Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Loctite on optics???

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp View Post
    Wait what? Sounds like sorcery...I must buy some
    I looked this up when I originally read this thread. I’m intrigued……

When installing optics, I used to use blue loctite on everything. Eventually I got away from it because further reading/research has told me no loctite. I have 1 mount with loctite and all the others don’t. I haven’t had an issue with any of them.

I will definitely be buying the 290 to maybe try it out. Be advised though, it requires heat when removing the screws.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    So I just went to the desert and checked zero after pulling the screws one by one....

The zero was only 6" left at 50 yards.

so yea I re-zerod now with confidence that my mount won't come loose and my gun has a good zero.
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    This result surprises me.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I must say I'm surprised the shift was so great, but proof's in the pudding, and you're GTG now.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by davidjinks View Post
    I will definitely be buying the 290 to maybe try it out. Be advised though, it requires heat when removing the screws.
    I don't know about that. I've used Loctite 290 before (not on small optics screws though) and never needed to use heat to remove them. It always seemed like regular medium strength blue Loctite after it cured/dried.

I never would have believed 290 would work unless I saw it for myself, but it works well. I usually use it on car related bolts and screws. There is something I don't like about the idea of using it on optics screws. Maybe it's the small size of the screws or that the end of the screw often doesn't go all the way through the mount material.

Joe Mamma
    "Reliability above all else"
    NRA Certified Pistol and Rifle Instructor, Life Member
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Beretta & Sig Sauer Certified Pistol Armorer
    Colt Certified 1911 & AR-15/M16/M4 Law Enforcement Armorer

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mamma View Post
    I don't know about that. I've used Loctite 290 before (not on small optics screws though) and never needed to use heat to remove them. It always seemed like regular medium strength blue Loctite after it cured/dried.

I never would have believed 290 would work unless I saw it for myself, but it works well. I usually use it on car related bolts and screws. There is something I don't like about the idea of using it on optics screws. Maybe it's the small size of the screws or that the end of the screw often doesn't go all the way through the mount material.

Joe Mamma
    All I know is what was stated on the website in regards to the heat.

https://www.henkel-adhesives.com/us/...ctite_290.html

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by turnburglar View Post
    So I just went to the desert and checked zero after pulling the screws one by one....

The zero was only 6" left at 50 yards.

so yea I re-zerod now with confidence that my mount won't come loose and my gun has a good zero.
    There you go, your experience is now our experience. Thanks.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I've been using "gun-tite". It seems to be working OK.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score

It is a good idea to me

Quote Originally Posted by turnburglar View Post
    Hey shooter's just wanted to check in and see if anyone else has had problems.

If I do want to comb through my mounts does anyone know if pulling the scews one at a time and then adding loctite and retorqing will affect my zero? I guess I might find out the hard way.

Use the Loctite; mark your mounts on the rails with a paint pen; return them to the same spot; then you can hit the range to confirm zero, but you shouldn't have a big issue. If you have two different optics for the same rifle, use a different color paint for each optic (so you replace them to the same position).

Feedback Score
    Speaking of Loctite...

While discussing a trivial matter with LaRue I learned the below.

H1/T1 Loctite mount screws = Yes
    H2/T2 Loctite mount screws = Do NOT

According to Dan at LaRue the reason Aimpoint advises not to use Loctite on H2/T2 is that it could strip the helicoil out of the optic body if ever having to remove the optic from the mount.

Last edited by ChattanoogaPhil; 02-21-22 at 12:57.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast