .308 bullets.

Biggest downside is iron sights only. It does have that folding aperture sight at the very back of the reciever.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post

I have not reloaded a rifle cartridge yet.

I've fired the rifle and it's good. He's got about 100 rds of new ammo for it. PCI I think.

.303 Savage. 😎

Low recoil, .308 bullets.

Biggest downside is iron sights only. It does have that folding aperture sight at the very back of the reciever.
    If it has an aperture sight there is no downside

Savage 99s and the 303 are both pretty cool https://www.handloadermagazine.com/303-savage

Andy

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ViniVidivici View Post
    And I highly recommend RCBS carbide 3-die sets for pistol cartridges. They are excellent.
    I've had both RCBS dies and Dillon dies... I sold the RCBS dies.

They're better than Lee, but once I tried Dillon dies, nothing else will suffice.

Quote Originally Posted by ike838 View Post
    Maybe a stupid question but are there any disadvantages to using a swc projectile to learn with? Would a fmj be more forgiving for a novice? Thanks again.
    I shoot mostly SWCs in .40. They feed fine, and they make nice clean holes in paper targets.

Ironically, the feeding problems I've had have been with flat point bullets.

For light or moderate handgun cartridges, cast bullets are cheap and good. FMJs are expensive and overkill...

Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post

Is the point to resurrect a relic, or to learn reloading?

If the former, then start with a couple boxes of factory ammo (if you can find it), and be sure that you really want to shoot it enough to invest in the reloading equipment.

If the latter, then I think .308 would be a more common/easy round to reload.

Amen... open sights suck, but an aperture is ideal.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    The 303 Savage will be a challenge because it may be difficult to find dies and cases.

I would also say that maximum loads are NOT your friend when it comes to learning to load for any rifle and that goes double for loading an obsolete cartride to fire in an antique rifle.

Andy

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post
    I've had both RCBS dies and Dillon dies... I sold the RCBS dies.

They're better than Lee, but once I tried Dillon dies, nothing else will suffice.
    I mostly use Dillon dies… what problems did you have with Lee and RCBS?
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score

Savage 99s and the 303 are both pretty cool https://www.handloadermagazine.com/303-savage

Andy
    It is indeed a nice aperture, flip up, adjustable, mounted behind the receiver. Long, long radius.

I fired the gun and its zeroed for 50 yds. Wasnt a great 5 rd group but it was my first time with it. But it proved the gun shoots and isnt bent or anything. I dont know how accurate it can be. I'd be happy with 2 inches at 50 yds.

I've only 35 rds for it. (Probably less than 10yrs old) Not sure whether to get dies, bullets, powder & more brass or just sell it.

It was fun to fire but no family history in it or anything like that. If I wanted to start rifle hand loading why not start for my .308's instead? We're all limited by time...
    Last edited by Ron3; 02-02-22 at 14:40.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast