Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Will the Army CFT be Adopted?

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ffhounddog View Post
    All I know is I passed the new ACFT and I actually ran a faster two mile time than I did before. Scored a 488 due to only wanting to do the min on leg tucks because the 5 event exercise made me winded maxed that. I am 43 years old started in (BDUs and DCUs)and beat out young kids that look better than me in uniform I guess because I still have some love handles and my back hurts from combat. Battalion Commander female failed the ACFT two mile run and Kettle ball throw and she is Active Duty I am National Guard. She is also a young LTC below the zone promoted twice. I am a passed over 3 times Major waiting on my 20 years to retire. One more to go. 7 deployments I am good. If we deployed due to combat skills I would not allow her on the front line.
    I’m right there with you. I’m a 42, 17 years into active duty SNCO. I could’ve done more on the deadlift but didn’t for similar reasons as you. Overall still, I scored a 512 on it but that was not a good run for me at all, I’m usually “one of those gazelles” on the 2 miler with usual 13:00 and below, even at 42. I scored pretty high on everything else but the run.

There were 4 females and 3 males(total), taking it and I believe all the females and 1 male did the plank.
    Last edited by ap1220; 01-09-22 at 17:43.
    "Warriors"

Out of every 100 men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets. Nine are the real fighters and we are lucky to have them for they make the battle. Ah, but the one...one is a Warrior, and he will bring all the others back.

-Heraclitis

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckman View Post
    The regular old PFT/PRT/APFT/whatever you want to call it measures pretty much nothing except how fast you can run and how many X you can do in a given timeframe. Guys scoring 300 but dumber than a box of rocks would get promoted based on this.
    False. The Army PFT was relatively few points in the promotion system, and you need a recommendation to promote from a board regardless of points.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tanksoldier View Post
    False. The Army PFT was relatively few points in the promotion system, and you need a recommendation to promote from a board regardless of points.
    My example was Marines and Navy, where it is considered for promotion.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    No, he's spot on, at least for Infantry and some other combat arms. Guys who couldn't figure out which number on their credit card was the card's number but who could get good PT test scores got promoted. It's not just the quantitative value of the PT score, but also how highly the Army culture values it. High scores on PT tests are frequently required to even be sent to the board.
    Last edited by Alpha-17; 01-10-22 at 07:48. Reason: clarifying and offering examples
    It's f*****g great, putting holes in people, all the time, and it just puts 'em down mate, they drop like sacks of s**t when they go down with this.
    --British veteran of the Ukraine War, discussing the FN SCAR H.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha-17 View Post
    No, he's spot on, at least for Infantry and some other combat arms. Guys who couldn't figure out which number on their credit card was the card's number but who could get good PT test scores got promoted. It's not just the quantitative value of the PT score, but also how highly the Army culture values it. High scores on PT tests are frequently required to even be sent to the board.
    Absolutely, spot on. Every board appearance I went to as a young soldier included some level of interrogation about PT.
    CSM: “What’s your PT score, SPC/SGT”?(knowingly has my pt card in front of him with my packet.
    Me: “297 CSM!”
    CSM looking at me straight faced and full of disappointment: “What are you weak in, SPC/SGT”?

I saw more high PT scores get promoted and or not get chartered because even though they were a terrible soldier or person(and sometimes both), they got a pass or extra chances.
    Personal fitness is a good indicator of discipline and commitment, but it isn’t the end-all-be all.
    "Warriors"

Out of every 100 men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets. Nine are the real fighters and we are lucky to have them for they make the battle. Ah, but the one...one is a Warrior, and he will bring all the others back.

-Heraclitis

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ap1220 View Post
    Absolutely, spot on. Every board appearance I went to as a young soldier included some level of interrogation about PT.
    CSM: “What’s your PT score, SPC/SGT”?(knowingly has my pt card in front of him with my packet.
    Me: “297 CSM!”
    CSM looking at me straight faced and full of disappointment: “What are you weak in, SPC/SGT”?

I saw more high PT scores get promoted and or not get chartered because even though they were a terrible soldier or person(and sometimes both), they got a pass or extra chances.
    Personal fitness is a good indicator of discipline and commitment, but it isn’t the end-all-be all.
    …and you still have to have enough points from other sources.

A good PT score, by itself, will not get you promoted…. which was the original allegation.

Your PT score is like anything else, if you put the work in it will go up. Not everybody will score 300 every time but getting a reasonable score isn’t that hard.
    Last edited by tanksoldier; 01-15-22 at 17:18.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)

A good PT score, by itself, will not get you promoted…. which was the original allegation.

Your PT score is like anything else, if you put the work in it will go up. Not everybody will score 300 every time but getting a reasonable score isn’t that hard.
    Absolutely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)

The "allegation" to which you allege (see what I did there?) was based in my experiences with the Navy and Marine Corps. How it is leveraged in other branches I have no idea. I know both Marines and Sailors who were promoted not because of leadership or technical/tactical proficiency but because they scored 300, most of whom have water temperature IQs and poor leadership skills.

In both branches the PT scores are a composite of the equation for promotability, but often 'over weighed' (wink wink, nudge nudge).

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    We are in agreeance. I was just emphasizing how high PT scores were given more importance than other areas of Soldiering.
    "Warriors"

-Heraclitis

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123