Thread: Wet ammo

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Wet ammo

I have several thousand rounds of various calibers of ammunition that was submerged in fresh-water for approximately 6-8 hours, then dried out. 2,000 rounds of federal .22lr, 1,000 rounds of UMC .45acp, 1,000 rounds of Wolf polymer coated .223 that's a bit rusted, an unknown count on a SHIT load of lead ball .45acp that's all white from "lead rust," and unknown count piles of various 223/556 reloads, few boxes of aluminum blazer .38s and .357s, etc., etc.

i saved it thinking i might have a burn-it-up party, but now that i've dug it out and looking through it i'm having visuals of primer ignition no ignites, getting projectiles stuck in bores, hang-fires, etc, etc...

anyone have any thoughts/experiences?
    Last edited by bkb0000; 12-15-08 at 12:08. Reason: silly spelling

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    yes I have 100 rounds of Geco 9mm and Winchester slugs submerged for over 48 hrs. All the 9mm fired as well as the slugs. The slugs had accurratecy problems.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Shoot it.

I had some hand loads that a buddy kept in a house with a swamp cooler once. The moisture destroyed the integrity of the brass to where the case necks wouldn't hold the bullet. I think we got some of it to fire. But after seeing how bad it was we scraped the rest of it.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

update

ALL the wolf and UMC .223 shot fine- I did clean up the wolf a couple nights ago, though- i saw all the rust crusted around the bullet and couldnt bear the idea of grinding that into any of my bores. wasted about an hour rubbing them down with a mild solvent.

just about all the UMC .45 fired fine- we did have a couple FTF. the powdery lead-nose .45 kept hanging up on the feedramp, but i didn't clean any of it. had i rubbed off all the lead-rust im sure it would hav fed ok. lots of FTFs with that stuff.

the real problems were the .22lr- i had two bricks of federal that were entirely un-firable and lots of FTFs on thunderbolts- about 1 per 10.

the .38 and .357 blazers all shot fine with no FTFs, as did all the random mixed up stray .223s, .32s, 45s, 38s, 357s i've been collecting in a big box from dumped magazines and half-full boxes. found a bunch of 556 tracers in there, which was a cool surprise. one of my buddies had never seen tracers in action before. all shot fine.

was a good day at the range- not too often a guy gets to blow several thousand rounds off in a few hours without rounds coming in.