Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Setting up rifles for NVGs.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by utahjeepr View Post
    Just to play the odd man out. My read is that you have purchased(or will) a 14 monacle.

I'd run it over your non-dom eye. Run your current optics both eyes open. Get a dbal (or other IR laser/illum module according to taste/budget). Get some training and/or practice.

Get shooting in the dark first.

Passive NVG shooting is the rage these days (with good cause) due to the proliferation of affordable night vision equipment on the market. One would be inclined to train for/prepare for an engagement with an opponent who may have NVG equipment. Passive shooting will lower your signature prior to/during an engagement, because you aren’t projecting infrared laser energy (which is a virtual “shoot here” beacon).
    EATADIK.

Feedback Score
    53 (100%)
    With binos, you should consider wearing them slightly higher in your FOV so you can peek under them if it spontaneously goes white light.

I'll echo the PVS-14 over non-dominant eye recommendation above. Yes, it's more natural to wear it over your dominant eye and passively aim through an RDS. However, when worn on the non-dom eye, you can seamlessly go between WML+optic or laser+NODs without taking your hands off of your weapon. Keep the gain turned down on the -14 and you also get a pretty wide FOV once your non-aided eye adapts to the darkness.

I'd start with setting up my kit to work under both visible and IR by optimizing white light and optic setup and getting a laser for IR.

Then, go get quality training. Two guys that come to mind are Jamey Caldwell and Chuck Pressburg.

If you're within a few hours drive of the Fayetteville NC area, there are NV shooting matches that are open enrollment.

Feedback Score
    Spot on info!
    EATADIK.

Feedback Score
    64 (98%)
    For those asking, I have a PVS14 single tube with a J arm and rhino mount currently. I would love to do Binos eventually but that is a bit out of my budget at the moment.
    Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kwelz View Post
    For those asking, I have a PVS14 single tube with a J arm and rhino mount currently. I would love to do Binos eventually but that is a bit out of my budget at the moment.
    Don't sound apologetic, it's a solid start. I run a 14 on an INVG mount. Not anything more than you have. I may go bino someday but budget and priorities are a thing.

Non-dom and a red dot works. Don't think about it, it'll screw with your brain. Just try it.

I get the passive thing. Trouble is for PID and target discrimination you ain't gonna get by without throwing illum, and if you are gonna be throwing sig might as well have the laser too.

On a budget and getting started running "coax" with your current red dots is a passive solution. Do you have white lights on your guns? An OTAL and an IR head would be a cheap entry level illum/laser.

I want to dive deeper into personal nv/thermal/xray specs but like you I gotta eat too so...
    Go Ukraine! Piss on the Russian dead.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mack7.62 View Post
    A extra high mount will make it easier to get on the optic, something like 1.93 or 2.03.

This is a pretty good tutorial on available IR devices.

Being new to Night Vision I found this Vid very informative.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    OP, here's a link to some other useful threads.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

Feedback Score
    64 (98%)
    I do run white lights on all my guns. Currently I run a mix of Cloud Defensive Reins and Surefire DF scouts. Although I am trying to phase the scouts out for Modlites.

I did pick up a surefire handheld IR flashlight and could just buy a Reptilia body for it if needed. I wish someone made a DF IR head

Quote Originally Posted by utahjeepr View Post
    Don't sound apologetic, it's a solid start. I run a 14 on an INVG mount. Not anything more than you have. I may go bino someday but budget and priorities are a thing.

Non-dom and a red dot works. Don't think about it, it'll screw with your brain. Just try it.

I get the passive thing. Trouble is for PID and target discrimination you ain't gonna get by without throwing illum, and if you are gonna be throwing sig might as well have the laser too.

On a budget and getting started running "coax" with your current red dots is a passive solution. Do you have white lights on your guns? An OTAL and an IR head would be a cheap entry level illum/laser.

I want to dive deeper into personal nv/thermal/xray specs but like you I gotta eat too so...
    Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I do run white lights on all my guns. Currently I run a mix of Cloud Defensive Reins and Surefire DF scouts. Although I am trying to phase the scouts out for Modlites.

I did pick up a surefire handheld IR flashlight and could just buy a Reptilia body for it if needed. I wish someone made a DF IR head
    Modlite has two IR heads that fit a surefire DF

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "The most important rule in a gunfight is: Always win and cheat if necessary." ~ Clint Smith

Feedback Score
    53 (100%)
    Should I run a second IR dedicated light or should I consider something like a PEQ15? Or is there a more modular system I could move from one to the other when needed?
    There's no need to do this. Because you're asking for advice on rifle setup, I figure I'll share my primary rifle and explain the rationale behind it.

I'm running a Surefire M620V, LA-5, and Unity TAPS Sync V4. Previously, I always used the Surefire dual switch and the V4 offers the ability for me to run white light and laser "independently" like the SF-DT switch, although yes- the IR laser will still fire when I engage the white light, but I can run the laser WITHOUT the light so I can still do either/or as needed. I chose the TAPS Sync so I can benefit from white+vis laser when shooting with a pro mask or the IR+pointer when I want a generous IR flood without having to monkey with the focus on my illuminator.

The M620V is mounted on an Arisaka Side Scout Mount. I can freely adjust the rotating bezel without interfering with the laser, and the Midwest Ind PEQ front sight allows full rotation of the illuminator cover.

Compared to the MAWL-C1+, obviously the LA-5 eclipses it with regards to IR performance. However, the MAWL has the low power/CQB settings that provide an IR flood illumination similar to the M620V. If I were in the market for a laser for an SBR, I would absolutely be taking a hard look at the MAWL. If the price isn't realistic for your budget, the DBAL-D2 has a killer IR illuminator as well. The DBAL-A3 is also a solid starter laser, especially when stacked with a dual spectrum light like the Surefire.

Avoid the ATPIAL-C. The illuminator is garbage.

Here's an example of the M620V illumination. Plate rack is ~25y from the vehicle in this clip.

Last edited by GTF425; 01-04-22 at 09:25.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast