Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is it still worth reloading?

Feedback Score
    6 (88%)

Is it still worth reloading?

I wasn't too sure whether to put this in GD or reloading, so mods please move it if it doesn't belong here.

I've been selling off a lot of things to come up with money recently. I'm planning on buying some land hopefully sometime this summer. I'm currently military, so I wouldn't be using it for another 4 years when I build a house on it. The plan is to just lock something in while it's available at current prices, and then focus on building the house when I get out.

Something I came across was my reloading components that I've bought years ago as a "just to have one day when I start reloading". It's mostly rifle and pistol powder and primers, all still sealed/unopened. I don't have a press or projectiles. Reloading was something I always wanted to get into eventually, and the main reason for that was if ammo became too expensive or restricted one day.

Ammo prices are still pretty crazy right now compared to before the election. I do still have a decent stash of ammo. Being that I'm away from home, I can't shoot it and I wouldn't be able to start reloading till I ETS anyway.

I did the math on selling the reloading components, and at current market prices I think I can safely say there'd be $4 - $5k if not more. I'd sell locally in CA when I go back to visit in the summer to avoid shipping/hazmat.

So my question is: in your opinion/experience, would it be wise to just dump the reloading components for the few $k to put towards buying some land? I have a rule about not selling ammo, and I told myself I wouldn't ever sell the reloading components. I've read multiple threads on opinions about getting into reloading and the common theme was that it was more of a separate hobby from shooting, and that "you won't save any money on shooting, but you'll be able to shoot more." However, that was from a time where ammo was almost half as expensive. Things have changed, and now I'm trying to figure out if selling it would be something I'd regret later.

I'm sure in the near future I'll start a family as well, and I just don't know if I'll have so much time for extra hobbies. If reloading is still more of *just a hobby* then I can let it go, but if you guys think that's changed with the current environment, then I'd probably hang on to it.

Again, I don't have a press or projectiles. I won't be able to start reloading for another few years. I do have a somewhat ok stash of ammo - not close to a lifetime supply, but it would last a few years. $5k is $5k, I wouldn't say that I make a lot of money, but I'm not on the verge of being homeless or eating ramen for the next 5 years. All of my bills still get paid on time, and I'll be able to make monthly payments on the land. I'm just trying to get some opinions on what to do, I've never reloaded a single bullet so I really don't know if it's something I'd fall in love with - reloading has always just been a backup plan to getting around ammo shortages.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    In my opinion; I would hang on to the reloading components.
    With the way things are going, no telling if they will be available, legal or affordable in the future.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    ^^^^^^^agreed especially here in Kalifornia

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    “If you have them by the balls, their hearts and minds will follow” Chuck Colson

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Keep the components for a rainy day in a secure and environmentally controlled location. Having the ability to generate your own ammunition is peace of mind! There is no garuntee regarding your ability to restock your current holdings once you have liquidated it.

For an aside, I shoot obscure cartridges that mandate reloading. So yes, it is worth it to me. I also have coworkers who don't shoot any more due to ammunition cost/availability. I have not slowed down as I have the material on hand to maintain production.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by w3453l View Post
    Again, I don't have a press or projectiles.
    Bullets are fairly "gettable" right now. Powder and primers are overpriced and hard to find. Building your equipment up is a long process of figuring out how you want to load and what you need to make it happen. Hang on to what you have.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I would take your time and find a good deal on a press, and start looking for bullets at a good price. Most likely powder and primers will come back down. I think everybody should should be set up to load just in case.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by czgunner; 01-19-22 at 09:30.

Feedback Score
    By summer, the prices will be down and being second-hand, some would have reservations about buying from you based on the fact that there is no guarantee how it was stored. Whatever you believe it is worth, it may be a bit less and by summer it will continue to fall.

Remember, this time last year, you couldn’t buy primers. Now you can buy them at will for an elevated price. They are starting to sit around a few days now.

Hang on to them and have the peace of mind that you’ll be able to keep your rifles and pistols fed during the next inevitable shortage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    What kind of land can you get for $5k in a spot where you'd want to live?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mRad View Post
    By summer, the prices will be down
    I hope you're right. This panic has lasted too long.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    6 (88%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnerblue View Post
    What kind of land can you get for $5k in a spot where you'd want to live?
    I don't know of anywhere that I could buy a piece of land for only $5k. The places I was looking at in the area were anything from $100k - $300k. What I was getting at with the $5k was that it would just go towards downpayment and/or monthly payments.

Thanks for answers everyone. I think I'll hang to everything for now. It's all kept in a safe climate controlled environment at my father's house.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast