Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Trijicon ACOG Quality?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Trijicon ACOG Quality?

I've only used one Trijicon optic currently, the accupower 1-4 and the illumination has gone haywire, it will need to be serviced so I'm not happy about that. How's the quality on the ACOGS with tritium / fiber optic illumination? I assume at some point like 10 years into ownership that maybe the tritium needs to be serviced? Any other known long term issues with ACOGs?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    ACOG quality is unmatched. It’s literally grunt proof. The tritium has about a 10 year life, obviously, but that’s not a flaw in the optic. Trijicon will service it for free if the tritium dies inside the warranty, or about $300 after that. Lots of people will argue about prism scopes vs other designs, but I have never heard anyone say anything negative about the quality of the ACOG. I own one and it’s never lost zero after lots of being bounced around.
    OEF / OIR / OFS

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Delete, double post.
    OEF / OIR / OFS

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    The ACOG is excellent. The tritium will dim somewhere around a decade. Don’t quote me. I don’t remember exactly how long it is useful for, but I wouldn’t let that concern me. The only real concern with ACOGs is that the eye relief on some models, and that they are fixed at relatively low power compared to the latest hotness. They are still high quality combat optics that are viable today.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    52 (100%)
    The TA11 ACOG is probably my favorite general-purpose optic. I have a soft spot for the TA31, but as 1168 noted, the eye relief is the Achilles heel of the 4x ACOGs. The TA11 (3.5x) has a very generous eye relief and a wide FOV, at the expense of a larger footprint compared to the compact TA31s.

As for the tritium dying; for what it's worth, the fiber optic rod provides the majority of the illumination for an ACOG. The problem with that is when aiming from indoors to outside...the reticle will appear solid black. Also, in lighting conditions that are so dark you would actually need tritium to see the reticle, you're at the point where you'll be using a light or NODs. The ACOG on one of my rifles has dead tritium and I find it plenty usable.
    Last edited by GTF425; 01-09-22 at 20:56.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Tritium's half life is a little over 12 years,so after time period the tritium will only be half as bright. As mentioned, the fiber optic provides most of the daytime illumination, though.

Some don't like the fact that ACOG's don't have an adjustable diopter, but that may not bother you. Personally, I'm partial to the TA33 and TA11 for eye relief and field of view.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Thanks for all the insight - I've read that the eye relief is pretty bad on the 4x, that might be something I'll have to get used to.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sports-Ball View Post
    Thanks for all the insight - I've read that the eye relief is pretty bad on the 4x, that might be something I'll have to get used to.
    If you shoot nose to charging handle it’s not much of an issue in normal positions. Where the ACOG isn’t great is unconventional positions. The “cool guy” solution is to run a piggybacked RMR or a 45 degree offset dot.
    OEF / OIR / OFS

Feedback Score
    Some of my original ones from 07-08'ish are still illuminating just fine.

The "tritium burns out in 5-10 years" thing is a bit overrated. I still have some Meprolight AK sights from the mid 90's that still have some glow.

You may find the 3X30 easier to use than the 4X for overall general use, at least I did. Can still get 621 yards hits with it, but it's usable under 50 yards also.
    Site Advertiser

www.jrhenterprises.com
    Ask about M4carbine.net discounts
    30 years in business- Since 1992
    robert@jrhenterprises.com

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I've had a TA-11E-G on my SCAR for nearly a decade now, no issues at all. It's held up fine to range and hunting use, and I've never had an issue with it in odd firing positions at classes. Not quite as bright as it used to be inside, but that's about it.
    It's f*****g great, putting holes in people, all the time, and it just puts 'em down mate, they drop like sacks of s**t when they go down with this.
    --British veteran of the Ukraine War, discussing the FN SCAR H.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast