Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Setting up rifles for NVGs.

Feedback Score
    64 (98%)

Setting up rifles for NVGs.

Since I am getting into night vision I feel it is important to have at least a couple my rifles set up for use with it.

I would like to set up my 10.5 and 14.5 Noveske rifles at 5he bare minimum.

Mainly I am worried about optics, but do wonder about illumination as well. The majority of what I have are older Aimpoint H1s. They have always fulfilled my needs so I have never bothered to change them out.
    Obviously however these are not well suited to night vision.

It seems my choices are to upgrade to T2/m5s, Trijicon MROs, or Eotech EXPS.

I currently own an MRO patrol but am unsure how well it works with night vision. Regardless I would need at least 1 more optic.

Which of these do you all feel are best suited to use with a PVS14? I like the idea of the larger window in the Eotech but haven’t used once since before the XPS line came out. So I am not sure how more modern ones perform.

Secondly what are my best options for lights? I hate to lose the good illumination provided by my main lights just to get IR but that seems to be common. Should I run a second IR dedicated light or should I consider something like a PEQ15? Or is there a more modular system I could move from one to the other when needed?
    Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)
    In my experience the Mro is horrible under nods. The M5 and T2 are hard to beat, although the larger viewing window of the eotech is pretty sweet. The vortex UH-1 is another great option that’s I’ve used.
    Last edited by VIP3R 237; 01-02-22 at 22:36.
    I paint spaceship parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Stippled Glocks are like used underwear; previous owner makes all the difference in value.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    It is my understanding EoTech are the best optic under NODs.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    IMO this is the most difficult decision in the night vision setup.
    It depends if you plan on using dual or a single tube and using passive vs active aiming.
    If you are active aiming, the optic doesn't mean much, but if you go passive, a NV compatable optics are more important.

Sent from my SM-T860 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    For passive aiming with The PVS 14 mount the tube over your dominant eye.

Optics-
    For passive aiming magnified optics the Vortex HD line can be used as a NV compatible red dot.
    The Aimpoint T2 and Comp M5 are excellent red dots for passive aiming.

IR-
    The BE Meyers MAWL is the hotness
    The Steiner DBAL D2 is an excellent option as far as performance.

Lights-
    With the Steiner illuminator I don't need addition illumination.
    Last edited by prepare; 01-03-22 at 07:29.
    You won't outvote the corruption.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    A extra high mount will make it easier to get on the optic, something like 1.93 or 2.03.

This is a pretty good tutorial on available IR devices.

“The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    Echoing what was said before… run your PVS-14 over your dominate eye for passive shooting. Aimpoint T1/2/M5 are all great options, along with the NV compatible EOtechs. You will need a riser or NVG height mount (Scalarworks 1.93, Unity Tactical mounts etc) to position your optic high enough, in order to be viewed through your 14’.

Lasers: MAWL is nice, but pricey… Steiner A3 or D series are not too bad, for the price point.
    EATADIK.

Feedback Score
    The high mounts are a must for consistency and making shots in the compressed time and opportunity that real world targets (both man and animal) are available.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Feedback Score
    Just to play the odd man out. My read is that you have purchased(or will) a 14 monacle.

I'd run it over your non-dom eye. Run your current optics both eyes open. Get a dbal (or other IR laser/illum module according to taste/budget). Get some training and/or practice.

Get shooting in the dark first.
    Go Ukraine! Piss on the Russian dead.

Feedback Score
    The main reason I run a 14 over my dominant eye is because it more natural to passively shoot a red dot pistol.

Like anything else there are pros an cons. In a white light scenario just flip it up. With practice its pretty fast. Thats pretty much what you have to do with bins too if the lights come on.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast