Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question about bolt catch

Feedback Score

Question about bolt catch

I have a LMT Defender 2000 lower and the bolt catch/bolt release “paddle” rattles when there is no tension from the magazine follower (ie: with a loaded magazine or no magazine at all). Is this normal? It locks th bolt back on empty and am able to release the bolt. Thanks in advance.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by captdreifus View Post
    I have a LMT Defender 2000 lower and the bolt catch/bolt release “paddle” rattles when there is no tension from the magazine follower (ie: with a loaded magazine or no magazine at all). Is this normal? It locks th bolt back on empty and am able to release the bolt. Thanks in advance.
    No it is not normal. The exact same thing happened to me upon the purchase of a complete LMT lower. You need to tap out the roll pin holding the bolt catch. You don't need to completely remove it, just enough to remove the catch. On mine the plunger hole was out of spec. It was tapered to such an extent that the plunger was wedged in the recess. LMT CS was worthless and frankly arrogant. I used every trick I had heard about. You could see where the installer had used a pick to try to remove the plunger. He had actually scraped it down to bare alum. I guess he decided no one would notice and just installed the catch. It took me 2 hours to get it out.

I then had to drill the recess and reinstalled the spring, plunger and catch. The other option is that someone forgot to install the plunger spring or the plunger. Just buy the parts and install. I suppose you could call LMT. Perhaps you will have better luck than I did with their CS. I guess the little card with the initials of the person who assembled the lower means nothing. When I asked if they wanted the persons initials, the guy said no. Their CS wasn't much better when I had a LMT BCG--2 of them, that had substandard gas key staking. It resulted in the gas key coming loose after approximately 700 rounds. Their CS told me to tighten it and hit it with a screwdriver. Said it was a field fix. Said if I sent the BCG to them, that is what they would do. When I asked about sealing, changing screws, checking for sheared screws and proper torque plus staking--same answer. Field fix, tighten and hit it with a screwdriver. YMMV, but this is my experience.

Cheers, Steve

Feedback Score
    Well that’s not good. I have a punch set coming this week for the bolt catch roll pin. Hopefully just a bad spring/plunger. When did you buy your LMT if you don’t mind me asking? I got mine around 2010 but it was lost in the safe for a while.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Does it have bounce to it/spring back? I hope you don't have the same issue as ssc did.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Well that’s not good. I have a punch set coming this week for the bolt catch roll pin. Hopefully just a bad spring/plunger. When did you buy your LMT if you don’t mind me asking? I got mine around 2010 but it was lost in the safe for a while.
    Check the diameter of the punch with a caliper or micrometer before using it on the bolt catch roll pin. I've seen punches a few thousandths of an inch oversize and they will ruin the holes on the lower receiver.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Does it have bounce to it/spring back? I hope you don't have the same issue as ssc did.
    When I push in the bottom of the paddle, there is some resistance/springiness and it does feel that there is at least a spring in there.

Feedback Score
    Good to know. I got the Wheeler Delta Bolt catch punch inbound.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    When I push in the bottom of the paddle, there is some resistance/springiness and it does feel that there is at least a spring in there.
    Could be partially occluded. Wouldn't hurt to pull it out and deburr anything restricting the movement I guess. I hate to take anything apart unless I have to, but sometimes you have to.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    I believe it was 2016.

Regards, Steve

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post
    Check the diameter of the punch with a caliper or micrometer before using it on the bolt catch roll pin. I've seen punches a few thousandths of an inch oversize and they will ruin the holes on the lower receiver.
    Should measure 3/32 or smaller right?also, thanks for the tip
    Last edited by captdreifus; 01-18-22 at 15:34.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast