Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Is it still worth reloading?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post
    Agreed...

I'm not quite at the shooting-to-reload point, but I do enjoy it as its own activity.
    Yeah, I'm not there yet either, but I do find it relaxing as well. Especially after dealing with increasingly retarded people every day for 10-12 hours.

It is also supremely rewarding to shoot reliable, good groups with stuff you've produced yourself.

Feedback Score
    No error...

I buy primers every 5-10 years, but I'm watching prices constantly. When prices are low, then I stock up. Before the COVID panic, prices were rock bottom.

FWIW, I decided last month that I don't even need/want 10,000 of those Wolf SPPs, and I passed them on to a friend, who traded me 4,000 cast bullets.

Win-win: I calculate that I paid 5¢/bullet, and he calculates that I paid 60¢/bullet, because he can't find primers for less than 12¢ each.

My point is that when things were normal SW or Brownells were selling primers for ≈2¢ each, and presumably still making at least a marginal profit, then the wholesale price for primers must be significantly lower.

Even if materials and labor are now more expensive, they're not 50% more expensive... (Not yet, anyway.)
    Brownells hasn’t sold any primers for $0.02 in the last two or three years that I can recall. I’d have bought them if they did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mRad View Post
    In 2020, my dealer’s COST was $0.03.

And rest assured SW would be charging more than that.

Feedback Score
    In 2020, my dealer’s COST was $0.03.
    I'm guessing that was after March, once the panic had begun...

Quote Originally Posted by DG23 View Post
    And rest assured SW would be charging more than that.
    One would think so, but I'm guessing that SW was selling stock for which they'd paid (much) less.

Alternatively, perhaps I simply got lucky, and as SW was blowing out their reloading gear, they sold those primers at a loss. (The same store now has virtually no reloading components or equipment.)

Brownells hasn’t sold any primers for $0.02 in the last two or three years...
    I bought from them in 2016...

Feedback Score
    I'm guessing that was after March, once the panic had begun...

One would think so, but I'm guessing that SW was selling stock for which they'd paid (much) less.

Alternatively, perhaps I simply got lucky, and as SW was blowing out their reloading gear, they sold those primers at a loss. (The same store now has virtually no reloading components or equipment.)

I bought from them in 2016...
    No, that’s before the craziness when cost was slight over two cents. Hell, I think they haven’t been below two cents since about 2014 or 2015.

You getting a deal six years ago is more likely than in 2020.

Feedback Score

YOUR SW may have been discontinuing those items and dumping them at a loss but mine was definitely not.

I keep receipts for that sort of stuff and know what MY SW was selling that sort of stuff for around that time. Was not near 2 cents per (for any brand - let alone CCI) as you suggest...

I have scored powder locally in the past for cheaper than 'expected' (different gun store) because that store did not usually sell a lot of reloading stuff and just wanted it all gone from their shelves so they could have room for other stuff that they actually were selling at the time.

Would not be uncommon to see a particular store in a particular area decide to clearance items that might 'sit around a while' to make room for other stuff that they were moving more of and want to stock and keep on their shelves. They don't make much money if product just sits there collecting dust.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345