Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: .380 ACP isn’t so bad after all

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by robbins290 View Post
    If one person where to run with 380, which would be the best candidate? My FIL will be running a Shield EZ in 380 in a few weeks. I am going to get him some defense ammo. I have no idea which ones to get.
    XTP might be “best”. In various internet-based tests, it tends to expand slightly, but still penetrate adequately. It tends to shoot straight, also. Precision One XTP did well in what appeared to be a well-done youtube 10% gel test. Second choice would be a Lehigh copper solid, third choice would be any FMJ.

I think I’ve only shot my Smith EZ with FMJ, so you’ll have to check reliability with other rounds.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    XTP might be “best”. In various internet-based tests, it tends to expand slightly, but still penetrate adequately. It tends to shoot straight, also. Precision One XTP did well in what appeared to be a well-done youtube 10% gel test. Second choice would be a Lehigh copper solid, third choice would be any FMJ.

I think I’ve only shot my Smith EZ with FMJ, so you’ll have to check reliability with other rounds.
    I plan on testing it with 200 FMJ and 2 boxes of carry ammo for him to check reliability.

Feedback Score
    Either the Lehigh Defence or the Underwood 380 Extreme Penetrator would be best.
    I agree. Although the XTP would be a good round as well.
    My wifes' 380 EZ is loaded with the Lehigh Defense 90g Extreme Penetrator but I also have some mags loaded with the XTPs'. Both cycle without issue & I think you'd be well served with either one, or both.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the update!

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    Interesting thread for sure

I have zero experience with 380. Never fired one, and have only handled them in their Bryco, Jennings, Raven, Hi Point iterations. I have thought long and hard about buying a SW EZ for my wife, who while shoots very accurately, struggles greatly with follow up shots at any sort of speed with 9mm and larger.

For most people, I think 9mm and 38 is absolutely the answer. But guns are a funny thing, what works for one doesn't always work for others, despite knowing that the ballistics and penetration of 380 is inferior to 9mm. I'd rather my wife have a gun that she can use and carry, even if subpar, than a gun she can't shoot or carry simply because the ballistics were better.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LowSpeed_HighDrag View Post
    Interesting thread for sure

I have zero experience with 380. Never fired one, and have only handled them in their Bryco, Jennings, Raven, Hi Point iterations. I have thought long and hard about buying a SW EZ for my wife, who while shoots very accurately, struggles greatly with follow up shots at any sort of speed with 9mm and larger.

For most people, I think 9mm and 38 is absolutely the answer. But guns are a funny thing, what works for one doesn't always work for others, despite knowing that the ballistics and penetration of 380 is inferior to 9mm. I'd rather my wife have a gun that she can use and carry, even if subpar, than a gun she can't shoot or carry simply because the ballistics were better.
    Exactly why he is going with the shield EZ. The ppq 45 is too much for him.

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by robbins290 View Post
    Exactly why he is going with the shield EZ. The ppq 45 is too much for him.
    I could see why it would be beneficial for him in that instance for sure.

As far as my wife is concerned, if she were to take training seriously and attend multiple courses, train at the range, dryfire, etc, then 9mm would be no issue. But the fact of the matter is that, like the majority of shooters, she wont. So, maybe 380 is the compromise.

Feedback Score
    When it comes to .380 jhp's, when the best ones only expand to .40-.45 and penetrate only about 12 inches of proper ordinance gel at best it makes me choose fmj.

I'm concerned about reliable feeding with the solid copper rounds and flat nosed bullets like Buffalo Bore.

Even though I've only had a Beretta Cheetah choke about 3 times. Once firing .32 acp and I may have contacted the slide with my thumb. The other 2 times was while firing Underwoods very hot .380 XTP. Failures to feed that may have been related to the hot ammo in the blow-back pistol.

How hot? I'll have to check my notes for the actual numbers but I ran a few across the chrono at about 1150 fps! Recoil from the blow-back, alloy-framed pistol felt like 9mm +p.

And like other hot Underwood ammo I've fired, no bulged cases or other signs of being over pressure.

So, I carry a Buffalo Bore LFN in the chamber and the rest Fiocchi fmj. Both loads chrono about 975 fps.

Wife loves the Cheetahs in .32 and that's really the only auto pistol she enjoys firing.

She carries an LCR .327 with .32 magnum ammo. Basically 6 shots of .380-level performance. She is very good with it. With .32 S&W Long and .32 mag ammo she'll fire 120-150 rds a session. She finds it fun to shoot and doesn't even notice how attractive she is with her fingers covered in lead.

Although I'm going to recommend she start wearing nitrile gloves. Because lead.
    Last edited by Ron3; 01-26-22 at 14:48.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnerblue View Post
    Does this include the ammo developed specifically for snubbies such as the 135 gr. short-barrel Gold Dot?
    I had an opportunity to test some ammunition with a representative from a major manufacturer. We fired 2 rounds of 135g GDHP into calibrated ballistic gelatin with my Model 60 S&W and both expanded beautifully. Both projectiles traveled over 12" with one traveling over 14" before stopping in the gelatin.

We shot 2 rounds of Winchester 158g + P LHP and neither expanded. Both penetrated over 15". This is the old FBI load and in all fairness to Winchester, the cartridge was not designed for a 1-7/8" barrel.

I wish I could find more Glaser Safety Slugs. They wreak havoc on ballistic gelatin.

I currently carry the 135g +P GDHP in a BG38.
    Last edited by T2C; 01-26-22 at 17:30.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post

I wish I could find more Glaser Safety Slugs. They wreak havoc on ballistic gelatin.
    They did a great job on people also.
    I retired this week, the one 9mm Glaser that had been in the barrel of my Glock 26 for way too long.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast