Thread: What happens when a .357 SWCLHP is pushed?

Feedback Score

What happens when a .357 SWCLHP is pushed?

Many makes of .357 semi-wadcutter lead hollow point bullets fired from factory .38 special ammo don't expand in snub-nosed guns. They don't always from 4 inch barrels, either.

They seem to need 850 fps minimum. Many factory +P loads from 4 inch barrels barely make that. Some brands of 158 gr SWCLHP lead bullet expand sooner than other depending on cavity shape and lead hardness level.

So what about firing them from a .357 magnum case with a mild powder charge? 950 fps would be no problem from a snub-nosed gun. 1050-1100 fps from a 4 inch gun.

Lead in the 15 Brunell hardness range should have good obturation and expand at that velocity.

Perhaps someone has put a hot .38 Special +P 158 LSWCHP through a 6 or 8 inch barrel into a test medium? That might get the bullet up to that 950+ fps range.

Any info on this?

Why, you ask? Because lead is cheap.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Buffalo Bore has a leading that's just over 1000 FPS. From what I've seen it does well in testing.

I've read though that those bullets start to come apart pretty bad when pushed to full house 357 velocities.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The actual hardness of the projectile alloy is going to come in to play. Most of the .38 bullets are made to be very soft to expand at those velocities—so pushing them in to overdrive is probably going to going to cause the bullet to over expand. Obviously you can make a hard cast slug that will perform at full house magnum velocities. I have been impressed by the Buffalo Bore bullets—their FBI load is beating 1000fps from a snub and there are a lot of gel tests showing it performing very well.
    OEF / OIR / OFS

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    Many makes of .357 semi-wadcutter lead hollow point bullets fired from factory .38 special ammo don't expand in snub-nosed guns. They don't always from 4 inch barrels, either.

They seem to need 850 fps minimum. Many factory +P loads from 4 inch barrels barely make that. Some brands of 158 gr SWCLHP lead bullet expand sooner than other depending on cavity shape and lead hardness level.

So what about firing them from a .357 magnum case with a mild powder charge? 950 fps would be no problem from a snub-nosed gun. 1050-1100 fps from a 4 inch gun.

Lead in the 15 Brunell hardness range should have good obturation and expand at that velocity.

Perhaps someone has put a hot .38 Special +P 158 LSWCHP through a 6 or 8 inch barrel into a test medium? That might get the bullet up to that 950+ fps range.

Any info on this?

Why, you ask? Because lead is cheap.
    15 BNH is a little too hard for good expansion at those lower velocities, ime. Better around 12, with a wheel weight alloy or similar.

Lead isn't as cheap as it used to be, but if you can find a good source of wheel weights then stock up

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnerblue View Post
    15 BNH is a little too hard for good expansion at those lower velocities, ime. Better around 12, with a wheel weight alloy or similar.

Lead isn't as cheap as it used to be, but if you can find a good source of wheel weights then stock up
    I'd rather push the bullet faster then.

If it flattens out to .45-.50 caliber it's going to need more speed for deep penetration. If the expanded ring peels away that's fine if the core keeps going.

I've been using 158 gr XTP's to develop a SD load but a 158 gr LHP can be had for less than half the price.

I wouldn't mind a heavier LHP if that was available. Haven't looked for that yet.

I don't cast my own bullets.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I don’t understand the need for cheap and good SD load together.

Buy a small quantity of good SD ammo then load the cheapest practice ammo that shoots to the same POA.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    I don’t understand the need for cheap and good SD load together.

Buy a small quantity of good SD ammo then load the cheapest practice ammo that shoots to the same POA.
    Oh, just so I could buy one kind in bulk for less. I do have 158 gr truncated lead for practice and am working on a 158 gr XTP carry load.

A LHP would cost closer to the practice bullet and would be all I need, just loaded to different velocities. Just an attempt to simplify.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Sounds reasonable. I wouldn’t make the change unless you get some real solid info on the velocity and performance, it’s not worth giving up known consistency for a few bucks.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    wrong post
    Last edited by Alaskapopo; 01-09-22 at 18:40.
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.