Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Taking a class with armor?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Taking a class with armor?

I am attending a two day rifle/pistol class in a few months. I own plates and a carrier and wad kinda throwing around the idea of wearing them in the class.

The goal of doing so would be to see if I need to make any adjustments to my setup. I was curious if others do this? And what were the reactions of the trainers?

I'm just a guy who is a firearms enthusiast and don't want to make a false impression that I'm a highly trained forces guy just based off what I wear.

Feedback Score
    There’s nothing wrong with it, especially if your mag pouches are on the carrier.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Feedback Score
    I think it’s a good idea, not just to check how your gear runs, but also to get used to wearing it for a period of time.

Feedback Score
    I say it depends on the class, your skill level, your athleticism, weather, and what you're trying to get out of the class.

What's the curriculum about? Is you being in armor going to slow down the class, whether it be due to fatigue or heat exhaustion? Will it take away from your ability to learn what you want from the class? If this is your first formal class, and you've little formal training, it may take away from your ability to learn about the raw shooting mechanics being taught in the class. Just things to consider; I've always run full kit in the few rifle classes I've taken, and have found a few small details on my kit I wanted to change. That being said, some good 2 gun matches can also show you issues in your kit, as would any structured training day with some more experienced folks.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I would say no, don’t wear it. You’re there to learn and build from there. So what’s going to be most conducive to learning what the instructor is teaching. If you start fighting your gear or getting tired too soon, you’ll lose focus on the instruction.

I’ve been to too many classes and matches and seen guys completely gassed because they’re trying to be at cool guy band camp.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Definitely bring it. If it's an intro type class it might be too much. But running your rig makes sense. Better to have it than regret not bringing it. You can ditch it if it's a burdon.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I've run into this issue in several classes. It'd be nice to wear it because if I'm ever fighting with a rifle, you'd better believe I'm going to try to have armor on, and a class can be as close to a real-world test as you can get without having the targets shoot back. But, it can get in the way, slow you down, and at the very least, make you look like you're trying to be tacti-cool.

My personal solution is to bring your kit, and add to it over the course of the class if you feel confident in your abilities and think you won't be taking away from what you can learn in the class, or bogging the class down. For example, I did a carbine class several years back where I started with just my battle belt and added the plate carrier later in the day when I had gotten comfortable with the carbine/other equipment set up. That way you have a firm baseline so you know if your first like equipment and carbine play well together, before adding other variables to the mix.
    It's f*****g great, putting holes in people, all the time, and it just puts 'em down mate, they drop like sacks of s**t when they go down with this.
    --British veteran of the Ukraine War, discussing the FN SCAR H.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thank you all for the excellent feedback.

To add some depth to the conversation it is the Gamut Resolutions Intro to Tactical Carbine and Pistol class (https://gamutresolutions.com/wp-cont...istol-2019.pdf)

I have taken fairly basic pistol and rifle classes before, but not together. I wanted to continue with a few more basic classes from different instructors before I move into advanced classes.

I have my belt set up how I am happy with it, so the only thing I would be fighting with would be the armor.

My athleticism can for sure use improvement.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    I wouldn't in an Intro class, you are there to learn the fundamentals not wrestle with body armor.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    I wouldn't in an Intro class, you are there to learn the fundamentals not wrestle with body armor.
    This. Learn the base first.
    Practice at home, once you are comfortable, incorporate armor/other gear and build up to test function and long-term fit/function.

Its an unnecessary distraction for learning how to learn fundamentals... and thats not a typo.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast