Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Has anyone done any long range testing on 300 AAC?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Humpy70 View Post
    I just checked and don't see it. Did you send it to my email?????

Anybody can download

http://www.thinlineweapons.com/IWBA/

If you want to talk send me a PM.
    Oh thanks, I misunderstood the same files were in the Google drive link. I did get all these then and haven’t had a chance to read yet but very interested. We typically out so much confidence and weight against ballistics assumptions it is good to take note of past studies.

Andrew - Texan as of 2021
    NRA Life Member, CRPA member, Calguns.net contributor, CGF / SAF / FPC / CCRKBA / GOA / NAGR / NRA-ILA contributor, USCCA member - Support your defenders!

Feedback Score
    I've shot 7.62x39 to just under 300 yds with a 3x scope. And it's faster than .300 Blk. The wind really pushes it off course, too.

It wasn't good at all. You can hit really low at 275 or really high at 150 or kinda high and kinda low depending where you zero.

.300 Blk is a magnum pistol caliber you can easily fire from an AR style gun that suppresses well with even slower subsonic ammo.

If you want 300, or as OP mentioned, 600 yd performance choose another caliber.
    Last edited by Ron3; 01-22-22 at 22:02.

Feedback Score
    Just wondering but what kind of groups will it print at 100 yards? Are you talking handloads, commercial or COMBLOC ammo?

I finally figured out what was going on and why I could not get proper case length even when I trimmed them so as soon as my case holder arrives I am off to the party.
    Last edited by Humpy70; 01-23-22 at 06:16.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    I can get 1.5" groups at 100 with a scoped/LPVO optic and 2.5" with an 8"/ RD with a 2 MOA Dot (the Dot appears close3r to 3, than 2 MOA). This being handloads with Barnes 110 gr "Black Tip".

I just checked a Ballistic app I use. At 600 yds I have 212"/17'6" of drop with my handload, and as said the stubby, crappy BC bullets are pushed around by wind a great deal. With a RD I would have no realistic expectation of hitting a Torso sized target with any regularaty at that distance. Perhaps using a MIL Reticle scope, with verified DOPE I'd have a slim chance of connecting with regularity- assuming conditions were ideal, and consistent.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    The theory I am going on is I know the 173 gr. military match bullets remain stable throughout their flight life.
    For instance is a well known fact that Sierra 30 cal 168s were never designed for long range shooting but millions of them were shot and I know from experience that they produce round holes at 900 yards in paper but at 1000 yards they have started to tumble.
    I also know from experience 173 gr. match bullets will not tumble when fired at maximum elevation to achieve the longest distance before the round hits the ground. That was confirmed by radar tracking at Aberdeen Proving Ground and the bullets did not yaw or tumble when they passed below Mach 1 and were stable all the way into the ground.
    Thus I am figuring they will also remain stable shot and 1700 fps and should not tumble as any range though it is also going to be shorter.
    Assuming I can get a scope with a duplex reticle that I can use the 6 o'clock post as a aiming point when I get to the longer ranges.
    I remember seeing a Army sniper manual in 1989 time frame that revealed that Army sniper rifles were zeroed (IIRC) at 600 yards and the held over or under for longer shots when fired at maximum elevation to attain such which is hte 30/31 degree range.

I am in hopes my 173s will print about 11" at 600 yards so we will see.

Assuming I can get muzzle velocity at 1700 I figure they will drop below Mach 1 at 500 yards so it will be interesting.
    Last edited by Humpy70; 01-23-22 at 17:42.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123