Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: “Jungle Gun” Concept

Feedback Score
    53 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SteyrAUG View Post
    What is the best all around carbine for air jumping into arctic conditions.
    My time has come.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    So did I, just thought he hit the "o" instead of the "u".
    My apologies - I'm grew up to referring to mosquitos as 'mozzies' (spent my first 16 years in the UK and living in a couple of former British colonies; both in the equatorial tropics) and didn't think about it. That's how I discovered how much I hated the tropical climate.

Feedback Score
    12 inch ak with an aimpoint comp m4 mounted in forward position.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I'll be a little different here.

I was thinking about the task and was gonna say something like a 10" 300BLK AR slick with a can. And that would be totally cool. But you know what might be cooler? Knocking noggins in the green place with a 10mm. Yea something like an MP5/10 with or without a can would be a good 100yards and in kinda gun. I could carry like 5 stick mags instead of 3 AR mags in my chest rig.

For a "modern" jungle gun I would try and get some kinda tritium and fiber optic front sight post, and maybe mount a micro RDS in a way that doesn't obscure the iron sight.
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SteyrAUG View Post
    Ghost rider we are reading a faulty sarcasm meter, we need you to check your equipment.
    Ok, lemme try tapping the gauge. Yup, its broke.

Quote Originally Posted by GTF425 View Post
    My time has come.
    What’s it like jumping snowshoes?
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    53 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    What’s it like jumping snowshoes?
    We never wore them during the jump; only the Mickey Mouse boots, then put our snowshoes on after landing.

The best are when you jump with skis. Those are always tailgate jumps, so that's a perk.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GTF425 View Post
    We never wore them during the jump; only the Mickey Mouse boots, then put our snowshoes on after landing.

The best are when you jump with skis. Those are always tailgate jumps, so that's a perk.
    Man, I don't even want to think about the injury rate landing in beach ball boots. Let alone skis.

Feedback Score
    53 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by utahjeepr View Post
    Man, I don't even want to think about the injury rate landing in beach ball boots. Let alone skis.
    Surprisingly low. Most winter jumps were into some soft snow, and the skis are rigged as an item of equipment and not physically worn. Because they're so long, we couldn't exit the Paratroop door and had to tailgate when jumping with them.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Five_Point_Five_Six View Post
    Sir, this is the internet, where we discuss fantastical topics and scenarios and the required gear for such like jungle carbines and taking out an opposing force at 600 meters with our LPVO equipped rifles.

But to play devil's advocate here, the woods here in WA can be very jungle-ish with large timber and heavy vegetation. It can be quite unnerving to hear something 30ft away in the brush and not know if it's a deer, a black bear, a cougar, or a hairy Seattle hippie woman shitting behind a tree.
    To be fair, you should smell the hippie long before you hear her.

As for the thought exercise, I'll admit I'm concerned regarding the optics? Are all the miracle products designed to sheet water off glass surfaces and prevent fogging, unable to cope with jungle humidity? I've only ever shot a combat rifle in 100% humidity with irons. When the rain is pissing down your back, it isn't unusual to try and fire one shot to clear the water off the peep, then shoot quickly before the peep gets occluded with water again. Will recoil knock water droplets off an optic the way it does with irons? What about fogging?

If supply lines weren't an issue, I'd go for a lightweight 9" AR in .300blk with a compact can, shooting 110-120gr supers. Make it as slick as possible to prevent snagging. Of course supply lines would never support .300blk effectively, so I'd likely be opting for a short AK in 7.62x39.
    What if this whole crusade's a charade?
    And behind it all there's a price to be paid
    For the blood which we dine
    Justified in the name of the holy and the divine…

Feedback Score
    That’s why i too was saying a 12” ak. Shoot the 196 grain subs with a can if you want quiet or regular stuff for more range. An Aimpoint comp m4 is about as robust as you’re going to get for that setup. Of course you still have your irons. This setup would be great for the shorter ranges we are talking about. As well as shooting a heavier bullet.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast