AAR: CSAT Paul Howe Tactical Pistol Instructor 18 Nov 2008

After Action Report:
    Combat Shooting And Tactics (CSAT)
    Tactical Pistol Instructor (TPI)
    Instructor: Paul Howe
    November 18-23, 2008
    Nacogdoches, Texas

Day Zero:
    On November 17, 2008 my partner at work Deputy S. and I traveled to Houston via Continental Airlines from So. Cal. We picked up a rental car and traveled two hours north-northeast to Paul Howe’s “Empire” or otherwise known as his CSAT training facility in Nacogdoches, Texas.

Once on location Paul himself was kind enough to spend an hour with us showing us around the lodge. The lodge has accommodations to sleep 24 students. Hot water showers, kitchen with refrigerators and sink, dining/recreation room, wet bar, Cross-fit Gym, classroom, multiple bathrooms, and gun shop awaited us inside the lodge. On the same property is a gun cleaning shed.

CSAT TeamRoom Gym

Paul’s personable character was immediately displayed as he ran us through the lodge and gave us a grand welcoming to East Texas. We were given the keys and combinations to the entire Empire and were left to ourselves for the day… talk about trust. He told us where we could shop for supplies and where we could find some good chow. Paul himself lives only 10 miles north of the property and so he knew of all the local places to go. We were even given permission to shoot during day or night so long as we went to the range with a “battle buddy.” Permission granted to hunt on his land was the same.

We spent most of our day driving around town, getting supplies, eating, and then settling in to our new home for the next week. Towards the evening hours our fellow instructors to be started showing up from their day of travel to bunk at the lodge with us. Three Midland PD officers, a Texas A&M Police Sergeant, a retired LEO and 10-8/M4Carbine moderator W. Dobbs, the owner of I-shot, and two German’s citizens were in attendance (names withheld unless username ID'd online).

Day One:
    The first morning started at 0800 in the classroom. This start followed some Cross-fit workouts by a couple of the Midland SWAT boys. We So Cal boys tried our best to keep up but Midland was representing hardcore. Paul’s simplistic gym proved to be more than adequate throughout the week and was a very welcome addition to the training facility. Classroom work was very brief and we were soon headed off to the 25 yard range about 1.7 miles south of the lodge.

Once on the range Paul started indoctrinating us with his 10 core pistol standards, after showing us around the range property. The simplicity of Paul’s standards is what kept going through my mind throughout the course. Paul has broken down the pistol into very basic teaching blocks. With the addition of some modules to come we were soon to learn what we needed to teach a well planned two day pistol course.

Paul taught us each standard one step at a time. Paul takes the time to teach each step of the way in a manner that does not generate many questions from his students. Of note: Paul demos dry and live fires each standard in full tactical gear under timed stress in order to show each student that his standards can be met in any setup. I appreciated his leadership by example style. No question was too dumb in his book and he answered every question completely.

Author shot with Raven Concealment Systems "Phantom" holster which held up great both during the class and after hours.

We worked through each standard during the morning and after lunch. By late afternoon we were ready to take the standards test as a class under timed pressure. To pass his test, as instructors, you must successfully pass eight out of ten standards in one circuit. Most of the shooting is done at 7 yards on his CSAT target with very demanding time parameters. Accuracy is paramount and any missed shot, no matter the time, is a failure of the standard.

Midland PD officer in full gear, his efficiency of movement was amazing.

I believe two of the Midland PD officers passed the standards the first time through… they are exceptional shooters and true professionals. We ended day one on the range with video recording of all shooters shooting three standards (one shot from high ready, one shot from holster, and Paul’s 5/1 drill from the ready) for critique the following morning in the classroom.

Paul setting up the video camera.

The night ended with the soon to be instructors bonding over beverages after returning from individual group meals. The camaraderie between instructors was starting to grow…

Day Two:
    0600 – Cross-fit workout – Midland PD animal Lt. H. again showed us So Cal boys the tenacity of an ex-farrier. 0800 – We all met in the classroom for video critique. We were shown the effectiveness of video critique off the range. It is amazing how much you can learn by watching yourself. Paul helped us all find one or more things to work on later that day on the range. I am sold on the usefulness and incorporate it into my own training now.

We were also assigned into two teams of instructors for our upcoming two day teaching portion of the class. Team leaders were picked based off experience and leadership qualities displayed to Paul. Each team leader was assigned four guys on his team. Two standards were assigned to two guys that they would have to learn and teach perfectly to the paying students. Everyone had assignments to teach and demo.

By 0930 we were on the range again. We started off with a Shooter Diagnostic module. During this module Paul had us shooting at bulls eyes from 25 yards. He taught us how to determine what our troubles were using this module.

We practiced a bit and then shot the standards and picked up the last Midland PD instructor, those guys are good. We broke for lunch and then came back to shoot the standards again. We picked up a few more instructors, including yours truly. Those who passed the standards were given a handshake and CSAT hat from Paul. It is immensely gratifying as passing Paul’s standards is no easy task with your “instructor” title on the line. Of note: Paul will not give you a certificate of completion if you do not pass his standards… you will simply get a certificate of attendance.

Our time on the range ended with shooting steel at 85 yards. Paul showed each student that they could reach out and touch someone even with their service pistols.

Paul teaching us how to shoot at distance with our pistols.

Midland PD Lt. H. showing us how it is done.

We headed back for the lodge and shared food and drink. Paul was even in on the fun along with his assistant Eric. Of note: Eric is Paul’s right hand man at CSAT. Eric is extremely helpful and knowledgeable. It was great being able to rely on Eric at anytime we needed help. We talked about anything and everything. It was truly refreshing to break bread with a man of Paul’s character. I feel that I learned quite a lot just listening to the man’s thoughts. The best part was that Paul actually was also interested in what we had to say and hear our experiences in life. After a long night of camaraderie it was time to hit the sack in preparation of another training day the next morning.

Day Three:
    We went straight to the range and we shot the standards again in the morning to try and pick up additional instructors. I do not believe we picked up anyone. We went on to learn new modules of instruction that we would be accountable to teach the students on day five and six.

The first module was working the barricades on steel at 20 yards. Paul taught us how to use cover and pop out from it to engage targets. We did this from a standing and kneeling position. We worked both right and left sides of our barricades. Paul then showed us his method of tactical reloads and we again worked the barricades incorporating tac-reloads this time.

Deputy S. doing a dynamic pop-out.

We broke for lunch and came back to work hard in getting our last guys to become instructors. We picked up Deputy S. as shown in the picture below. Of note: Once you pass your standards you start running the other guys on the line. Your primary responsibility becomes running the clipboard and or timer/speaker. Paul has you learning how to run the range as soon as you make the standards.

Deputy S. gives thanks up high for his passing of the standards.

We finished out the day with more standards and practiced our teaching assignments when not shooting or running the line. By the end of the day each team of two guys had to conduct their teaching block to Paul for critique. Paul is very demanding and holds you accountable to represent him well. It was an honor to teach under him and to be critiqued so honestly.

Back at the lodge instructor hats were worn proudly. Food and drink were ordered. The camaraderie continued. Of Note: Those who still had not passed their standards were showing signs of stress. Time was getting short. We all felt for them as all of us battled with the same stress at different times. Some had traveled thousands of miles to complete the class, not get certificates of attendance. Paul’s holding us accountable made our cohesiveness tighter and propelled us to help one another in word and action.

Day Four:
    We went to the vehicle range to start the morning off. Here we learned how to work around vehicles and use them as cover while engaging threats. Paul taught us the Sul position as a way to safely move from position to position with a pistol. We kept back from the vehicle body by a few yards in order to help avoid skipped rounds deflected off the car from our adversaries.

Paul learning to take advantage of the "Hollywood" photo ops.

We progressed to a hostage precision shot drill that Paul named “Mary-Kate.” Here you basically do a horizontal snake and engage five increasingly difficult hostage shots from each station. This drill was run dry during the first evolution followed by a wet run. By the end of the drill you had taken 50 individual shots and were mentally smoked.

The rest of the day on the range was spent running the line in order to get our last three guys their instructor’s title and hat. We picked up one more and were all elated at the progress. Each man’s personal victory at passing the standards was a victory for us all as we all pitched in and ran accelerated standards, even during our own time.

Picking up another instructor.

We also were given the task of providing another rehearsal of our instruction blocks to Paul. Critique was given and we all had our approval to teach the next day. We ended by prepping the range for the students coming in the next morning.

Of Note: After hours we picked up another instructor… a fine testament to the willingness of our team to help one another even after dismissal.

Day Five:
    The students arrived in a timely manner. We helped manage the parking and directed the students as to where briefing would be held. Paul held the briefing and had each instructor introduce himself to the class. After the paperwork and briefing was finished we took the students to the line and started with safety briefs and instruction. Student to instructor ratio was 2-1… these guys got great personal attention. We assigned each student to one of two instructor teams. Paul had the class lead and made sure each instructor was being held to a high standard of teaching and accountability.

As the day wore on we gave instructional blocks on all the standards. The students shot a couple hundred rounds. We finished with a run at the standards and then video taping.

Day Six:
    0800 - The students met us in the classroom at the lodge for video critique. We broke into the two assigned teams of instructors and students. We ran two projectors in separate areas to use our time efficiently for critique. The students in my group seemed to be just as happy about the video critique as I had been.

After the video critique we met on the range for our learning modules. We again split into assigned teams. Each team ran their students through the shooter diagnostics, vehicle, and barricade modules. They were then ran through the precision “Mary-Kate” module and also shot the standards on shirts. After which we practiced the standards that the students had the most trouble with. We ended on the range with another run at the standards.

Of Note: We picked up our last instructor during the end of lunch. It was a feeling of elation to know we left no one behind.

Paul held the closing ceremonies for the students and instructors. We were invited to stay overnight at the lodge free of charge if our travel plans kept us. At 0400 the next morning it was time to hit the road to Houston for our flight home.

Thoughts:

Paul’s six day TPI course is a steal at his current tuition rate of $800. His lodge is also a steal for the $100 he charged us to stay all week. His hospitality is excellent as was his teaching abilities. Both Paul and Eric never boasted their chests in order to show their authority… rather they treated us all as equals and guests.

Paul does not hold anything back when it comes to teaching his instructors how to teach others. We were given a CD full of instructional materials, to include PowerPoints and imbedded videos. Anytime we had a question of why he taught something he told us his true thoughts and why he thought that way.

Paul’s business model seems to be based on teaching students how to get the job done and how to teach it to others. He gives you everything you need to teach your partners back home, even at the possible detriment of possible lost future business. Paul is booked a year out and so it appears that he can choose his clients. It was an honor being able to fit into his teaching schedule.

Paul even took the time to sign our books (Leadership and Training for the Fight) that he authored and our hats. Of all people… he thanked me for my service in law enforcement in his signing of my book… a true class act as it is I whom am thankful for the service that he gave in protecting our country.

Paul hands out his business card in class and says that you can call his cell or email him. He states that instruction doesn’t end with the class, that he is available for questions after. On that he is not making an idle statement. He has provided support via email for me on several issues since the class, of which I am very thankful.

In conclusion:
    I would highly recommend this course to anyone thinking about taking an instructor’s course whether to teach or to simply improve one’s self. You cannot go wrong with Paul Howe. He is a great instructor and an even better American.

Our friend of unknown origin acting normal.

A fine "specimen" sent to us from Germany.

The above is written to the best of my recollection of the class and events.
    Last edited by tjcoker; 12-15-08 at 15:14.

Feedback Score
    Funny, those Midland guys must go through Paul's classes all the time. They're ringers! Just kidding, or maybe not. The Ex-Ferrier Midland Lt. was my coach when I went through the Tactical Rifle class. Really good guy, and funny. And yes, they can push out the cross fit like nobody's business. Really professional guys all in all.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Nice AAR, that looks like Helmie in the 2nd to last pic.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Great AAR!

I hope to make my way out to TX one of these days - unless someone can compel Mr. Howe to travel!

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tjcoker View Post
    Paul’s six day TPI course is a steal at his current tuition rate of $800. His lodge is also a steal for the $100 he charged us to stay all week. His hospitality is excellent as was his teaching abilities. Both Paul and Eric never boasted their chests in order to show their authority… rather they treated us all as equals and guests.

Paul does not hold anything back when it comes to teaching his instructors how to teach others. We were given a CD full of instructional materials, to include PowerPoints and imbedded videos. Anytime we had a question of why he taught something he told us his true thoughts and why he thought that way.

Paul’s business model seems to be based on teaching students how to get the job done and how to teach it to others. He gives you everything you need to teach your partners back home, even at the possible detriment of possible lost future business. Paul is booked a year out and so it appears that he can choose his clients. It was an honor being able to fit into his teaching schedule.

Paul even took the time to sign our books (Leadership and Training for the Fight) that he authored and our hats. Of all people… he thanked me for my service in law enforcement in his signing of my book… a true class act as it is I whom am thankful for the service that he gave in protecting our country.

Paul hands out his business card in class and says that you can call his cell or email him. He states that instruction doesn’t end with the class, that he is available for questions after. On that he is not making an idle statement. He has provided support via email for me on several issues since the class, of which I am very thankful.

In conclusion:
    I would highly recommend this course to anyone thinking about taking an instructor’s course whether to teach or to simply improve one’s self. You cannot go wrong with Paul Howe. He is a great instructor and an even better American.

The above is written to the best of my recollection of the class and events.

Very good AAR, and your account of Paul and Eric are spot on. Both Paul and Eric are true gentlemen. I am lucky to have these guys within easy driving distance and cannot wait to get back out there.

The individual times and individual video tape are very good motivators and also very instructive.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Sounds like a great class...one I'd like to take one day.

Feedback Score
    Excellent AAR. Those Midland boys ARE ringers. Two of them were in my pistol instructor course back in March 2008 and they could shoot pretty well back then, too.

Your description of the relief and elation after passing the standards brings back memories. We picked up the Midland boys the first few days and the majority of us had fallen in by the time the weekend class started. I still wear my CSAT hat with pride.

I don't believe we did the "Mary-Kate" module. That must be a new addition.

Thanks for the AAR.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    I grew up in Midland. I always thought we had a very good police department. It's great to see they are doing so well. I'd move back there in a heartbeat.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBJJ View Post
    Excellent AAR. Those Midland boys ARE ringers. Two of them were in my pistol instructor course back in March 2008 and they could shoot pretty well back then, too.

Your description of the relief and elation after passing the standards brings back memories. We picked up the Midland boys the first few days and the majority of us had fallen in by the time the weekend class started. I still wear my CSAT hat with pride.

I don't believe we did the "Mary-Kate" module. That must be a new addition.

Thanks for the AAR.
    Mary-Kate, if I got the name right, is a hostage target that Paul had LE targets make up for him. He had someone take photos of him with a mask on holding his daughter hostage. In the first of five pictures you get 3/4 his head to shoot, then the next is 2/3, then half, etc all the way down to 1/4. It just progressively gets harder to break a clean shot.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Paul is a great instructor, low key and no ego whatsover. He put forth several options to solve a problem and explained the advantages and disadvantages of the different techniques. I had the pleasure of hosting his weekend class at our local gun club a couple years ago.

There's not enough write ups of Paul's classes and he deserve the credits and a shout out. Thanks for sharing the info with the rest of the community.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast