Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
I think the personal experience offered by most here has been as a first responder or medical provider, not a “gunfighter”. The experience I relayed was from my time as a stateside Paramedic and SWAT/SRT/TEMS Medic. In my time as a “gunfighter” (cringe; please don’t call me that…. I don’t work for BCM), there is no .380 experience to relay. I wonder why that might be?

As I’ve said before, I carry a 42 sometimes. Shot it under nods a couple nights ago, side by side with a J frame, even. Enjoy your 42, but be aware that you are carrying it because it is light, small, soft-recoiling, low-report and convenient, not because subsonic 80 and 90 gr bullets are optimal for incapacitating 2m tall bipeds.
We need a like button on this forum.

I too am giving my experience with 380 as a street cop in a major metro city over the last nearly 15 years. My experience with the 380 has been poor. Expanded hollow points offer very poor penetration and FMJ or non expanded hollow points will offer decent penetration as long as you dont hit large bones or have to shoot through a barrier first.

Recently had a road rage shooting with a 380. FMJ bullet went through the side window of the car and hit the victim in the head. Bullet lodged in the skull. Paramedics initially thought it was just a cut on his head from the car crash afterwards.

A buddy who became a DV detective was working a shooting where a guy tried to shoot his girlfriend as she was pulling out of the driveway. 380 FMJ rounds shot throught he back windshield failed to penetrate the head rests of the front and rear seats.

My personal deep concealment and pocket carry gun is a J frame 38 Special. It has similar or slightly less muzzle velocity of a 380 but does so with a significantly heavier bullet. In my experience with snubby 38 shootings is that expansion of hollow points doesnt happen or is limited much of the time. However you will still get good penetration and the ability to break or go through large bones. It behaves very similar to the other duty rounds.