Page 18 of 26 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Am I the only one starting to prefer iron sights?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by okie View Post
    In the mid-day sun, I need aimpoints turned up to the highest setting, and even then the dot gets washed out on light backgrounds. And then if I tried to use that same setting indoors at night, even with the lights on, the whole tube will just be solid red.
    Color blindness is a spectrum. Sometimes, it's simply a lower sensitivity to certain light wavelengths. I wonder if this whole issue may be explained by your having a slight insensitivity to red light? Perhaps you could try a green dot and see if it becomes easier to see in bright conditions without having to crank it up all the way? I know that even in the brightest sunlight I don't need my dots at 10 in order to be clearly usable.

ETA: Or perhaps you would benefit from an ARD.
    Last edited by georgeib; 01-27-22 at 13:24.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    I wonder if this whole issue may be explained by your having a slight insensitivity to red light?
    Maybe this. I mean.. we shoot in some bright ass desert sunlight, and I don't think even then I've turned a dot all the way up.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    Color blindness is a spectrum. Sometimes, it's simply a lower sensitivity to certain light wavelengths. I wonder if this whole issue may be explained by your having a slight insensitivity to red light? Perhaps you could try a green dot and see if it becomes easier to see in bright conditions without having to crank it up all the way? I know that even in the brightest sunlight I don't need my dots at 10 in order to be clearly usable.

ETA: Or perhaps you would benefit from an ARD.
    Sounds kind of plausible. When they switched to white boards, I was one of the kids who had trouble seeing red marker, but I was far from alone. Half or more had the same problem.

I've tried green reticles and they do show up better against light backgrounds, but they also don't work very well against green foliage, someone wearing earth tones (e.g. camo), etc. That's why red is usually universally preferred for dot sights because you rarely find it in nature, so that's usually going to give you the better contrast. And of course they still suffer from the same issue where the daylight settings don't work at night and vice versa.

Essentially the way I've come to use my dot sights is exactly how you use an optic with an etched reticle that has fiber/tritium. In bright sunlight, the black reticle is clearly visible, and in low light, where the reticle isn't visible, the illumination takes over. I just leave my dot at that middle setting all the time now, so it's a very similar experience for me. I really wish there were more 1x sights with etched reticles out there. To me, that's a very underserved market.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    It is bright and sunny here today. Much brighter than yesterday. I don't have time for a range trip today so I just took the same carbine outside in my back yard as yesterday with the Aimpoint on the same number 10 setting. Pointing in the same direction that the sun is facing, I could still see the dot, though it was dimmer than I would prefer, but still usable. It wasn't until I started raising the optic toward the sky that it washed out and became invisible.

Color blindness/wave length sensitivity may explain why okie is having more problems than the rest of us, I'm not an ophthalmologist so I'll just have to go with it being a plausible reason, but that still doesn't explain why he thinks that shooting irons and a RDS are the same technique because they're cowitnessed.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Sounds kind of plausible. When they switched to white boards, I was one of the kids who had trouble seeing red marker, but I was far from alone. Half or more had the same problem.

I've tried green reticles and they do show up better against light backgrounds, but they also don't work very well against green foliage, someone wearing earth tones (e.g. camo), etc. That's why red is usually universally preferred for dot sights because you rarely find it in nature, so that's usually going to give you the better contrast. And of course they still suffer from the same issue where the daylight settings don't work at night and vice versa.

Essentially the way I've come to use my dot sights is exactly how you use an optic with an etched reticle that has fiber/tritium. In bright sunlight, the black reticle is clearly visible, and in low light, where the reticle isn't visible, the illumination takes over. I just leave my dot at that middle setting all the time now, so it's a very similar experience for me. I really wish there were more 1x sights with etched reticles out there. To me, that's a very underserved market.
    Agreed on the green reticles. That's why I stick with red too.

As to etched 1x reticles, maybe give the Primary Arms prism a try. It's inexpensive enough to where even if you decided you don't like it, you could sell it without a big loss. I suppose you could also just send it back for a refund if you realized you didn't like it right away.

Feedback Score
    Prism sights are poor replacements for RDSes given that they do not have unlimited eye relief and a constrained eyebox, which are some of the greatest strengths of an RDS/HWS. They have their own strengths, but the two are not really comparable, IMO.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Defaultmp3 View Post
    Prism sights are poor replacements for RDSes given that they do not have unlimited eye relief and a constrained eyebox, which are some of the greatest strengths of an RDS/HWS. They have their own strengths, but the two are not really comparable, IMO.
    That's true too. Maybe instead of a prism, try a Holosun. I find their dots much easier to acquire than an Aimpoint's. Also, to my eye, much crisper and clearer dot.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Not if you cowitness them.
    Are you looking at the dot through your iron sights?
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    Yes just you lol

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C-grunt View Post
    Are you looking at the dot through your iron sights?
    Yes, he is lining up the rear and front iron sights with the dot and the target.

Page 18 of 26 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast