Thread: Candela vs lumen

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)

Candela vs lumen

To me they appear (key word) to have the same definition, just worded differently. What's the difference, and how does it impact real-world use? Explain it like I am 6 years old.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Lumens is the overall light output measured in an integrating sphere with no regard for which direction the light is going.

Candela is a measure of how powerful a beam of light is, or how well the lumens are concentrated into a beam.

Two different units of measurement but can be correlated depending on reflector or optic design. As lumens go up, candela will go up given the same reflector or optic. But a very efficient reflector or optic could have higher candela but lower lumens than another light with a very diffuse beam pattern even though technically it puts out more light.

That's my basic, layman's understanding at least. I'm open to correction from the professionals.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dmd08 View Post
    Lumens is the overall light output measured in an integrating sphere with no regard for which direction the light is going.

Candela is a measure of how powerful a beam of light is, or how well the lumens are concentrated into a beam.
    I think the most obvious thing to note that lumens = candela * steradian (and so candela = lumens / steradian), steradian being a unit of solid angle.

From Wiki:

A good rule of thumb for current WML technology is that high candela is oriented at high throw, minimal spill, while high lumens is oriented at minimal throw, but great spill.
    Last edited by Defaultmp3; 01-19-22 at 09:51.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Lumens can be deceptive, candela isn't.

The SF M600DF is a 1500 lumen light with 16,000 candela, and is less desirable to me than my Arisaka/Malkoff 500 lumen light with 55,000 candela.

Lumens is overall output, candela is how far that light can punch out there.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Five_Point_Five_Six View Post
    Lumens can be deceptive, candela isn't.

The SF M600DF is a 1500 lumen light with 16,000 candela, and is less desirable to me than my Arisaka/Malkoff 500 lumen light with 55,000 candela.

Lumens is overall output, candela is how far that light can punch out there.
    Thank you, THIS I understand.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I'm flashing back to the candlepower forums.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Think of it like a garden hose. Lumen is total gallons of water being dispensed per minute. With a certain lens, you can have it spray wide where it covers a lot of area but doesn't go very far or you can have a tighter stream where it doesn't cover a lot of width, but goes a lot farther.

Candela is the definition of how far it goes.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    ^^^Similarly, for comparison to electrical, think lumens = voltage and candela = amperage.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    ^^^Similarly, for comparison to electrical, think lumens = voltage and candela = amperage.
    Oh, I like that. Stolen.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    LOL, yeah, not helpful. I know squat about electrical.