Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Trijicon ACOG Quality?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    The tritium thing came up in another thread. Some guy was unhappy with the tritium fading and regrets buying them.

My point was that any illuminated reticle is somewhat useless for civilian use except for short time frames near sun up or sun down where you can BOTH I.D. a target, and need a little help seeing the reticle.

If it gets dark, and you can't ID your target, who cares if you can't see the reticle? You shouldn't be taking that shot. And when it's light out, you don't need the tritium.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    If the tritium dies, you still have a usable reticle for daytime use. Maybe better because mine that are close to 10 years old, have over bright reticles that blur the reticle for precision shots.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    52 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    If the tritium dies, you still have a usable reticle for daytime use. Maybe better because mine that are close to 10 years old, have over bright reticles that blur the reticle for precision shots.

PB
    I have to cover probably 90% of the fiber optic with 100mph tape to prevent this exact thing.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GTF425 View Post
    I have to cover probably 90% of the fiber optic with 100mph tape to prevent this exact thing.
    Yea, its gricken bright. The only saving grace is when you get out to 400/500, you are out of the red tritium and just black reticle.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GTF425 View Post
    On our brightest summer days, I can remember draping a glove or shirt over top to dampen the light.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    I too was wondering if they were all that great. Then I got a ta33 with green horseshoe. Love it! The glass is so clear that I find it more useable than some 1-6 lpvo I have used. Paired it up with a micro red dot on a gg&g offset and it does everything I want. Good from point blank to 300.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I'm chompin' at the bit to scoop up an ACOG right now. I just need to pay down a few bills. If I buy it now, karma will spring a major repair the minute I get ship notification.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The ACOG is the definition of what functionality first brings to the table in an optics platform. I don't think they ever die.

Feedback Score
    Everything old is new again.
    Had an ACOG on an M4 issued to me back in ‘04 when I got my hard stripes. It was a good time to be a single 21 year old kid playing in the sandbox with Uncle Sams toys.
    Now, we have micro dots and LPVO’s on everything, but passive night vision (because everyone has night vision now) has made the old ACOG/RMR setup relevant again.
    Fast, light, covered from 1x to 4x with a dot high enough to use with nods.
    Almost 20 years later and here I am falling back in love with the old girl.
    Honestly I’m having a hard time not selling all my other optics and ACOG-ing everything. It’s one hell of an optic.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Grendelshooter View Post
    Honestly I’m having a hard time not selling all my other optics and ACOG-ing everything. It’s one hell of an optic.
    This right there. 100% agree.

The trend towards LPVOs has been a bit nauseating and it just seems like it isn't going to end, but then I see people coming back around and ditching the their LPVOs and going back to ACOGs and it gives me hope for the future.

I never jumped on the LPVO bandwagon, the whole thing is just the rebranding of antiquated hunting scopes with cool new acronyms. Other than battery powered illuminated reticles they are basically just your grandpa's deer rifle optic. It's a fad that is just well overdone by now. Kinda like the plethora of new FF handguard designs that pointlessly come out every year. I'm still just sticking with full picatinny rails because they're both easier to mount things to and more secure in the end... The system just can't be beat and the difference in weight isn't enough to really matter.
    Last edited by 556Cliff; 02-05-22 at 21:14.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast