Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Leupold Patrol 6HD 1-6

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    I'm a bit frustrated with how Leupold stratifies and markets their products.

Maybe I'm just stupid, but I find their product line-up incredibly unclear and down right confusing. I love their glass and scopes, but over the past several years have confused their product line-up in my opinion.
    You're hardly alone in this opinion. I have looked at them for a 3-15 I could use on my Savage 10 bolt gun for hunting out west and quickly became infuriated with their website and product names, reticle options, and descriptions
    Dr. Carter G. Woodson, “History shows that it does not matter who is in power or what revolutionary forces take over the government, those who have not learned to do for themselves and have to depend solely on others never obtain any more rights or privileges in the end than they had in the beginning.”

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    https://www.americanrifleman.org/con...-6x24-mm-lvpo/

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    So they took the VX-6HD and moved it to a "patrol" category by adding a screw-in throw lever rather than the older style that sort of clamped on? Other than the throw lever I guess I'm not seeing anything different. What do we know about the illumination? The VX-6HD is not "daylight bright" although that's not really a huge deal on a SFP scope.

I wish they would have gone with capped turrets and a rheostat brightness adjustment.
    The clamp on throw lever sucks ass; the second time it comes off you replace it with a switchview - hopefully the screw in one works better.

Previously the VX6HD came with their very nice alumina screw in lens covers - this new version looks to have cheaper / more traditional plastics ones.

The turrets are nice (I have one of their last VX6HD CMR2s from Midway when they blew them out for $999) and lockable, the one I have has both exposed windage and elevation but as they are lockable with the button, I'm sorta ok with it.

You don't need a rheostat with this illumination system because you will set it on MAX and then sometimes see it in the shadows or dark places. Not remotely daylight bright and only occasionally 'visible during the day'. Why they can't stick the Firedot illum into the CMR2 for just the center dot, I don't know.

You can also turn off the level system that makes it 'flash' if not level; but it was sorta useful for confirming level of the scope in the mount.

While the VX6HD optics / glass are very nice and you can get 'true 1x' with a good diaopter setting, I have found my example to be a bit finicky when your head position is a bit forward or back from perfect. All of my other experience with optics (NX8s, Razors / PSTs / Trijicons) and if you are a bit forward / aft you may start to pick up more / less scope shadowing, but the central image (what you can see) stays the same. With the VX6HD, you seem to get a bit more / less magnification when looking at things from 3-10 ish yards. Maybe it happens with them all but I notice it more with the Leupold.

Overall I like it and think it goes well on a lightweight AR15; maybe as a 'loaner' you give to someone who doesn't know guns very much. Kind of like a zoomable SFP ACOG.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RHINOWSO View Post
    The clamp on throw lever sucks ass; the second time it comes off you replace it with a switchview - hopefully the screw in one works better.

Previously the VX6HD came with their very nice alumina screw in lens covers - this new version looks to have cheaper / more traditional plastics ones.

The turrets are nice (I have one of their last VX6HD CMR2s from Midway when they blew them out for $999) and lockable, the one I have has both exposed windage and elevation but as they are lockable with the button, I'm sorta ok with it.

You don't need a rheostat with this illumination system because you will set it on MAX and then sometimes see it in the shadows or dark places. Not remotely daylight bright and only occasionally 'visible during the day'. Why they can't stick the Firedot illum into the CMR2 for just the center dot, I don't know.

You can also turn off the level system that makes it 'flash' if not level; but it was sorta useful for confirming level of the scope in the mount.

While the VX6HD optics / glass are very nice and you can get 'true 1x' with a good diaopter setting, I have found my example to be a bit finicky when your head position is a bit forward or back from perfect. All of my other experience with optics (NX8s, Razors / PSTs / Trijicons) and if you are a bit forward / aft you may start to pick up more / less scope shadowing, but the central image (what you can see) stays the same. With the VX6HD, you seem to get a bit more / less magnification when looking at things from 3-10 ish yards. Maybe it happens with them all but I notice it more with the Leupold.

Overall I like it and think it goes well on a lightweight AR15; maybe as a 'loaner' you give to someone who doesn't know guns very much. Kind of like a zoomable SFP ACOG.
    I have one of the VX-6HD scopes with CMR2 reticle that I've had on a patrol carbine for about three years.

I have had no problems with the throw lever coming loose but I did have an instance where the elevation turret fell off. One of the tiny screws backed out enough under recoil to let the cap come off. It didn't impact the scope's overall functionality--and Leupold isn't the only company to use this setup--but I'd prefer the simplicity of screwed on covered turrets. Most users probably aren't going to be dialing up and down anyway. Plus the CMR has some holdover reference so dialing is secondary anyway.

Brightness is not visible in daylight even at the highest setting except in the most unusual conditions. I should have put the caveat in that Leupold needs to increase max brightness AND add a brightness control dial. It probably doesn't need to go up to "11" like the brightness of the 1-10x24 Razor but something that at least partially draws the eye would be helpful.

The factory aluminum lens caps suck. My ocular cover stopped staying closed probably two and a half years ago. More recently, the little magnet that holds the objective cover closed fell out. Now neither cover works for anything other than to be in the way. Shave $40 off the price and let me spend that money on a set of Tenebraex caps or something instead.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    The more I thought about this the more it bothered me. I sent them an email telling them a long time customer no longer understands their scope line-up and whomever was in charge should be fired. I'll post what I get back, if anything.

You can't fix a problem you don't know exists.
    I hope you make headway. Their website has always been a dumpster fire and very difficult to see your reticle options. The other thing about Leupold that is generally a deal breaker for me is their selection of reticles. Total garbage! They have a few optics that you could use for different tasks but the only reticle option is a duplex. Some of their reticles are useful but most are $50 sightmark waste of time.

The optics I do have from them I am very happy with. I have a VX6HD CMR2 that I run on my 12.5 SBR and it has been excellent and very durable. Previously lived on a SCAR 17. I also have a Mark 5HD in 3-18 with a tremor 3 that is just downright awesome and made me rethink Leupold. But again you get back to terrible reticle selection and the fact you have to pay an extra $500 for an illuminated reticle even though most other manufactures just give it to you for free.
    nawai

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Yes, Leupold is still doing things the Leupold way. Funny, I have my VX6HD on a SCAR 17 right now; it's not bad but I think in the end there are other much more viable options these days. Try as I might on the clamp throw lever, I tightened that thing down and it kept popping off under use or just in the case. So far my caps have been fine.

The Mark 5HD 3.8-18x is the only one that really interests me, then I start thinking about being stuck with a 35MM mount when the scope eventually times out / gets sold / whatever. Reason enough for me to keep choosing the NX8 / ATACR for higher end optics.

Would love to see the Mark 5 1-6x they have tried to sell to the Government; I know they won that lawsuit against SIG being able to change reticles for NSW and double the price of the Tango6 contract but no idea if the Gov't will rebid it or just buy something else they already have on contract / access to (like the 1-8 ATACR, etc).

It seems like all the Tactical minded Leupold people go to SIG Optics; however with SIG you get the opposite - changes all the time, no idea what you are actually getting (I guess SIG uses someone who set up Leupolds website, another dumpster fire), and in a year or two the line will be discontinued with no rhyme or reason.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Fvck Leupold and their government only bullshit.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I also got one of the VX6HD CMR2s from Midway when they blew them out for $999 about a year ago. This appears to be the exact same scope. For $1499, I would check out other options.
    Last edited by Sanford02; 03-19-22 at 17:30.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

New Leupold Patrol 6HD 1-6

The more I thought about this the more it bothered me. I sent them an email telling them a long time customer no longer understands their scope line-up and whomever was in charge should be fired. I'll post what I get back, if anything.

You can't fix a problem you don't know exists.
    Since this resurfaced, Leupold never responded to my email.

I will assume they really don’t care about long time customer feedback. Which is fine as there are plenty of other very viable options available.

This happens when you think your crap don’t stink. Until you start losing market share and revenue. Then you’ll see them suddenly start caring what people like me actually think about their products and how they are presented to us.
    Last edited by HKGuns; 03-04-22 at 17:49.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Since this resurfaced, Leupold never responded to my email.

I will assume they really don’t care about long time customer feedback. Which is fine as there are plenty of other very viable options available.

This happens when you think your crap don’t stink. Until you start losing market share and revenue. Then you’ll see them suddenly start caring what people like me actually think about their products and how they are presented to us.
    Sounds like when I complained that Discovery, History, and TLC were no longer playing much educational content, instead mostly airing drama. They didn’t reply, I realized that I’m not the target market, and I haven’t had cable since.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12