Page 20 of 26 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Am I the only one starting to prefer iron sights?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by okie View Post
    Aside from comfort, I'm not a big fan of the lower third spacers. It compromises cheek weld to the point where it's ergonomically problematic in terms of bringing the gun up and being able to automatically find that sight picture. Much the same experience you might have with a wire stock, which I suppose is the reason behind those magpul cheek risers. I guess people wanted a more upright posture, but it makes it harder to control recoil.
    You can't be serious. Please tell me this whole thing has been an early April Fool's joke. Or at least this last part.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    Dude, come on, a quarter of an inch is compromising your cheek weld?? Doesn't seem like other people have an issue with it. I have both lower third and absolute height mounted dots on different rifles, and though I can tell that my cheek is more compressed with the absolute mounted dots, to say that it compromises cheek weld at lower one third is a gross over statement. Whether the dot is absolute or lower third makes no difference to how quickly I acquire the dot on target.

Gotta tell you, your threads seem to have a common theme. You pose a conundrum, and then when offered solutions that have worked for pretty much everyone else, you come up with reasons why the solution doesn't work for you. I'm very much getting the impression that you either thrive on the attention, or you think you're so special that you've discovered a problem that has never occurred to the people that came before you. Either way, I suggest some serious introspection on your part.

Conversations with you remind me of a person who comes to you "looking for advise," and when you offer advise contrary to what they've actually already decided to do, they push back, and ultimately ignore it, because they had already made up their mind before they came to you in the first place. Dude...
    When did I ask for advice? When did I say I had a problem? I'm extremely happy with my setup.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    When did I ask for advice? When did I say I had a problem? I'm extremely happy with my setup.
    Please reread my post. I didn't say you asked for advice; I said you'd "pose a conundrum," and that you reminded me of someone who came asking me for advice.

Glad you're happy with your setup though.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    If you like shooting with a RDS, go for it. I have diminished eyesight and still prefer shooting with iron sights out to 400 yards without the benefit of corrective lenses.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    You've yet to explain how I'm using it incorrectly.
    Quote Originally Posted by C-grunt View Post
    Are you looking at the dot through your iron sights?
    Of course.
    A self fulfilling prophecy.

Man who stares at dot says he is using it correctly. In other news, lower 1/3 mounts are too high. Wait til he sees a FAST Mount!

I know, I said I was done, but it's just too rich.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LowSpeed_HighDrag View Post
    A self fulfilling prophecy.

Man who stares at dot says he is using it correctly. In other news, lower 1/3 mounts are too high. Wait til he sees a FAST Mount!

I know, I said I was done, but it's just too rich.
    Alright, time to put up or shut up. How am I using the dot "incorrectly?"

If you like lower third spacers, fine, good for you. They're too high for me. Doesn't mean I'm doing anything wrong.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    You dont look through your irons when using a dot. Look over your iron sights and through the optic.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C-grunt View Post
    You dont look through your irons when using a dot. Look over your iron sights and through the optic.
    I can't possibly see why you would want to intentionally do it that way, unless the standard height was too low for you because of big cheek bones or something. The standard height is comfortable for me, and where I naturally end up when I bring the stock to my cheek. Why would I want to lift my cheek off the comb just to look over my sights? Seems like if you were going to do that you would just switch to a lower third spacer and avoid the whole parallax thing.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post
    If you like shooting with a RDS, go for it. I have diminished eyesight and still prefer shooting with iron sights out to 400 yards without the benefit of corrective lenses.
    Same here. Irons are WAY more enjoyable to target shoot for me. And the rifle sight radius improves target clarity since I'm moderately near sighted.

I can't possibly see why you would want to intentionally do it that way
    Now you're getting silly. It's WAY faster to sight over top of the irons. AND you can still go regular cheek weld and shoot a co-witness sight pic if you're taking a slower, more precision shot.
    Last edited by markm; 01-28-22 at 12:40.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    Alright, time to put up or shut up. How am I using the dot "incorrectly?"

If you like lower third spacers, fine, good for you. They're too high for me. Doesn't mean I'm doing anything wrong.
    Read more. Post less. Seek training.

Irons sights: look at sights.

Red dot: look at target.

There's a million threads and posts on how this is done.

Read more. Post less. Seek training.

Page 20 of 26 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast