Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Shot Show 2022

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    FN finally released a non-reciprocating charging handle on the SCAR.

Feedback Score
    What? Nobody is jazzed about the new 30 Super Carry from Federal? Almost as powerful as a 9mm with two more rounds in the mag. Have we learned nothing from 357 SIG? I sure home Federal isn't wasting valuable production line time that could be spent doing something the market needs like cranking out more 9mm range ammo.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    What about the new long stroke recoil “AR-10”?

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch110 View Post
    Almost as powerful as a 9mm with two more rounds in the mag. Have we learned nothing from 357 SIG?
    what do these two sentences have in common?

Quote Originally Posted by CRAMBONE View Post
    What about the new long stroke recoil “AR-10”?
    Who’s doing that?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    what do these two sentences have in common?
    357 SIG was developed to cover a gap between the 9mm and the 40. Which it did for a brief period of time until 9mm +P+ hit the scene. Much in the same way the 30 Super Carry is trying to cover the gap between 380 and 9mm. I loved the 357 SIG for a brief period of time but eventually went back to 9mm. As a side note I also think the branding, defining it as a SIG cartridge, also did not help its overall adoption. If they had called it the 9mm Magnum it would have grown some legs. Nobody (except Glock) wants to cross brand their models based on caliber.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Mars Inc. (never heard of them) but I don’t think they know what recoil is if they think a long stroke is going to have less felt recoil.)

https://youtu.be/h_ymleH_e3A

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    I believe the FN SCAR NRCH came out in August. Recoil had an article I believe.
    Last edited by gamewarden; 01-24-22 at 17:54. Reason: Addition
    Colt Armorer Course, 2004
    Remington Factory LE Armorer School (870, 1187, and 700), 2008, 2013
    Remington 870 LE Armorer course, 2017
    Specialized Armament M16 / M4 / AR-15® Advanced Armorer Course, 2012, 2016
    Glock Armorer Course, 2012, 2016
    S&W M&P 15 Armorer Course, 2013, 2019

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch110 View Post
    357 SIG was developed to cover a gap between the 9mm and the 40. Which it did for a brief period of time until 9mm +P+ hit the scene. Much in the same way the 30 Super Carry is trying to cover the gap between 380 and 9mm. I loved the 357 SIG for a brief period of time but eventually went back to 9mm. As a side note I also think the branding, defining it as a SIG cartridge, also did not help its overall adoption. If they had called it the 9mm Magnum it would have grown some legs. Nobody (except Glock) wants to cross brand their models based on caliber.
    I’m not convinced its trying to fill a gap between .380 and 9mm. Its a 50,000psi cartridge with the same overall length as 9mm. It is only going to work in weapons that are suitable for 9mm because of those two things. The goal appears to be to simply add ammo capacity without losing energy. More like what the 10mm would do to compete with .45. than what the .357Sig did to compete with 9mm or .40.

Just speculation.

Edit: my point is just that while both of the sentences I pointed out make perfect sense, their proximity confused me. Wasn’t meant to be argumentative.

Quote Originally Posted by CRAMBONE View Post
    Mars Inc. (never heard of them) but I don’t think they know what recoil is if they think a long stroke is going to have less felt recoil.)

https://youtu.be/h_ymleH_e3A
    Thanks.
    Last edited by 1168; 01-25-22 at 08:39.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I would rather see our manufactures dedicate themselves to making more ammo and primers at less than stupid prices.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    I’m not convinced its trying to fill a gap between .380 and 9mm. Its a 50,000psi cartridge with the same overall length as 9mm. It is only going to work in weapons that are suitable for 9mm because of those two things. The goal appears to be to simply add ammo capacity without losing energy. More like what the 10mm would do to compete with .45. than what the .357Sig did to compete with 9mm or .40.

Just speculation.

Edit: my point is just that while both of the sentences I pointed out make perfect sense, their proximity confused me. Wasn’t meant to be argumentative.

Thanks.
    No worries. I didn't take your comment as being argumentative at all. I watched the review with the Federal rep and even with the 50,000 PSI chamber pressure they were quoting numbers that were mush lower than +P or +P+ 9mm rounds. Check out the Federal comparison chart / marketing. Notice they only compare it to standard 9mm defensive loads and make claims that its just as good as. But once you measure it against a stouter 9mm load it falls behind pretty quickly in all areas.

https://www.federalpremium.com/30supercarry.html

I like to use this chart for comparison. Sure, if Federal cherry picks which 9mm load they want to compare it to they can make those claims all day long. But there are rounds on this chart that leave it in the dust. To me I don't the two rounds extra capacity as enough reason to switch from 9mm.

http://ballistics101.com/9mm.php

Also note in their marketing material they are marketing it squarely as "more power than a 380 and more capacity than a 9mm." Was that really a void that needed filled?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast