Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Will Gun Safe prices ever go down?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DG23 View Post
    If you are at 27 3/4" now inside the jamb - You will definitely be bigger than 30" after removing the jamb assembly.

Rough openings are usually a few inches bigger on each side than the door / jamb assembly to allow for shimming / blocking. Almost never see one that is 'not' a few inches bigger unless a framer screwed up.

You should be fine with the bigger safe and not have to be messing with the opening liners or anything like that.

Can likely remove the top piece of casing on one side and be able to actually see and measure exactly how wide the rough opening is. Would be a better bet to just remove all of the casing from one side so you can see the opening. Less likely to mess up the miters on the casing at the top that way unless you know exactly how those joints were put together. (did they use glue or not?)

You can get bigger than 28" just by removing your stops. No need to remove entire jamb for that. You only 'need' a 1/4" and both of those door stops likely add up to 1"
    So the Vault Pro, while being about 6” taller and 3” wider, would fit into the room without any messing with my door frame, the cost of shipping for just curbside (they don’t offer in home delivery for my area) puts them way over the quote I got for the Fort Knox delivered and installed. So with that it’s worth me having to remove the frame temporarily. The safe, I’m told, without the handle on it is roughly 28.5 to 29” deep. With that said I might be able to just removed both jambs to get it in the room. Home run but I’ll know for sure once he measures a more exact number. Regardless I’ll have time to figure out what needs to be done.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Krp7894 View Post
    With that said I might be able to just removed both jambs to get it in the room. Home run but I’ll know for sure once he measures a more exact number. Regardless I’ll have time to figure out what needs to be done.
    The jambs are attached to their header. It is an 'assembly' that is not really made where you can just remove one side or the other and it go back as solid as it once was 'easily'.

You are better off removing it all (as an 'assembly') and then putting it back the same way when done after getting the safe where you want it.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DG23 View Post
    The jambs are attached to their header. It is an 'assembly' that is not really made where you can just remove one side or the other and it go back as solid as it once was 'easily'.

You are better off removing it all (as an 'assembly') and then putting it back the same way when done after getting the safe where you want it.
    And that’s what I’ll be doing. Got an actual size of the safe (Fort Knox) with dial and handle wheel (minus the spokes) to be 28.5”. Frame with jambs removed is 28.75”. Vault pro delivery (curbside only) was way too much for my area.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234