Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Loctite on optics???

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Loctite on optics???

Hey shooter's just wanted to check in and see if anyone else has had problems.

Does anyone use blue loctite on their optic mounts? I really want my shit to be more bomb proof. I just got back from zeroing and out of habit wanted to check all the mounts before I put the guns away. Sure enough one was loose.

If I do want to comb through my mounts does anyone know if pulling the scews one at a time and then adding loctite and retorqing will affect my zero? I guess I might find out the hard way.
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by turnburglar View Post

Does anyone use blue loctite on their optic mounts? I really want my shit to be more bomb proof. I just got back from zeroing and out of habit wanted to check all the mounts before I put the guns away. Sure enough one was loose.

If I do want to comb through my mounts does anyone know if pulling the scews one at a time and then adding loctite and retorqing will affect my zero? I guess I might find out the hard way.
    I do use loctite on all my optics screws. I have not removed my screws after zeroing, but have removed them one at a time to loctite them when first setting up the mount and scope in the mount. Doing this I have not noticed any movement of the mount or the scope.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Yes, for the mounts Blue LT is a good plan. You should not see a shift in zero removing one at a time or probably all at a time. There is a first time for everything. But depends on the mount for repeatability.

Ive had a red dot hit me in the forehead bc I didn't loctite it.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    The type of thread-locker and the material involved makes a HUGE difference as does oil on the threads or bolt. The bolt and threads should be degreased. There is a primer-less blue Loctite that is much more forgiving of oil or non-oxide substrates. This is 243 Loctite vs the 242 stuff you can buy off the shelf.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    You aren't tacticool if you aren't using Loctite 222MS purple mil-spec.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I suggest not using loctite on your rings screws. I used to do this before I knew better, loctite when wet acts as a lubricant making your torque wrenches inaccurate which can lead to over torquing. Over torquing your rings can damage your optic or put pressure on the tube so it won't track right.
    Last edited by vicious_cb; 01-05-22 at 01:15.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I use blue on all my mounts and that makes them pretty much bomb proof. I guess I'm not tacti-cool, I no longer buy Loctite because they're woke communists. I use Vibra-Tite, they're probably communists too, just less obvious about it. Vibra-tite is far less runny than loctite.

Most torque spec's, as I have been taught, assume lubrication, which is why you lube your barrel nut before torquing.

ETA: I too de-grease everything with 99% medical grade alcohol I have on hand for other purposes.
    Last edited by HKGuns; 01-05-22 at 07:03.

Feedback Score
    Just stick to this plan.

If it has a screw, its gets blue.

Thank me later
    "your AR is shit, change my mind" - Will Larson

I make work horses, not show ponies.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by turnburglar View Post

One at a time, Loctite, re-torque= no change in zero.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Vibra-tite VC-3. No need to re apply if you have to change something.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast