Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best CLP? Hoppe’s 9 vs Break Free CLP, Slip 2000, Ballistol, Frog Lube, Extreme Force

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    I can see that, probably still better than the ultra thin oils like Rem Oil and such.
    Pretty sure plain spit is better than Rem Oil.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Been using Breakfree CLP since the '80s, guess I'll just stick with it.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    I have the gallon jug of it I use for cleaning. But I clean about 1 AR per year.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I was using EWL but I didn't like how thin it was. It always seemed to run off when in storage. Breakfree CLP has been fine. I don't see a reason to run out and try something else.

Interesting were the cold tests and how many lubes froze solid. Unless you're storing a weapon in a hot car, I can see cold being more of a problem than heat, AO dependent of course. I had an old duty holster where if I was outside in freezing weather too long I couldn't draw the handgun because the retention mechanism stiffened up too much so how things work in the cold is always something I pay attention too.

Feedback Score
    Same here except I started in the early 90's.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    A shame he did not include G96.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I started using Break Free CLP in the 1970's and still use it when someone gives me a bottle.

I started using Mobil 1 on my AR's, M1A's, M1 Garands, M1 Carbines, Glocks, 1911's, etc. in the 1990's and have had very good luck with it.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    I'm very surprised that Break-Free CLP did better than Slip EWL, especially in preventing wear. I was led to believe that Break-Free was not as good.

I have been on a very slow road process of trying to convert over from Break-Free to Slip products, but maybe I won't be continuing on that path.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I was surprised by the overall results. The most surprising aspect was how poorly Ballistol fared. Won't be buying any of that again as I've never found it to be a great carbon remover and it bothers my nose something awful.

I too wish he'd included G96 in the testing. Maybe he'll do a round two. Was really glad he did the cold test as the seemed to have separated the men from the boys.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    I was surprised by the overall results. The most surprising aspect was how poorly Ballistol fared. Won't be buying any of that again as I've never found it to be a great carbon remover and it bothers my nose something awful.

I too wish he'd included G96 in the testing. Maybe he'll do a round two. Was really glad he did the cold test as the seemed to have separated the men from the boys.
    Ballistol works great on cleaning black powder residue from muzzle loading firearms. It also does a good job of cleaning a Mauser after shooting corrosive ammunition. That's all I use Ballistol to clean and do not use it as a lube.
    Train 2 Win

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast