Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Question re: accuracy with my BCM and LPVO

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Question re: accuracy with my BCM and LPVO

I've read through the whole BCM accuracy thread, which is why I decided to start this thread.

I have a standard (non CHF) 16" ELW BCM factory upper that up until now has worn an Aimpoint H2. At 50yds benched I have been able to shoot around 1.5" groups with this setup using Gold Dot 62gr.

For Christmas I bought a Trijicon Credo HX 1-6 in an ADM mount and put it on this BCM. I was excited to shoot it thinking I'd really be able to dial in the accuracy.

However, my group size is exactly the same now as it was with the Aimpoint. 1.5" with the Gold Dots and 3" with Federal XM193 at 50yds.

I'm not particularly happy with this, thinking the magnification should help shrink groups.

Reading the BCM accuracy threads I'm wondering if this is just how BCMs shoot.

Should I have higher expectations of this setup?

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Maybe try some match ammo.

M193 and Speer Gold Dots are not what I would use to check the accuracy/precision capability of my rifle/me.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Bonded bullets are not that accurate. And XM193 is flat out sloppy. Definitely have ammo as a weak link in achieving accuracy.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    1.5 MOA is what I've come to expect from quality button-rifled and CHF barrels (BCM, Colt, Sionics, Centurion) with 62 grain Gold Dots. I would try some match ammo at 100 yards to really see how well your barrel shoots.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnerblue View Post
    1.5 MOA is what I've come to expect from quality button-rifled and CHF barrels (BCM, Colt, Sionics, Centurion) with 62 grain Gold Dots. I would try some match ammo at 100 yards to really see how well your barrel shoots.
    This is what you should expect from a BCM for precision. Also a 1-6x isn’t the scope for proper precision evaluation of a platform. Something with more magnification so you can pick a specific corner of a square, not just “I can see the square” at 100.

Don’t use xm193 for anything other than punching holes in paper. The X is there for a reason. Something didn’t meet spec and got bounced. Try 69 and 77gr SMKs.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ggammell View Post
    The X is there for a reason. Something didn’t meet spec and got bounced.
    The stuff definitely doesn't meet spec in that I've seen a bunch of it with no sealant and stuff. But after all these years of XM ammo, I think it's just over-run stuff. Even with America's culture of mediocrity in manufacturing, I'd still be surprised to see billions of rounds of rejects come out of a plant.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by davidjinks View Post
    Maybe try some match ammo. M193 and Speer Gold Dots are not what I would use to check the accuracy/precision capability of my rifle/me.
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Bonded bullets are not that accurate. And XM193 is flat out sloppy. Definitely have ammo as a weak link in achieving accuracy.
    Don't underestimate that 62 Gold Dot. I was surprised to get ~1"/100yd, 5-round groups with precision barrel, optic, etc. It was repeatable over guns and lots as well. 64gr GDSP, not so good. I may have posted some of those groups here somewhere.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    That's obviously not good accuracy at 50 yds. I would ask the question about your technique off the bench. Are you removing any movement out of the buttstock by bagging it in some way? Thinking you can just shoulder it and take the movement out does not work well if you're trying to squeeze the gun for all it's worth. Any movement at the buttstock is exaggerated at the muzzle.
    Last edited by TomMcC; 01-06-22 at 11:26.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    Don't underestimate that 62 Gold Dot. I was surprised to get ~1"/100yd, 5-round groups with precision barrel, optic, etc. It was repeatable over guns and lots as well. 64gr GDSP, not so good. I may have posted some of those groups here somewhere.
    For sure. I've been thinking of switching over to bonded for real world use lately due to rampant shitheadery. But if I want to try for the best possible groups, I'm grabbing an OTM.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TomMcC View Post
    That's obviously not good accuracy at 50 yds. I would ask the question about your technique off the bench. Are you removing any movement out of the buttstock by bagging it in some way? Thinking you can just shoulder it and take the movement out does not work well if you're trying to squeeze the gun for all it's worth. Any movement at the buttstock is exaggerated at the muzzle.
    Not bagged, handguard resting on a backpack, buttstock pulled into my shoulder. Trigger is standard BCM PNT.

I understand it's not a good precision shooting technique. However, the fact that I shot exactly as well with a 2MOA Aimpoint versus a Trijicon scope at 6x surprised me.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast