Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Long Term Review: PSA Barreled AR-15 Upper (Part 1)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    Quality thread; thanks. I, too, am curious about the stoppages. Did I miss seeing which ammo they occurred with? If it occasionally doesn’t have enough juice to cycle, but does lock back, are you thinking inconsistent ammo? Do you have a chrono?
    They were my handloads. For clarity's sake, they loaded with 25gr of TAC using a 55gr bullet.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    Please explain how a short stroking AR locks back on an empty mag. If that's not what you're saying, please explain how an AR that isn't short stroking has a failure to feed due to short stroking.

I've encountered this problem more than once. In each case, the problem wasn't resolved until a good extractor spring was installed. I've watched slow motion videos of bolt over base malfunctions because it the extractor lost control of the empty. I've discussed this problem with Will Larson (IraqGunz).

You're free to present evidence to the contrary. In fact, I welcome it.
    Please see Post #12 for my explanation.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I agree with MistWolf on this one. You WILL continue to see issues if you do not change out that extractor spring.

Every single BCG I own including BCM's; I went through and replaced all extractor springs with a spring co 5 coil and black insert. It only costs $4 per gun to do. I never have to worry again if my extractor has enough tension. To me it was a no brainer.

At the very least pull down the extractor and document what they sent you. IIRC my PSA's came with a silver 4 coil spring with insert and donut. Looked fine, but I still pulled them.
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I just want to say that after watching that video, I'm jealous of all the open land to shoot at!!!!!!!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RUTGERS95 View Post
    I just want to say that after watching that video, I'm jealous of all the open land to shoot at!!!!!!!
    Cheers to that. That is one thing about living in the mid-west and east of the US, is you can't often just drive out to no where to shoot.
    Dr. Carter G. Woodson, “History shows that it does not matter who is in power or what revolutionary forces take over the government, those who have not learned to do for themselves and have to depend solely on others never obtain any more rights or privileges in the end than they had in the beginning.”

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by turnburglar View Post
    I agree with MistWolf on this one. You WILL continue to see issues if you do not change out that extractor spring.

Every single BCG I own including BCM's; I went through and replaced all extractor springs with a spring co 5 coil and black insert. It only costs $4 per gun to do. I never have to worry again if my extractor has enough tension. To me it was a no brainer.

At the very least pull down the extractor and document what they sent you. IIRC my PSA's came with a silver 4 coil spring with insert and donut. Looked fine, but I still pulled them.
    So even if I agreed, I think replacing a part so early is outside the spirit of this test.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by NWcityguy2 View Post
    So even if I agreed, I think replacing a part so early is outside the spirit of this test.
    But it's not a barrel, receiver, or even entire BCG. It's a $4 extractor spring. Less than the cost of ONE box of ammo. FWIW I would do this on ANY gun including a noveske or DD.

I also will say that I think AR's 'mate together' they dont really break in. I have noticed that on guns that are brand new builds they are very tight where as once they pass the 1k mark they feel like they fit way better together. This however doesn't account for the malfunctions you have experienced. You can continue to shoot the gun as is, and maybe you won't get any more malfunctions.
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by NWcityguy2 View Post
    agree, continue as is to get proper malfunction counts. I'd be willing to bet that more than half the AR owners don't even know how to change the spring. Not to mention, new ARs shouldn't need that so it's important to the test.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I agree that changing any component, no matter how inexpensive, at this point in the test would be foolish. As I understand it, the purpose of the test is to see how an AR performs.....not to see what it takes to make it reliable.

After the test has concluded, then performing another exercise to see what it takes to turn an unreliable AR (if the failures continue) into a reliable one would be beneficial.
    Last edited by grizzman; 01-20-22 at 19:02.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzman View Post
    I agree that changing any component, no matter how inexpensive, at this point in the test would be foolish. As I understand it, the purpose of the test is to see how an AR performs.....not to see what it takes to make it reliable.

After the test has concluded, then performing another exercise to see what it takes to turn an unreliable AR (if the failures continue) into a reliable one would be beneficial.
    yes sir, totally agree

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast