Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Generators

Feedback Score
    Things I’ve learned about portable gens…
    Purchase the best quality generator you can afford, I chose Honda.
    Purchase only non-ethanol gasoline and treat with fuel stabilizer. Rotate yearly.
    Purchase high quality fuel containers if you are not using a larger tank. I chose European spec NATO 5.28 gallon Jerry cans. Beware of cheap knock-offs. The plastic containers I’ve seen were all junk.
    If you have to use extension cords, make sure they are sized correctly for the load. Mine are 10 and 12 gauge wire cords.
    Last edited by Colt Carson; 02-23-22 at 10:10.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Colt Carson View Post
    Purchase only non-ethanol gasoline and treat with fuel stabilizer. Rotate yearly.
    Purchase high quality fuel containers if you are not using a larger tank. I chose European spec NATO 5 liter Jerry cans. Beware of cheap knock-offs. The plastic containers I’ve seen were all junk.
    If you have to use extension cords, make sure they are sized correctly for the load. Mine are 10 and 12 gauge wire cords.
    All this.

Quote Originally Posted by Entryteam View Post
    Portable means I can fit it in my truck when travelling. I guess I need to figure out HOW much wattage to get. That is the confusing part. I like dual fuel, though...that's a great feature.
    There are online calculators to calculate wattage needs. Pay attention to both surge/startup and running needs. Anticipate that once you have power, you'll want to power more than you think. Advice I got was minimum calculation + 20%.

Think about "portability" carefully. Does portable mean capable of moving, a carted unit + ramps, or something you can easily lift and carry? Those matter.

Also, noise is a bigger factor than you think. It's annoying to have that constant drone in the background, or to have to move away or around a unit to talk or hang out. Also, if you have lights and power when others don't you may get unwanted attention. A typical generator under load can be heard across a subdivision.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    Yes! The first generator I bought 30 years ago was a 5kw with a lawnmower muffler. Luckily I only had to use it once. Then I sold it.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Entryteam View Post
    Portable means I can fit it in my truck when travelling. I guess I need to figure out HOW much wattage to get. That is the confusing part. I like dual fuel, though...that's a great feature.
    For potable I recommend the Champion Power Equipment 200961 2500-Watt Dual - https://amzn.to/33Et0rE

Good review:
    nawai

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Colt Carson View Post
    Purchase high quality fuel containers if you are not using a larger tank. I chose European spec NATO 5 liter Jerry cans. Beware of cheap knock-offs. The plastic containers I’ve seen were all junk.
    Another fuel alternative is to buy Aviation fuel from your local small airports. I used to run this in my Harleys back in the day. It seems to store better than non ethanol for some reason. I used it in my last carbureted honda generator with great results.
    I have been using PRI fuel treatment for some years now and believe it is better than stabil or sea foam.

I chose The Honda 7000 eu is which is fuel injected. Some may argue that non ethanol is not required due to it being fuel injected. I hate the whole ethanol thing.
    I installed a generlink transfer switch on my meter base and can plug my generator into it and just use the breakers that I need , which was a great alternative to wiring in a isolation sub panel.

I rotate my fuel yearly and use it in my cars or Atv’s.
    Last edited by k9barco; 01-20-22 at 16:20. Reason: More info

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by k9barco View Post
    Another fuel alternative is to buy Aviation fuel from your local small airports. I used to run this in my Harleys back in the day. It seems to store better than non ethanol for some reason. I used it in my last carbureted honda generator with great results.
    I have been using PRI fuel treatment for some years now and believe it is better than stabil or sea foam.

I chose The Honda 7000 eu is which is fuel injected. Some may argue that non ethanol is not required due to it being fuel injected. I hate the whole ethanol thing.
    I installed a generlink transfer switch on my meter base and can plug my generator into it and just use the breakers that I need , which was a great alternative to wiring in a isolation sub panel.

I rotate my fuel yearly and use it in my cars or Atv’s.
    Sounds like you chose a fine generator. I used to blend fuels at a refinery, and I know we did put additional fuel stabilizers in the avgas. The avgas is high octane, but probably not the best choice for road engines. If you need high octane in a road engine, I would recommend premium gasoline or a dedicated race gas that might be available at drag strips or race tracks. We added lead to the avgas to obtain the octane/anti-knock properties, and I’m not sure how this might affect catalytic converters or generator exhaust systems. And yes, avoid ethanol in small engines with vented fuel tanks.

Feedback Score
    Mernards at times run a 11% rebate. That would save you some $$$

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by czgunner View Post
    Mine is the Champion 9000. Its model number is 100155.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    I have that exact model too. It runs well and so far has been reliable. I have a male 30A inlet box wired to an approved back feed interlock on my service panel, so I can use it to run the majority of the house if needed. You're right, though...It's LOUD AF...Loud enough to absolutely be a security concern in any kind of emergency situation.

Now that I don't live under an HOA anymore, I might look into an enclosure for it. I'm also considering getting something smaller and quieter that would run just the furnace as needed and use my Goal Zero for everything else. Projects for the future...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If neighbor proximity or passerbys are a factor, don't forget light management. Generators can be muffled, shrouded, or you can get a quieter unit. Others around may associate the sound of a gas engine with some sort of public utility effort. But if you have lights when everyone else doesn't that may be a security or nuisance issue as people get curious or were unprepared for whatever.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    One of the few things that fights the Harbor Freight stigma is their Predator generator line. The 3500 super quiet is phenomenal for the $900 price tag. Inverter style very quiet and still somewhat portable. Often on sale for like $825. There is a TriFuel kit online too if needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast