Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Question re: accuracy with my BCM and LPVO

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzlyblake View Post
    Not bagged, handguard resting on a backpack, buttstock pulled into my shoulder. Trigger is standard BCM PNT.

I understand it's not a good precision shooting technique. However, the fact that I shot exactly as well with a 2MOA Aimpoint versus a Trijicon scope at 6x surprised me.
    My guess is you're just getting the same movement between the two optics at the shoulder. It doesn't take much.

6X should really have showed the movement, though.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I just want to say that diagnosing accuracy is actually a lot harder than it seems at face value.

My own BCM with ELW 16 barrel NON CHF will make my 62gr reloads touch each other like a clover leaf at 50 yards with a red dot.
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    What's the PNT trigger...5-6lbs. No doubt a good combat trigger, but there's a reason benchrest and and other precision rifle shooters have pretty light and precise breaking triggers.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I don't have great eyesight and am not a great shooter, so like I said I was just surprised that I didn't shoot any better with the LPVO than the Aimpoint.

That said, what should I expect to see out of this setup shooting without a sled and all?

I'm not chasing accuracy and am mainly looking to use this rifle to hog hunt (sub 200yd).

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I don't have great eyesight and am not a great shooter, so like I said I was just surprised that I didn't shoot any better with the LPVO than the Aimpoint.

That said, what should I expect to see out of this setup shooting without a sled and all?

I'm not chasing accuracy and am mainly looking to use this rifle to hog hunt (sub 200yd).
    Thats a very hard question to answer, because you are introducing variables. I would be disappointed if I was shooting 3 MOA groups using sandbags on a solid bench, 10X optic, and a light trigger. On the other hand, you know how precise you are under conditions that are more realistic during hunting.

Shooting the same with red dot and a scope just means that the optic was not the limiting factor.

Andy

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    You can extrapolate the groups sizes by doubling the distance. It's not exact because of other factors like wind at distance, etc. So, your groups will be something like 3" for the 62 gr. 6" for the M193 at 100yds., at 200 yds it will be 6", and 12". I think you'll be able to do way better than that once you get used to the scope.

For me, not great eyes either and a 4X scope, I can shoot my reloads about 2" at 100 yds, and usually get about 5" at 200 yds. off the bench.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    FWIW, I am certain your BCM and 6X scope are capable of 1-1.5 MOA, especially at 50 yards. Its just tougher to do without a solid rest and light trigger.

Andy

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)

Magnification won't make up for poor technique. Like I said, I think 1.5 MOA at 100 yards is what I'd expect and I would be comfortable hunting hogs and deer out to 200 yards with the setuo.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnerblue View Post
    Magnification won't make up for poor technique. Like I said, I think 1.5 MOA at 100 yards is what I'd expect and I would be comfortable hunting hogs and deer out to 200 yards with the setuo.

Where are you getting this idea that he's shooting 1.5 MOA?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by NWcityguy2 View Post
    Where are you getting this idea that he's shooting 1.5 MOA?
    I think he is saying what HE would expect as acceptable.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast