Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone done any long range testing on 300 AAC?

Feedback Score
    The only way it might be doable assuming you have a duplex reticle is to get a 300 zero and then see about using the 6 oclock post in the scope to see where it hits.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Lots of uniformed opinions here. I think a good way to think of it is 300 Blk = 308 starting at 300 (or whatever) yards so anyone shooting 308 to 1000 saying 300 is worthless beyond 300 could be wrong. Blackout hate is kind of amazing considering that more or less 300 Blk=7.62x39=8mm Kurtz. Is it good long range cartridge, no, is it a good modern day Sturmgewehr IMO yes, caveat, if you are going to use at extended range get a scope with a proper reticle, Primary Arms makes some good ones but there are others.

Last edited by mack7.62; 01-19-22 at 11:07.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I said its a poor cartridge for 600 yards.

If you cut 600 in HALF, then yea I would shoot a 300BLK no problem. You dont even need to do any weird shit like zero at 300 with a 175 SMK. That's all non sense. My buddy had a 300BLK upper with some LPVO he brought to the 500 yard steel range one day. With a little hold over 300 yard targets where no problem. 400 it became an issue and 500 was a waste. For reference I shoot my 10.5 556 out to 300 yards like its a chip shot.

EDIT: To add- the effective engagement distance of any weapons platform is some what optic/eyesight limited. If you are shooting a red dot vs a LPVO vs a real 4- 16 with mil tree and ballistic calculator... all makes a significant difference. If your willing to dial turrets for a laser measured distance you can kinda make anything work. If we are talking about reasonable red dots or LPVO's then it reals everything back into the realms of reality. Also in my experience lighter bullets with more velocity are always flatter shooting at most distances than a heavy and slow bullet. It's simple physics. Everyone tries to get the highest BC possible. I dont think that really matters till the bullet is WAYYY down range and strelokpro backs this theory up. My current gamer gun is a 6.5 CM and Strelok pro shows a 107 being flatter to 1k than a 140 (my current load). In fact at the distances my matches regularly shoot the 107 is a full half mil LESS than the 140.
    Last edited by turnburglar; 01-19-22 at 14:44.
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Feedback Score
    Based on my experience as a small arms test director at Aberdeen Proving Ground I know that computer calculations insofar as drops are iffy. Shortly after starting at Aberdeen I learned from the Ballistics Research Lab that computer projections are only correct 5% of the time.

I used to have a piece of plywood about 3 ft wide and 8 feet high I could cover with news print I got from the local paper and I would cover the plywood and place a target about 7 feet off the ground and after zeroing at my base range I would go down and shoot a 3 shot group at each yard line and move back 100 yards without touching the sights.

After I got through I would measure the shots from the center of each hole to the center of the target and record the data on a sticker to put on the drops of the rifle.

I would do it summer and winter.

At the Proving Ground it was more involved as we had a target that was 32 feet high and 32 feet wide and we could go from 100 to 1000 yards and never touch the sights and three ten shot groups would be fired at each range with each rifle. Shot impacts was measured with a steel 25 meter measuring tape. We could also measure bullet drift as range increased.

Assuming your rifle will be accurate enough try 1 gal plastic milk jugs filled with water and see how far you can go back and still achieve penetration. If you don't get a full penetration on a gal milk jug you have exceeded the useful limits.

The video above was very interesting. I think if a bipod had been used for the front rest instead of the pack with the loose/unsteady bags he was using he would have likely done much better. Would have also liked to have seen just how well that ammo grouped at 100 yards for a starter.

CIP a friend brought his AK down and shot it at my house with COMBLOC ammo and it was grouping about 7" at 100 yards and he thought that was pretty good until I went in and got my Super 14 Thompson Contender with scope out and shot him a five shot group in about 1 1/2" at 100 yards and he realized the AK did not have it.

I had a good friend (Col Martin Fackler MD) who was Commander of the Army Wound Ballistics Lab. Marty's specialty was bullet wounds in Viet Nam and he noticed big differences so he started talking to the troops he patched up to determine what they had been shot with and from how far away and after Nam the Surgeon General of the Army was also interested and set up the Wound Ballistics Lab and Marty went to work. I maintained contact with him till 2015 when he passed. I got about two emails a week from him and we talked about once a month or so.

He determined very quickly that the M193 and the M855 ammo from 16s lost a lot of their energy at only 95 yards and other MDs got involved and the International Wound Ballistics Assn was formed and they printed journals for ten years. If you were a member you paid 600.00 to get all the journals. Here they are for you all to download and read for free. I was a charter member of IWBA.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...3pWYVVJeGlGaFE
    Last edited by Humpy70; 01-20-22 at 12:51.

Feedback Score
    Humpy70,

Thanks for the IWBA Journals. That stuff is fascinating to study.

Cheers!

Feedback Score
    Did they open OK for you?

I found another source that opened for me.

http://www.thinlineweapons.com/IWBA/

Feedback Score
    The couple of them that I’ve clicked on opened fine. This second link. might be a good link to save as a favorite.

Thanks again amigo!

Feedback Score
    If you had been a member and saved all the journals, you would have spent 600.00 in member fees for them so this is the best deal going. Can't beat free and delivered.
    Last edited by Humpy70; 01-21-22 at 06:03.

Feedback Score

Has anyone done any long range testing on 300 AAC?

Hi Humpy70, I’m interested in the details of this discussion and just sent you a request for access to that as well.

Andrew - Texan as of 2021
    NRA Life Member, CRPA member, Calguns.net contributor, CGF / SAF / FPC / CCRKBA / GOA / NAGR / NRA-ILA contributor, USCCA member - Support your defenders!

Feedback Score
    I just checked and don't see it. Did you send it to my email?????

Anybody can download

http://www.thinlineweapons.com/IWBA/

If you want to talk send me a PM.
    Last edited by Humpy70; 01-21-22 at 09:12.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast