Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Loctite on optics???

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Always. I use 90% alcohol, brush the screws and use a semi stripped Qtip to get the female part. Blue and while not scientific will go under torque a tad so there's no wet/dry torque problems. There is a chart or formula to adjust torque. I've yet to have one loosen, regardless of pistol, light .308 semi's etc. It's important to follow (or close to) manufactures advise. Big one is go by the scope not the mount such as a NF mount and Vortex optic. Vortex's tube must be thin as it's 15-18, NF are 20-25 I believe. Of course, just a wee bit is needed, no need to coat the entire screw.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve-0- View Post
    Just stick to this plan.

If it has a screw, its gets blue.

Thank me later
    Right.

I used to religiously use the red 271. I would just remember to use plenty of heat before removing.

And then one day I pulled a helicoil out of an ACOG. I didn't know what a helicoil was until I did that.

Live and learn, I guess.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Always. I decrease with acetone and, once, dry, use only a wee bit of blue loctite on each screw. Knock on wood but I haven't had an optic loosen yet in spite of heavy/repeated recoil, being dropped in the mountains, banged off trees etc.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I use a small dab of blue loctite on my mount screws. I have yet to experience any of the screws come loose.
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    I've been bitten in the past by not locktiting my screws (cost me big in a local State finale PRS match when my actual scope base came lose). Now, if it has a screw, it gets the blue. I literally loctite pretty much anything that uses a screw any more and never have issues with anything coming lose.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve-0- View Post
    Just stick to this plan.

If it has a screw, its gets blue.

Thank me later
    ha, love that and spot on!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I use medium thread locker on pretty much any screw or bolt going into any firearm accessory, unless the manufacturer specifically says not to. Even then, some will recommend against it and maybe put a lower torque specification if using thread locker (acts as a lubricant I guess)...I use it anyway.

"If it has a screw, it gets the blue"...yeah I"m stealing that

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Blue on the screws that secure the mount to the optic. Not on the bolts that secure the mount to the receiver.

I had an optic come loose from the mount during a class....lesson learned.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Purple on scope mounts.
    Few things in life more irritating than wet socks. Stripped screws is one of them.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by turnburglar View Post
    If I do want to comb through my mounts does anyone know if pulling the scews one at a time and then adding loctite and retorqing will affect my zero? I guess I might find out the hard way.
    There are a lot of different and good opinions in this thread. I will add that you might want to consider green Loctite (#290). It's intended to be put on screws that have already been tightened, without having to loosen them. It just seeps into the threads.

I like Loctite 290, and it works well in my experience. But I've never used it on optics screws, and I doubt I would use it in your situation. I just want to put it out there as another option to consider.

Joe Mamma
    "Reliability above all else"
    NRA Certified Pistol and Rifle Instructor, Life Member
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Beretta & Sig Sauer Certified Pistol Armorer
    Colt Certified 1911 & AR-15/M16/M4 Law Enforcement Armorer

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast