Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Had An Unexpected Bump Fire At the Range Today

Feedback Score

Had An Unexpected Bump Fire At the Range Today

As the title implies, while at the range today I had an unexpected bump fire while shooting. I had run through five mags and was towards the end of my sixth when it happened. Gun in question was a Lone Wolf Timberwolf Full Frame compact. All lone wolf internals with exception of polymer 80 trigger. Have an old G17 frame on top and Griffin Armament drop in match barrel with a standard gen 3 guide rod. This was a first and was, admittedly, slightly embarrassing as the RO who I was talking with when I first got there came over and politely implied I should switch over to shooting a different pistol. This "offered advice" was a bit frustrating as I wanted to shoot a few more mags to see if the issue repeated or if it was a freak one and done. I know with Polymer 80 builds there can be issues with the rear metal slide piece the trigger housing sits in, but some dremel work usually fixes that (I've built a couple and experienced this with both). The Timber Wolf Frame isn't set up in the same way, so not sure this is the problem. Ammo was 124 grain Aguila FMJ, never had issues shooting this stuff before. Guess I'm wondering what others have done when and if they've encountered this with an aftermarket Glock frame.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    That’s a lot to digest. I think I would part that thing out on the arfcom EE and buy me a Glock.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 17K View Post
    That’s a lot to digest. I think I would part that thing out on the arfcom EE and buy me a Glock.
    Fair enough. This was never meant to be anything more than what it is, a build to have fun with. My go to HD pistol is a 17 and when I carry it’s either my 19 or 43x.

If i’m the only one who’s ever experienced this, i’ll figure it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    If you want to keep it, put all Glock internals in it.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tgizzard View Post
    Fair enough. This was never meant to be anything more than what it is, a build to have fun with. My go to HD pistol is a 17 and when I carry it’s either my 19 or 43x.

If i’m the only one who’s ever experienced this, i’ll figure it out.

Never understood “it’s only a gun gun” IT’S GOT TO BE SAFE, IT’S GOT TO BE RELIABLE, IT’S GOT TO BE ACCURATE - just like my carry pistol...

Put Glock internals in it.

"One cannot awaken a man who pretends to be asleep..."

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjolnir View Post
    Never understood “it’s only a gun gun” IT’S GOT TO BE SAFE, IT’S GOT TO BE RELIABLE, IT’S GOT TO BE ACCURATE - just like my carry pistol...

Put Glock internals in it.

Point here is me seeking advice to make it safe and reliable. Didn’t say it was “just a gun” I was being clear with the intended use of the gun and pointing out its not meant to fill any SD role. It was intended to be a fun project. I’ve never understood the you can’t step out and try a project just to enjoy it mentality.

I’ll take your advice though and go back to basics with the internals.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ggammell View Post
    If you want to keep it, put all Glock internals in it.
    Noted and will go this route, thank you

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Firing pin safety spring. Check that. I had the same situation with a Glock. It would fire twice when you pull the trigger. I checked everything and finally gave it to a gunsmith. He said the spring had broke and there was a piece inside. I had taken it apart and not noticed it. Causing the said malfunction. Worked perfectly after it was replaced.

I do miss my OCD gunsmith. He closed his shop due to family health issues.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    You have pride in a project you built. Congratulations!

You now know it fires in unintentional full-automatic bump mode. Sure, you didn't intend for it to do that -- but doesn't take away from the fact it is not as intended and designed.

Fix it or acknowledge you own an automatic weapon. Fun project, Happy Day.

It didn't pass live-fire function check.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Sikiguya View Post
    Firing pin safety spring. Check that. I had the same situation with a Glock. It would fire twice when you pull the trigger. I checked everything and finally gave it to a gunsmith. He said the spring had broke and there was a piece inside. I had taken it apart and not noticed it. Causing the said malfunction. Worked perfectly after it was replaced.

I do miss my OCD gunsmith. He closed his shop due to family health issues.

Will do, if that takes care of the issue that would be a lot easier than taking the whole thing apart and then waiting on all new parts to come in.

Quote Originally Posted by sinister View Post
    You have pride in a project you built. Congratulations!

You now know it fires in unintentional full-automatic bump mode. Sure, you didn't intend for it to do that -- but doesn't take away from the fact it is not as intended and designed.

Fix it or acknowledge you own an automatic weapon. Fun project, Happy Day.

It didn't pass live-fire function check.
    No it did not pass at all. Don’t think full auto is gonna pass the good to go test .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast