Page 10 of 28 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: I am pi$$ed off and don't know what to do about it

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    Oh, that's nice. How was the work from Culper?
    The first photo, taken outdoors, shows the true colors. Second photo was taken indoors.

Last edited by MistWolf; 01-17-22 at 02:12.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by turnburglar View Post
    Hey HSLD;

As an instructor that see's lots of kit, can you comment on the pro's/con's of any other chinese kit?

To answer the question that someone else asked: "is there a difference between chinese and American nylon to warrant the ~$200 difference in price?"

The answer is: That depends.

The Chinese are actually decent sewers and have access to great sewing machinery. In fact my personal machine is a Juki... made in china. Where the chinese dont fully measure up is their access to materials. If you have ever seen chinese multicam nylon right next to real cordura with real TM multicam you know exactly what I am talking about. To circumvent the material quality issues, some brands have resorted to sourcing American made materials and having them shipped over to china for cut and sew. This actually yields a very high quality product at a decent price. The facts are just simple. Chinese labor is more skilled and vastly cheaper than American labor. If I put 25 American hours into sewing a plate carrier, at a state minimum wage of 12.25 an hour I should be charging $300 just for the labor alone. Besides raw labor costs there may be some stitching that cant be seen from the outside. As a shop I could easily sew these hidden seems only one time and they would probably last. I sew them 5 times. It sucks but I KNOW that plate carrier will never fail. A Chinese company doesn't really care.
    I was the one asking the question re: nylon. Thanks for the answer, that's helpful.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    To check Country of Origin on Streamlight products, go to the product’s page, scroll down to the bottom and click “documentation”, then “fact sheet”. Country of Origin is bottom center of the fact sheet. Some are made in china; some are assembled in USA, such as the TLR VIR II.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    To check Country of Origin on Streamlight products, go to the product’s page, scroll down to the bottom and click “documentation”, then “fact sheet”. Country of Origin is bottom center of the fact sheet. Some are made in china; some are assembled in USA, such as the TLR VIR II.
    Thanks, I never knew how to check that before.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    The purpose of visible irons through your site is as a back up, and also to aid in finding the dot if necessary.
    If you need irons to aid finding the Dot, you might be better off without one.
    I don’t disagree with BUIS.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    If you need irons to aid finding the Dot, you might be better off without one.
    I don’t disagree with BUIS.
    I don't agree that you'd be better off without one. I've only really transitioned to red dots on my pistols in the past couple of years, as my eyes got to the point where I could no longer get a crisp front sight focus without glasses. I've only got a few thousand rounds down range with red dots on pistols, and probably several hundred presentations. I can consistently find the dot immediately, except when I'm trying to shoot in awkward positions using strong or weak hand. In those situations, I can often find the dot quickly, though not immediately as when doing a standard presentation from holstered.

It's really in those extenuating situations that I see some aid in finding the dot from the buis. If you don't experience this, you train way more than I do, in which case, kudos! Either way, there's no way I'm better off without the dot because I use the irons to find it on rare occasion.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I don't agree that you'd be better off without one. I've only really transitioned to red dots on my pistols in the past couple of years, as my eyes got to the point where I could no longer get a crisp front sight focus without glasses. I've only got a few thousand rounds down range with red dots on pistols, and probably several hundred presentations. I can consistently find the dot immediately, except when I'm trying to shoot in awkward positions using strong or weak hand. In those situations, I can often find the dot quickly, though not immediately as when doing a standard presentation from holstered.

It's really in those extenuating situations that I see some aid in finding the dot from the buis. If you don't experience this, you train way more than I do, in which case, kudos! Either way, there's no way I'm better off without the dot because I use the irons to find it on rare occasion.
    Try what member Titsonritz mentioned in another thread where we were discussing this. He removed his buis altogether until he was proficient with the dot. What you’re doing is introducing a training scar. If they’re not there at all it will bring you to the point of not needing to spend that split second referencing your irons and transitioning to the dot. Unless you’re taking a highly accurate shot, you just need to get the dot somewhere in the window.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Inkslinger View Post
    Try what member Titsonritz mentioned in another thread where we were discussing this. He removed his buis altogether until he was proficient with the dot. What you’re doing is introducing a training scar. If they’re not there at all it will bring you to the point of not needing to spend that split second referencing your irons and transitioning to the dot. Unless you’re taking a highly accurate shot, you just need to get the dot somewhere in the window.
    I think it is those odd firing positions that might give you problems finding the dot right away. That is why the ACSS Vulcan reticle that Primary Arms came out with solves the problem without buis.

If it is dead center, you don't see the outer ring at all.
    Last edited by Adrenaline_6; 01-17-22 at 13:50.

Feedback Score
    Part of the reason I went to just a front sight was the rear sight was slowing me down getting to the dot. As stated I use the red dot as a big ghost ring with the front sight.

One of the things that surprised me when I was shooting my friends Holosun was how useful the big circle surrounding the dot was for fast corrections in presentation. I was really trying to do bad presentations and see if it could be a good tool and it was.

I carried a DR. Optic for years with no back up irons and never had an issue.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    Country of Origin is bottom center of the fact sheet. Some are made in china; some are assembled in USA, such as the TLR VIR II.
    How much does Assembled in USA matter to everyone? For my first red dot I searched high and low until I found a Romeo4 "Assembled in USA" for $200. Then I read comments to the effect of doesn't matter, it's just a Chinese Holosun. When I wanted another red dot I said screw it and got a Romeo5 for $100. I frankly don't know how to feel about that.

Page 10 of 28 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast