Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Make You Think Twice Before Buying a Polymer Lower Receiver

Feedback Score
    I would tell you to only good brands I personally I stay away for Anderson and other new brands that have came to market up over the last few year most of them are garbage.

Feedback Score
    Never thought once about a poly AR.
    Go Ukraine! Piss on the Russian dead.

Feedback Score
    My very first AR was a polymer lower. It's still in the safe and functions properly. When I purchased the New Frontier polymer I have, the panic was high and I felt like having an AR was better than not, no matter the materials. Everything since, all aluminum. I don't plan on going back for another polymer, but printing one is an attractive option.

I firmly believe most failures can be traced to an over torqued castle nut. When 20 ft lbs is spec'd, hand tight can easily exceed that. I don't think polymer lowers are perfect, but I do believe when assembled properly, and inspected regularly, they shouldn't fail fantastically at the range. And therefore photos such as this are given more credit than they deserve. Possibly as a form of advertising/ endorsing something else. Of course, we all know what opinions are like.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    my only question is why when you can buy a standard lower for $50 give or take. $10 or so does not warrant enough of a difference to buy a poly lower regardless of function.

Poly lowers are what $30? You can buy Anderson at $40-50 so why is how I view it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RUTGERS95 View Post
    my only question is why when you can buy a standard lower for $50 give or take. $10 or so does not warrant enough of a difference to buy a poly lower regardless of function.
    For me, in the days/ weeks following Obama's election, it was due to availability. I admit I bought because I was concerned about potential legislation. In retrospect, I could have easily waited for an aluminum lower.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 3beansalad View Post
    My very first AR was a polymer lower. It's still in the safe and functions properly. When I purchased the New Frontier polymer I have, the panic was high and I felt like having an AR was better than not, no matter the materials. Everything since, all aluminum. I don't plan on going back for another polymer, but printing one is an attractive option.

I firmly believe most failures can be traced to an over torqued castle nut. When 20 ft lbs is spec'd, hand tight can easily exceed that. I don't think polymer lowers are perfect, but I do believe when assembled properly, and inspected regularly, they shouldn't fail fantastically at the range. And therefore photos such as this are given more credit than they deserve. Possibly as a form of advertising/ endorsing something else. Of course, we all know what opinions are like.

Hand tight on the castle nut doesn't seem like a good long term reliability situation.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    For me, in the days/ weeks following Obama's election, it was due to availability. I admit I bought because I was concerned about potential legislation. In retrospect, I could have easily waited for an aluminum lower.

I get that, you were not alone there. We live and learn, I keep a few spare......ALWAYS! LOL

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TomMcC View Post
    Hand tight on the castle nut doesn't seem like a good long term reliability situation.
    I believe you misread my words, but I don't disagree. Manufacturers have specs for a reason though.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I believe you misread my words, but I don't disagree. Manufacturers have specs for a reason though.

I was going off the first two sentences of your second paragraph. Is 20 ft/lbs a plastic receiver spec? I thought for aluminum receivers it was something like 35-40 ft/lbs.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TomMcC View Post
    I was going off the first two sentences of your second paragraph. Is 20 ft/lbs a plastic receiver spec? I thought for aluminum receivers it was something like 35-40 ft/lbs.
    I'm sure every manufacturer is different but for the New Frontier lower I found on their current site, yes. 20 ft lbs max for the castle nut.

https://www.newfrontierarmory.com/pr...n-fiber-lower/

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast