Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Will the Army CFT be Adopted?

Feedback Score
    They do give tips on how to train for it, and to be honest I think the one event that might be difficult to test yourself on is the sprint drag carry,

https://www.army.mil/acft/

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredericianer View Post
    They do give tips on how to train for it, and to be honest I think the one event that might be difficult to test yourself on is the sprint drag carry,

https://www.army.mil/acft/
    Forgot about that and you're right, aside from the s-d-c, every event has two bodyweight exercises that are recommended ways to train.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    The regular old PFT/PRT/APFT/whatever you want to call it measures pretty much nothing except how fast you can run and how many X you can do in a given timeframe. Guys scoring 300 but dumber than a box of rocks would get promoted based on this.

The Army AFCT is loaded with good intentions; as a leader once told me about a decision I made, "good initiative but poor judgment." There absolutely needs to be a test based on functional fitness, but it seems as an outsider looking in that the army's version is loaded with problems. The Marines had a few teething problems with their CFT but it's out and seems to be working OK, so we know it can be done. And it's not like the Marines have cornered the market as there are a metric crap-ton of functional fitness tests out there.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Everyone was supposed to have a completed ACFT on record by 1 OCT 21 but it didn't count(or at least no negative consequences due to poor performance), until this new FY for implementation. There have already been issues with it, including Congress saying that it isn't "gender neutral" enough because most females were not scoring anywhere near on par with the males, since there is only the single scoring system. As far as access, the plan is to have one at each battalion level and that it is already "funded".

However,

The plank has been included now as an alternative to doing the leg tuck because so many people performed so poorly at it. You do not need a profile to do it either, you can choose to do it over the leg tuck which is the official exercise. There is already talk that there will likely be a return of the gender based scoring system. One of the major reasons the new PT test from a decade ago wasn't implemented was because of all the equipment required to perform all the tasks.

I see them trying to make it work because of money already spent, and it really does change the focus of Soldiers working out, but I can also see them giving up and going back to the APFT.

I trained specifically for the events in it and I've done the one that needed to be on record. Its definitely a smoker. The SDC will have you nearly tripping over your feet(I almost couldn't even pick my foot up on the return with the kettlebells), and that is probably the hardest 2 mile run I've ever ran, I was drained at the end.
    Last edited by ap1220; 01-07-22 at 16:57.
    "Warriors"

Out of every 100 men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets. Nine are the real fighters and we are lucky to have them for they make the battle. Ah, but the one...one is a Warrior, and he will bring all the others back.

-Heraclitis

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    I’m not in love with all aspects of this idea, but maybe we keep the APFT as-is and official test of record but include the ACFT as one of those 350-1 events like the 12 mile ruck or maybe even the unofficial standard of 4 mi/32 mins. If we groom culture correctly, it can be used enough to where its accepted as a way to show performance in things like O/NCOERs, job resumes and interviews, etc but not the test of record so the logistics, implementation measures at large schools, and other things don’t become as important.

That way soldiers still have the benefit of training for the test as I do think it’s solid from the true physical readiness aspect but the APFT is there for simplicity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    All I know is I passed the new ACFT and I actually ran a faster two mile time than I did before. Scored a 488 due to only wanting to do the min on leg tucks because the 5 event exercise made me winded maxed that. I am 43 years old started in (BDUs and DCUs)and beat out young kids that look better than me in uniform I guess because I still have some love handles and my back hurts from combat. Battalion Commander female failed the ACFT two mile run and Kettle ball throw and she is Active Duty I am National Guard. She is also a young LTC below the zone promoted twice. I am a passed over 3 times Major waiting on my 20 years to retire. One more to go. 7 deployments I am good. If we deployed due to combat skills I would not allow her on the front line.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ffhounddog View Post
    All I know is I passed the new ACFT and I actually ran a faster two mile time than I did before. Scored a 488 due to only wanting to do the min on leg tucks because the 5 event exercise made me winded maxed that. I am 43 years old started in (BDUs and DCUs)and beat out young kids that look better than me in uniform I guess because I still have some love handles and my back hurts from combat. Battalion Commander female failed the ACFT two mile run and Kettle ball throw and she is Active Duty I am National Guard. She is also a young LTC below the zone promoted twice. I am a passed over 3 times Major waiting on my 20 years to retire. One more to go. 7 deployments I am good. If we deployed due to combat skills I would not allow her on the front line.
    Sounds like you have done a good job of maintaining essential fitness capabilities.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Here's a link to the Marine Corps Combat Fitness Test with a video: https://www.military.com/military-fi...t-fitness-test

Equipment needed: 30-pound .50-cal ammo cans, baseballs (stand-in grenades), stop watches, pencils, and paper. Enhancing equipment: cones and engineer tape. Executable anywhere -- ship, shore, by EVERYONE: recruits, cadets, HQMC and the Fleet Marine Force, MTOE or TDA - I&I staff.

Feedback Score
    K - for those saying it hasn't been adopted yet, I guess we're doing it all wrong at Fort Sam. They've done a couple already. There ARE issues about which is for record; different alternatives, etc., but it HAS been adopted. BTW, the Army Times is a propaganda rag - don't believe a word in it.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JimP View Post
    K - for those saying it hasn't been adopted yet, I guess we're doing it all wrong at Fort Sam. They've done a couple already. There ARE issues about which is for record; different alternatives, etc., but it HAS been adopted. BTW, the Army Times is a propaganda rag - don't believe a word in it.
    The issue remains, for a PT test, it sure has been made to be complicated to administer, and apparently perform. If it wasn't having issues it wouldn't be getting air time.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast