Thread: New Vortex Razor Gen III 6-36x56mm

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)

New Vortex Razor Gen III 6-36x56mm

Vortex released their Gen III Razor in a 6-36x56mm setup for a measly $4k msrp. I’m sure street price will be closer to $3k but I feel the competition at that price point is pretty stiff, and vortex doesn’t offer the tremor3 reticle either. I’m curious how this will compete with let say the NF ATACR 7-35 which is lighter and does offer better reticle options?

https://vortexoptics.com/razor-hd-gen-iii-6-36x56.html
    I paint spaceship parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Stippled Glocks are like used underwear; previous owner makes all the difference in value.

Feedback Score
    Looks interesting, and i would love to spend some time behind one, but it seems to me like Vortex is trying to compete with the NF ATACR 7-35, and that scope is very hard to beat. I've been shooting long range for the past decade+, including a lot of PRS competition, and have spent time behind a lot of high end scopes, and I personally think the ATACR 7-35 is one of the best long range scopes money can buy.

The Vortex Razor line are great quality scopes, and I really like my Gen II Razor 4-27, but i would have a hard time justifying buying one of these over the ATACR 7-35, especially if they are going to be priced the same. If Vortex offers this scope for $500 less than the NF 7-35, they may have a winner.

Feedback Score
    Being 'near' Vortex HQ I keep hearing about that they are pressing hard to get Defense contracts as well as go after the Primary Arms market, and a 6-36 seems to help point that direction. Honestly, I'm all for more competition in the market, it will only lead to lowering prices and raising quality, so good for them.
    Dr. Carter G. Woodson, “History shows that it does not matter who is in power or what revolutionary forces take over the government, those who have not learned to do for themselves and have to depend solely on others never obtain any more rights or privileges in the end than they had in the beginning.”

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    EuroOptic is offering these for $2999 on pre-order, so I assume that's MAP and real world selling price. That's pretty rarefied territory, not only with the ATACR but with lots of German/Austrian glass in competition, as well as virtually everything else besides Tangent Theta. Although the Razor series has been excellent, at this price point some people may care about brand or country of origin beyond just the tangible quality and performance.

I notice that these are 45oz, which is down slightly from the gen2 4.5-27x56 and a small step in the right direction.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Is it another Razor boat anchor at 40+ oz????

If so I’m not interested unless sexual favors are part of the deal.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RHINOWSO View Post
    Is it another Razor boat anchor at 40+ oz????
    Yes, yes it is. But for a 6-36x56 it's not quite as offensive as the gen2 weights (the 3-18x50 was 46.5oz!). The competing ATACR is 6 oz lighter, but 1" longer.

https://www.nightforceusa.com/Nightf...il-R-C570.aspx

Vortex has a well earned reputation for great scopes in the Razor series, but they have now wandered into the price class of German precision scopes and the highest price US military contract scopes. Even if they can compete on performance, I think they're outside of their element. The prior Razor generations offered near-alpha performance at upper midrange prices. They are now solidly into alpha-range prices. If Hyundai made a car that was 99% as good as a Maybach, but at 95% the price, would it sell?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SomeOtherGuy View Post
    Yes, yes it is. But for a 6-36x56 it's not quite as offensive as the gen2 weights (the 3-18x50 was 46.5oz!). The competing ATACR is 6 oz lighter, but 1" longer.

https://www.nightforceusa.com/Nightf...il-R-C570.aspx

Vortex has a well earned reputation for great scopes in the Razor series, but they have now wandered into the price class of German precision scopes and the highest price US military contract scopes. Even if they can compete on performance, I think they're outside of their element. The prior Razor generations offered near-alpha performance at upper midrange prices. They are now solidly into alpha-range prices. If Hyundai made a car that was 99% as good as a Maybach, but at 95% the price, would it sell?
    Exactly. I think they may be pricing themselves out of the market with this one, considering the plethora of vetted alternatives in that price range.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Same price as NF ATACR and heavier.

Yeah, F-that.

And considering I have had to return every Vortex optic I've owned, 100% pass.