Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Am I the only one starting to prefer iron sights?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Am I the only one starting to prefer iron sights?

I've gotten to where I don't even bother turning on the aimpoint in the daytime. The only time I use it now is in low light, where it's too dark to see the sights very well, but still too bright to turn my nods on.

I'm wondering if a fiber front sight would make the aimpoint completely superfluous? I've never tried any fiber sights before, but if they're visible during the dawn and dusk hours, and on very cloudy days, I think I could see my way clear to just 86 my aimpoint altogether.

This wasn't really a conscious thing. I have fixed irons cowitnessed (mk18 mod 0 style), and I just kind of started forgetting to turn the dot on. I would be a few mags deep and then realize, Oh shit my aimpoint isn't even on. Then it got to where the only time I bothered turning it on was when it was dusk and the black front sight got hard to pick up against the black target steel (I'm lazy when it comes to repainting them).

So yea, that's where I'm at now. This happen to anyone else?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Shoot some drills on a timer both ways and get back to us.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Inkslinger View Post
    I actually don't own one. Been thinking about getting one.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    My eyesight isn't good so I need the red dot cowitnessed with irons.... Switching to an LPVO has helped a bit though

I am surprised you don't keep your Aimpoint in all the time.....that is really the benefit of its battery life.

Oh, I call dibs on your Aimpoint (depending on model) if you sell it...

Feedback Score
    I'm pretty sure that the actual timing data as well as my own experience dictates that a RDS is superior to irons for speed. That said, I have irons on every AR that I own.....ya never know what's gonna happen and tech stuff can fail (irons don't).

RDS are a huge asset in the carbine/rifle small arms world but the basics, which don't fail, should always be available. Just my $.02 worth.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Laying prone shooting at 100 yards finding NPA, controlling breathing and taking the shot can be way more relaxing and rewarding than shooting with my MRO. Same goes for standing and kneeling with proper sling usage. Not all the time, but sometimes getting back to basics is exactly what I needed for the few hours I'm at the range.

FWIW, Due to the 2MOA dot on the MRO, my irons shoot better groups as well.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    An advantage of a red dot is the large eye box. If you are using a rear iron sight and always viewing the dot through the aperture you lose this advantage. Maybe try running without the rear sight and see how fast you can get on ready-up drills and odd positions, then put the rear iron back on and see if you can match those times.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Inkslinger View Post
    Have you ever timed it?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pag23 View Post
    My eyesight isn't good so I need the red dot cowitnessed with irons.... Switching to an LPVO has helped a bit though

I am surprised you don't keep your Aimpoint in all the time.....that is really the benefit of its battery life.

Oh, I call dibs on your Aimpoint (depending on model) if you sell it...
    Well since the front sight flew off my Glock while shooting it (and my realization that dots are not in fact daylight bright in all conditions), I've come to value redundancy a lot more than I used to. I still keep the Aimpoint on the rifle as a backup, and for use in twilight when the black front sight is too hard to see.

I keep the dot at a low level, with the assumption that if some shit were to go down it would likely be in the middle of the night. So in bright daylight it might as well be off. Guess I should have clarified that. Allow me to rephrase. I forget to turn it up to a daylight bright level, and don't realize it.

Regarding the battery life, those ratings are for a pretty low level. And each level up reduces battery life exponentially. You'll see a lot of people saying their aimpoint doesn't live up to the battery life claims, and it's because they crank them to max while shooting at the flat range in broad daylight, then never turn them back down to the first or second daylight setting, which is plenty for what goes bump in the night.

Basically they're designed so that you can leave them on constantly, at a level where if it's too dark to see your front sight, you'll by definition be able to see the dot bright and clear. So very much like tritium in that regard. This is extremely useful for all kinds of situations. Namely where if something goes bump in the night, you don't have to fiddle with anything. Just grab the gun and go, with no need to adjust the dot. If it's at that low level, it won't overwhelm your sight picture in dim light, but at the same time it's going to be clearly visible wherever it's too dark to see your front sight. So on the off chance something goes bump in the afternoon, again, no fiddling with the dot necessary. Just grab and go, and your iron sights will be fully usable even if the dot is too dim to see. And of course if you have the time you can crank it to max and see it in almost any condition.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    How are you with irons when you need to go with white light? What if you are going from full daylight outside to very dimly lit inside?

Can you give us some idea of your experience and training?

Quote Originally Posted by ndmiller View Post
    FWIW, Due to the 2MOA dot on the MRO, my irons shoot better groups as well.
    How are you making sure it is not the parallax?

Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast