Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Home telephone land lines still?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Home telephone land lines still?

What are your thoughts on keeping a telephone land line intact at your home?

I've always kept mine, but the line just went dead. So I either pay to repair it, or just go all wireless. I've always felt that a land line had some back up communication value.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    I've never had a land line since I moved out of my parent's house and haven't needed one, but I could certainly see the benefit as a backup communication option.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HCrum87hc View Post
    I've never had a land line since I moved out of my parent's house and haven't needed one, but I could certainly see the benefit as a backup communication option.
    Same. My brother in law called 911 on a rotary dial when his/ my wifes grandfather had a stroke and fell because the cell service was down after a horrible windstorm last month. I thought about my own home and how crappy cell service I get when I'm in my basement
    Dr. Carter G. Woodson, “History shows that it does not matter who is in power or what revolutionary forces take over the government, those who have not learned to do for themselves and have to depend solely on others never obtain any more rights or privileges in the end than they had in the beginning.”

Feedback Score
    We have to have one for our home security, but that was 15 years ago. Considering how crappy Comcast cable is, I wouldn’t depend on them to order a pizza.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    A service call starts at $95. If for some reason "their" line is the issue, it would be no charge. I can't decide. I've been paying $47 per month for a line I almost never use, but on the other hand, I don't want to regret shutting it off.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    We have one only because it's part of the fiber package with AT& T. Otherwise we would go entirely wireless.

If it were me, I would not pay to have it repaired I would just go wireless.

Feedback Score
    I have a VOIP line now, no POTS. Since everything is done by e-mail now, with no longer a need to fax things I'm seriously considering dropping it.

Feedback Score
    I personally use a satellite communicator as a back-up to my cellphone (Garmin inReach). It might have a slower response time than a landline in normal circumstances, but the odds of the cellular connection being down in normal circumstances in my area is pretty small. I also thus have the ability to communicate when out of cellular range in general, e.g., in the backcountry. Granted, I will need to be outside in the yard to get proper satellite reception, but that's likely not going to be an issue except in the most extreme of circumstances.

Note that many smartphones also allow for WiFi calling, so even if the cellular service is down, you can still call emergency services, though you should set that up properly so that it knows your location beforehand, rather than relying on having to tell dispatch explicitly where you are.
    Last edited by Defaultmp3; 01-07-22 at 14:04.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)
    Can't you still call 911 on a "dead" or inactive landline? Thought I heard that somewhere. Could be worth a question to the phone company.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by donlapalma View Post
    Can't you still call 911 on a "dead" or inactive landline? Thought I heard that somewhere. Could be worth a question to the phone company.
    Not on this line. It's DEAD dead. It's possible the dogs dug something up, but I haven't had time to look.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast