Thread: Labradar or Magnetospeed?

Feedback Score

Labradar or Magnetospeed?

Curious to hear which is preferred. And where you would get one, direct or favorite retailer? This would be for a range of guns, ARs, traditional and chassis bolt guns, and single shots like TC Contenders.

Option 1. Bare MagnetoSpeed. Sporter or V3? Is the upgraded display worth it? No extra large muzzle devices, but I do run some suppressors. Though they're easily removed.

Option 2. MS + aftermarket mount. I'm liking the Wiser Precision setup, though with the V3 it's roughly the cost of the Labradar. The Sporter save about $200. MK Machining has a Combo with a V3 that comes in about $100 under the Labradar though on "backorder".

Option 3. MS + make my own mount. Thinking Pic mount to AL angle. Easy attachment, stiff extension & mount the sensor with thumbscrews for adjustment. Low cost (most parts on hand) and functional but a bit fugly.

Option 4. Labradar. Most expensive and most versatile. 12+ weeks on shipment.

Again, just seeking input on what you have experience with. It'd be too much to expect to find discounted pricing, but hey...

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    The only thing I don't like about the Magnetospeed is that you can't shoot speed and get true groups because it's attached to your barrel... so you are impacting harmonics. Everything else about it is good.

Only thing I've heard on the Labradar is that it can be hard to set up correctly. Never seen one in person though.
    Last edited by markm; 01-14-22 at 16:48.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    The Labradar reputation for being particular (even Labradar itself warns about that) gives me pause.
    I suppose i am really looking for feedback on the aftermarket mounts for the Magnetospeed that mount to the stock, not the barrel.

Any thoughts comparing the Sporter vs th V3 version?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I’ve had a LabRadar for a few years now and it’s great. Light years better than my old Gamma Master.
    Setup isn’t too bad, especially once you get some time on it.

Switching between firearms is easy & its versatility can’t be matched. Just a few seconds & you can switch between a rifle, pistol, & bow.

Data logging is good & it tracks the bullet speed down range as well, up to 100+ yards, depending on the projectile. They also finally fixed the mobile app so there’s good functionality between your phone/tablet & the LabRadar.

Apparently the global chip shortage is what’s making the LabRadar hard to find right now.

My experience with a Magnetospeed is very limited so I won’t comment on that. I didn’t want anything hanging on my barrel, which is why I went with the LabRadar.
    Quote Originally Posted by JSantoro View Post
    Stop dicking the dog, please. It's gross.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    The only thing I don't like about the Magnetospeed is that you can't shoot speed and get true groups because it's attached to your barrel... so you are impacting harmonics. Everything else about it is good.

Only thing I've heard on the Labradar is that it can be hard to set up correctly. Never seen one in person though.
    Agreed on both units. I've never used a Magnetospeed for the above reasons but have used a Labradar since it came out. The only difficulty is set up is that the unit is very particular as to distance it is placed from the muzzle. This varies with cartridges and especially when shooting suppressed. Once you figure out at which distances to place the unit, it is very quick and easy to set up.

Feedback Score
    I started with an Oehler 33, graduated to a 35P and now run a LabRadar. I've had the opportunity to compare the Magneto Speed and several LabRadar's as well as the Oehler at the same time. For all intents and purposes the velocities recorded were identical. It's about the setup, cost and user friendliness. Each has it's own advantages.

My opinion and FWIW LOL
    Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. Mark Twain
    Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/mark_twain_386139

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Started with the LabRadar and found it to be a huge pain in the ass to set up especially with rimfire and suppressors. Quickly traded for a Magneto and have never looked back!

Feedback Score
    308sako you reminded me I have an Oehler 33 I haven't used this century. Not sure I have all the parts anymore, several moves. I've only been using pistols and factory ammo under 100 yds the last few years.

Seeing love for the Labradar, but the expense for something I'd use only occasionally gives me pause.

I notice no one has mentioned using the off barrel mounts for the Magneto. That would seem to cure the drawback of barrel mounting. I wonder why. My obsessive side likes the repeatability the Magneto brings.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback.