Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: .380 ACP isn’t so bad after all

Feedback Score

.380 ACP isn’t so bad after all

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Well there you go, 380acp is more deadly than 9mm or 44 magnum because this cute little graph says so.

Feedback Score
    I personally know someone that took one to the stomach it was a hollow that didnt open up. Well he didnt die but he was down for the count. I trust 380 for self defense also, but just cant decide what gun most days thats the problem.

Alittle quip i like to say too is 380 is the most deadly caliber. It started a world war!
    The sword sang on the barren heath,
    The sickle in the fruitful field:
    The sword he sang a song of death,
    But could not make the sickle yield.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    One shot stops sounds like Sanow and Marshall from back in the day.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm initially skeptical of some of this. I've killed a fair amount of animals with some of these calibers, and while deer and pigs are certainly not built like humans, I have a hard time believing any data set that shows a .22 to be more lethal than a .44 Magnum. Of course, there's all kinds of variables that could make data present that way.
    OEF / OIR / OFS

Feedback Score
    Its a good study if you read the whole thing.

Mr. Ellefritz is aware of all of it's shortcomings including small sample sizes. Shootings can be a bit like car crashes. Each one is unique but some patterns can be found sometimes. But there isn't really an "average" car crash or "average" shooting. Way too many variables.

My takeaway is similar to Mr. Ellefritz's. Most of the time any gun can do if your mindset and skill level are good. About 85% of the time the cartridge was "enough" in this study as long as it wasn't a .22 or .25, which dropped down to about 65%.

IIRC the .32 catagory included .32 acp and .32 S&W Long. .32 acp can vary from 750 fps from Blazer from a P32 to 1000 fps from S&B a nearly 4 inch barrel like a Colt or Beretta Cheetah. At the threshold of "enough" penetration that's going to make a difference. The sample size of .32 was really small, too, adding to it's odd results. He writes about this in the study.

He did not include the types of bullets used, either. He was going for more of a "macro" look at what was happening.
    Last edited by Ron3; 01-10-22 at 22:11.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Whatever you're packing, you need to be able to hit the target. That is rule number the first one.

I purchased my first ever .380 on Sunday. It really doesn't bother me much that it is only .380. There are very rare times when I can only carry my tiny Keltec P32 and I am fine with that as well.

Having anything is better than being a victim.
    Last edited by HKGuns; 01-11-22 at 07:17.

Feedback Score
    I went to every civilian shooting of a terrorist for 18 months.

I saw many failures in .380 or 9mm short as it is know outside the USA. It was such a failure I had a brother in law turn his 380 in for a real 9mm

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by yoni View Post
    I went to every civilian shooting of a terrorist for 18 months.

I saw many failures in .380 or 9mm short as it is know outside the USA. It was such a failure I had a brother in law turn his 380 in for a real 9mm
    How many shootings and what was the failure rate? Also, how does that compare to the failure rate of a 9mm?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by KUSA View Post
    How many shootings and what was the failure rate? Also, how does that compare to the failure rate of a 9mm?
    I don't have the document any more, it was during the intifada so the number of shootings was fairly high like an average of maybe 4 a week something like that.

The .380 was dramatically worse than 9mm. Remember we are talking Israel, so the calibers that people had in order from highest to lowest 9mm, 380, 32 auto. None of the other calibers had enough people using them to really matter.

I will never forget the ultra orthodox guy that had move from NYC, that stopped a terrorist take over of a bus with a Star PD and 6 rounds of .45acp. He shot 1 terrorist and the others fled. They later car jacked a poor woman that was later murdered by the @$$holes, when they cam on a road block we had set up. But no terrorist survived the day.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast