Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Make You Think Twice Before Buying a Polymer Lower Receiver

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RUTGERS95 View Post
    I've no desire to own one nor will I however, this lower did pretty well. I do believe with advances in polymers etc, they may be viable in the future as we already have poly products stronger than steel with a 1/10 the weight. The real issue I see is the environmental impacts for instance, how will they do in artic conditions? impressive regardless but still only for a .22
    Agreed, this is for the 'nice to have something different' crowd, but there's enough of those to make this relatively successful. And there's no telling how the tech will continue to evolve.

Feedback Score
    I owned two complete poly lowers, a Plum Crazy and a New Frontier. Back when a Rock River Arms complete lower was $250, these were $99. All parts including the FCG were plastic except for the bolt catch.

The hammer on the New Frontier started to disintegrate, causing double taps. Later one of the detent pins for the takedown pins snapped off. Got rid of both eventually.

Now the original pic looks like someone either fell on it or tried to mortar it.

For range use, they’re fine. But aluminum isn’t that much more these days.

Feedback Score

My take on polymer lowers

I picked up a few KE Arms lowers one set up with a light weight 20 in barrel the other with a light weight 18 in mid but as many here I don't just have one AR to go with. If it fails I'm out less than what I normally expend in ammo on a range trip. Then I've still got a good lower parts group and upper, I might have a few stripped lowers waiting for parts too. I wouldn't recommend one for anything larger than 5.56 but I've been using one with 20 in barrel and suppressor since they were available, not ran hard but suppressed. I wouldn't recommend any other polymer lower heck a few years ago someone made a lower out of wood that works. Now that is a failure in the making. Farm Crafter has made one from cast beer cans and a AR-10 from brass lower both are sand castings. Now my oh S### out the door would be my SBR or 6920. Now I wouldn't issue or equip a unit to go to battle with them yet, but I do think there is potential in polymer for rifles in AR-15 platform. The AR-10, AR-15 started with that "new fangled" aluminum and plastic in 1950-60s look what that has done to modern warfare alone. The lower may end up looking a lot different than what it does now. Yes most if not all before now have been hot garbage.
    Food for though.
    NRA Life Member.

Feedback Score
    I have a Tegra lower as a base for an A2 carbine, and it's holding up well. It's a range carbine I built to train my kids. Tegra has a lifetime on it: I spoke with them prior to purchase and they are fascinating folks. I like innovative products but I wouldn't use it as a defensive carbine. I have plenty of lowers I could swap out with it if it ever breaks. It's pretty attractive and light.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by blade_68 View Post
    I picked up a few KE Arms lowers one set up with a light weight 20 in barrel the other with a light weight 18 in mid but as many here I don't just have one AR to go with. If it fails I'm out less than what I normally expend in ammo on a range trip. Then I've still got a good lower parts group and upper, I might have a few stripped lowers waiting for parts too. I wouldn't recommend one for anything larger than 5.56 but I've been using one with 20 in barrel and suppressor since they were available, not ran hard but suppressed. I wouldn't recommend any other polymer lower heck a few years ago someone made a lower out of wood that works. Now that is a failure in the making. Farm Crafter has made one from cast beer cans and a AR-10 from brass lower both are sand castings. Now my oh S### out the door would be my SBR or 6920. Now I wouldn't issue or equip a unit to go to battle with them yet, but I do think there is potential in polymer for rifles in AR-15 platform. The AR-10, AR-15 started with that "new fangled" aluminum and plastic in 1950-60s look what that has done to modern warfare alone. The lower may end up looking a lot different than what it does now. Yes most if not all before now have been hot garbage.
    Food for though.
    actually, I'm expecting to see more of the 'pressed wood' design as it's stronger than steel at 1/10th the weight. This type of wood is now being used in aviation and boating to great success as the barometric stress is less on the wood too.

people laughed at the mosquito too and you are right on where the overall platform has come from in the 50s and 60s

good post

Feedback Score
    My father is a pilot and we attend events each year prior to the virus hysteria, and I have come across a bunch of X models and I am always interested to see the materials they are using. I have also been working with woods for years and have learned a great deal about composites, joints, and bonding adhesives etc. They still make car frames out of woods, and fibers. I asked an X model pilot about kevlar and he immediately redirected me to carbon fiber. Nature has evolved materials far stronger than steel: take the spiders web. Those who analyze these natural materials and use AI to model them, will be the pioneers of the future in materials engineering.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456