Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ok, experts, pro's and commando's--SP5 or BT APC9 Pro?

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)

Ok, experts, pro's and commando's--SP5 or BT APC9 Pro?

Who has what and any drawbacks to either? One at a time-can't "get both" --not right away anyhow!

I do like the 3 types of lowers on the Pro, any preference on mags? For what it's worth, not reliving Die Hard or my MP5 SWAT days. Just fun on the range, not fighting zombies and may one day do the E file junk.

Much appreciated
    Mark
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I have both, the SP5 and APC9 Pro. These are my personal opinions (obviously). I like both of them but for different reasons. I think if I could only have 1, I would pick the B&T as it is more evolved than the SP5.

APC9 Pro—Pros:
    Better ergos
    Better trigger
    Perm top rail for sighting options
    BUIS
    LRBHO
    Multiple lower options (B&T mag, Glock mag, etc)

Cons:
    B&T mags not as robust as they could/should be
    Tri-lug only, no threaded muzzle

Shooting:
    Smooth recoil, suppresses well, accurate

SP5-Pros:
    Well established service history—reliable
    Robust magazines
    Solid iron sights

Cons:
    ergos
    trigger
    Optic mounting solutions (they are out there but more limiting than a pic rail)

Shooting: smooth recoil, suppresses very well, accurate
    Last edited by hotrodder636; 01-05-22 at 07:38.
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I am biased and have never even handled the B&T. They make top notch stuff so you would be good with either choice.

I bought the SP5K mainly for the historical significance of the "platform." The trigger is typical HK and not great, but its a very solid, well build tank of a pistol that I don't regret. Agree with the post above on the HK.
    Last edited by HKGuns; 01-05-22 at 07:32.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I just picked up the APC9 FDE yesterday, from the FFL. Have not shot it yet, but holy sh** this thing feels well put together. I don't have an SP5, due to the availability and increase in street price, but I do hope to add one at some point.

My only comparison is to my EVO 9, and the B&T feels light years ahead in quality and control placement.

Also if considering the B&T in FDE, RE: the brace, SB tactical and B&T are no longer offering their braces in FDE (excluding the SBA3/4 variety).

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Following. I've been toying with the idea of ditching the Mk18 for a PCC. I love the ballistics and commonality of the Mk18, but the mechanical issues with a barrel that short, the insane decibels, the cost of ammo, the way it kills silencers, etc. are all starting to really get on my nerves. And the PCC has the advantage of taking the same cartridge as my carry piece, which is nice. Would be awesome if it took Glock mags.

Speaking of which, what's the consensus on the APC9 with the Glock magwell? Is it as solid as the standard one?
    Last edited by okie; 01-05-22 at 10:49.

Feedback Score
    I have not shot the APC9, but it is carried by YAMAM which for sure means it is a good bit of kit.

SP9, it is also a good bit of kit, but outdated a little. I say that while the PTR 32 is my go to rifle and it suffers from the same issues as SP9, no bolt hold and not the greatest ergos.

I have shot a CMMG 9mm and was very impressed at how smooth it was.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by okie View Post
    Following. I've been toying with the idea of ditching the Mk18 for a PCC. I love the ballistics and commonality of the Mk18, but the mechanical issues with a barrel that short, the insane decibels, the cost of ammo, the way it kills silencers, etc. are all starting to really get on my nerves. And the PCC has the advantage of taking the same cartridge as my carry piece, which is nice. Would be awesome if it took Glock mags.

Speaking of which, what's the consensus on the APC9 with the Glock magwell? Is it as solid as the standard one?
    Same, though I want it to supplement my MK18. Have you had any/all of those issues (besides noise) with yours or are you just expecting them?

To the OP, I’ve never handled either but I’ve been watching the APCs for a while and many people seem to agree that the ergos are much better on the APC vs MP5 without sacrificing reliability. Lots of people have called it the modern evolution of the MP5 or something along those lines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by yoni View Post
    I have not shot the APC9, but it is carried by YAMAM which for sure means it is a good bit of kit.
    I would say that is a good indicator.
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Same, though I want it to supplement my MK18. Have you had any/all of those issues (besides noise) with yours or are you just expecting them?

To the OP, I’ve never handled either but I’ve been watching the APCs for a while and many people seem to agree that the ergos are much better on the APC vs MP5 without sacrificing reliability. Lots of people have called it the modern evolution of the MP5 or something along those lines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My main complaint with my SBRs is the gas to face. To get the noise to anything verging on tolerable, you end up changing the way it's gassed, making it less reliable (or at least more finicky), still getting some gas to face, making the action filthy, etc. I've had some failures to extract that were caused by the heavy fouling. I mean the cases go in pre fouled, so it's like a worst-case scenario.

I've not had any catastrophic failures yet, but I do know for a fact that SOF carry spare BCGs for their Mk18s when out in the field. From what I've gathered, all units have at least the weapons sergeant carrying a spare, and I know of at least one in the 10th where every single man carries one on his person as part of their unit's SOP. That's coming directly from their innovation officer, so not rumor.

Even if your bolt makes it to 6k, your barrel's gas port is pretty much trashed by that time. And they're already super overgassed to begin with. They'll run an H4 out of the box, and you will straight need an H3 after a few thousand rounds.

The new 223 prices are the icing on the cake, though. I've shot through all my stockpile, so now I have to either dip into my M855 (which is kind of pointless because I can't shoot steel with it), or pay like 50 cents a round for tula, which I don't think I can bring myself to do. I might look into reloading, I don't know. I started saving my brass when all that went down, just in case.

But yea, it was easy enough to overlook those shortcomings when 223 was cheap. Now not so much.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Think I may go with the BT, seems like there's no real negatives. My former life of never ending days on the range and a "box" of ammo (case or two) was a mere radio call are over so wearing one out is most likely not occurring. I know the SP5 has it's cult following and yes, they are just plain cool, but maybe later. I was looking at spare parts, appears they are available if needed. Any input as what ones I may need as spares? Guessing the usual springs, maybe extractor, firing pin? Or is it like having spares for a USP?
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast