Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: January 11th Aimpoint announcement

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    FWIW, Modlights are on issued rifles in use overseas. I know of two organizations that issue them, such as my own. You’re right that they’ve only seen limited use in comparison to a couple decades of widespread use of Surefires. I cannot yet say if they would meet whatever criteria exist for wider adoption, but they’ve proven themselves enough that I am personally fond of them.

I’d say Modlight vs Surefire is different than Holosun vs Aimpoint rifle optics. The Modlight offers a real advantage in performance, HS does not.
    Agreed, especially with your last sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by grizzlyblake View Post
    I want to buy one but it looks like only LE can buy them if I’m understanding correctly.

Sucks. I’m not a fan of gun companies doing the “Restricted Law Enforcement/ Military Only” Colt thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsbhike View Post
    Looks that way to me and also not a fan, although less of a pisser than US companies doing it.

They did that with the PRO which(similar to mystery man's theory) I was always reasonably sure was a rebadged Comp 3.
    Where are you guys getting that it's only available to LE? Their ads say it was made to meet the demands of LE use but so far I've seen nothing stating they're only available to LE/MIL.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Five_Point_Five_Six View Post
    Where are you guys getting that it's only available to LE? Their ads say it was made to meet the demands of LE use but so far I've seen nothing stating they're only available to LE/MIL.
    A combination of the overview(which you mentioned), the link for US customers going to a page split up in to "shop now" for le and "notify me" for civilians, I didn't check every item on their site, but the ones I did check do not have that class split, and Aimpoints history with how they handled sales of the PRO.

May be an early thing instead of the path they went with the PRO which really seemed to get derailed by dealers ignoring it than a change of principle at Aimpoint.
    Last edited by jsbhike; 01-16-22 at 15:53.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsbhike View Post
    If not being able to see through the optic is better then why have the front lens at all? If that was even patented on single points that patent has long since expired. And it appears they may offer a clear front lens cover as well

Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    They both have their pros and cons. Black covers are more durable, possibly cheaper for the manufacturer, and are useful training aids when used to force a shooter to open their non-dominant eye.

Clear covers make good sacrificial lenses for when you get a glob of mud or snow on your optic, or are doing force on force training with marking projectiles. But, its not unusual for the clear portion to pop off, so for a LE agency or conventional military, the black cap has some things going for it. Then again, for a grab and go, always on optic, the clear lenses have their own appeal.

It’d be cool if Aimpoint gave us the option, like they probably do with large contracts.
    Basing it off 30mm lens covers that are the same cost whether solid or transparent. Just kind of gnat bite thing in that it would seem most people would prefer clear from the start.

Fairly sure there is an old(Pat Rogers was one commenter) discussion on here about AP lens covers that mentioned a general dislike of the US spec'd rubber(removeable bikini or the slip over the QRP torque knob type) along with mentioned of the Butler Creek see thru not being as good as the AP made ones, but I haven't hit the right combo of search terms.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Per Aimpoint, these are currently available to LE/MIL and will be available to the general public in April.

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SomeOtherGuy View Post
    In the last 15 years the price of a 50" 1080p television has dropped like 75-80% for comparable quality and features. The performance of a $1000 mid-level laptop has gone from OK to extraordinary, even while inflation has cut the real value of that figure by maybe 30%. Japanese-made rifle telescopes have improved by perhaps three orders of magnitude at a given price point. Leupold has emerged from the fog of 1970's rural logging Oregon and started to make some modern scopes. Chinese rifle optics have gone from a total joke to an OK option, and Japanese optics have gone from middle-market to extend to the alpha class and everything below.

And with all that, Aimpoint is cutting roughly one-third off the price of an extremely simple optical device (far, far simpler than any variable telescope) that is no different functionally? One that was absurdly, outrageously overpriced to begin with?

Why can't they find some cost savings with modern manufacturing? Even if it's kept all in Sweden. Swedish warplanes are price competitive on the global market, and hardly anything has higher prices and technical requirements than that. Swedish cars were price competitive (in the luxury class, where they fit) when they were still Swedish, and the remaining Volvo brand (not so Swedish as it once was) remains competitive in its class. Mora knives are among the cheapest knives on the market yet very well made for their price; in particular good quality control, which many cheap knives fail at. A lot of other Swedish technology is fairly priced for its quality and features, even when compared to east Asian manufacturing.

I'm sure the optic is fine and has the usual Aimpoint reliability, but this is like Leupold's pricing for Mark 4 scopes.
    Maybe I see things differently than everyone else. The two main reasons that are given for aimpoints being so expensive is that they are made in Sweden and nothing else really comes close to battery life and quality.

Here’s an idea since America is the largest consumer of Aimpoint’s why don’t they move their manufacturing to America. Invest a little in their largest customer. They could probably sell an American made micro for around $350. And while we are at it move holosun to America, I have heard rumors of this.

I’m not a huge fan of rds to begin with. I understand what they are when they are needed. In my opinion aimpoint’s are overpriced it’s extremely simple technology done extremely well.
    Last edited by Pikey; 01-20-22 at 10:04.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
    In my opinion aimpoint’s are overpriced it’s extremely simple technology done extremely well.
    I think Holosun's are overpriced based on a number of reasons already discussed.

To be honest though, I feel like most things in the gun industry are overpriced, but some are worth it.

I have some experience in manufacturing and have seen cost analysis numbers between a part machined and finished in the US vs China and it's probably a bigger gap than most realize. The fact that some chicom products are 75% the retail cost of ones produced in first world countries where they don't employ slaves is a bit sickening but it's what Americans have come to know and love.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
    Maybe I see things differently than everyone else. The two main reasons that are given for aimpoints being so expensive is that they are made in Sweden and nothing else really comes close to battery life and quality.

Here’s an idea since America is the largest consumer of Aimpoint’s why don’t they move their manufacturing to America. Invest a little in their largest customer. They could probably sell an American made micro for around $350. And while we are at it move holosun to America, I have heard rumors of this.

I’m not a huge fan of rds to begin with. I understand what they are when they are needed. In my opinion aimpoint’s are overpriced it’s extremely simple technology done extremely well.
    For starters, why would Aimpoint kill jobs in their native country, that makes no sense. The sales of Aimpoint products worldwide isn't slowing down anytime soon. No need to move shop to the US, lower their margins just to please some whiney Americans. Your last sentence is exactly why Aimpoint products command the prices they do. SIMPLE is the genesis of perfection. Complicated doesn't mean better.

Quote Originally Posted by Five_Point_Five_Six View Post
    I think Holosun's are overpriced based on a number of reasons already discussed.

To be honest though, I feel like most things in the gun industry are overpriced, but some are worth it.

I have some experience in manufacturing and have seen cost analysis numbers between a part machined and finished in the US vs China and it's probably a bigger gap than most realize. The fact that some chicom products are 75% the retail cost of ones produced in first world countries where they don't employ slaves is a bit sickening but it's what Americans have come to know and love.
    Well said sir!!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mysteryman View Post
    For starters, why would Aimpoint kill jobs in their native country, that makes no sense. The sales of Aimpoint products worldwide isn't slowing down anytime soon. No need to move shop to the US, lower their margins just to please some whiney Americans. Your last sentence is exactly why Aimpoint products command the prices they do. SIMPLE is the genesis of perfection. Complicated doesn't mean better.
    Aimpoint production is at full capacity with numerous contracts spanning across Europe.

It's true that red dot technology is 45 years old but because they invented it, they've also perfected it. Anything Aimpoint does, other companies copy.

Feedback Score
    [QUOTE=Mysteryman;3005903]For starters, why would Aimpoint kill jobs in their native country, that makes no sense. The sales of Aimpoint products worldwide isn't slowing down anytime soon. No need to move shop to the US, lower their margins just to please some whiney Americans. Your last sentence is exactly why Aimpoint products command the prices they do. SIMPLE is the genesis of perfection. Complicated doesn't mean better.

Why did Beratta move manufacturing to Accokeek, MD? Did that cripple the Italian manufacturing? I’m not trying to come across as whiny or trying to knock Aimpoint they’re definitely the gold standard that a lot of people are willing to pay for, nothing wrong with that. IMO I think that they could of lowered their prices a long time ago and still produced a quality product.

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast