Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Am I the only one starting to prefer iron sights?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    Target focus vs front sight focus. There's really no realistic comparison. Though, I suppose you could say this a bit like comparing modern infantry rifles to WW1 Enfields, and trying to sell the idea that the WW1 weapon is somehow superior.

Another silly thread about stuff that has long since been laid to rest.
    I don't focus on the front sight when shooting with irons, at least not with a rifle. And honestly I don't see how anyone could, assuming they're shooting with both eyes open. I'm honestly starting to think from these replies I'm the only one here who's spent much time shooting rifle irons with both eyes open.

When shooting a pistol I practice front sight focus, but that's because the front sight is visible with both eyes. On a rifle, only the right eye can clearly see the sight. Or rather only the right eye is in alignment with it. If you're shooting rifle irons with both eyes open, the experience is basically the same as a dot, and with a fiber front might be virtually indistinguishable, at least for me and how my brain is wired. The only problem I have with the irons is the front sight isn't easy to pick up on certain backgrounds in dim light.

Another thing to consider is I don't shoot past 50 yards, and rarely shoot past 25. I've been wanting to build a longer range out at my place, as I could hypothetically go 200 yards or more, but with limited time and ammo I've only seen fit to use it practicing the scenario I would most likely encounter if shit hit the fan. My place in the city is heavily built up, so no long distances there, and my place in the country is heavily wooded, with very few lines of sight from my house that are more than about 50 yards. On top of that, I do most of my shooting at night, because again, that's likely the scenario most applicable. I generally start out around dusk and use my white light as necessary, then switch to nods once it's fully dark.

So with this all being 50 yards and closer, I wouldn't discount the role that muscle memory plays. Like I said, this just kind of started happening after years of using the same setup with fixed irons cowitnessed with a dot.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Inkslinger View Post
    Shoot some drills on a timer both ways and get back to us.
    Quote Originally Posted by okie View Post
    I actually don't own one. Been thinking about getting one.
    If you are not using a shot timer AND recording the results you are not really training.

Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    cont...

Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    If you are not using a shot timer AND recording the results you are not really training.

Yea that's just not true. I'm not trying to shave nanoseconds to win a comp or something here. Lots of dudes operated very operationally long before shot timers were even a thing, so if they got by without them somehow I think I can manage without them, as well.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by okie View Post
    Yea that's just not true. I'm not trying to shave nanoseconds to win a comp or something here. Lots of dudes operated very operationally long before shot timers were even a thing, so if they got by without them somehow I think I can manage without them, as well.
    But you can’t quantify your opinion of irons over RDS without actual data. Just because you “think” you prefer one over the other doesn’t mean you’re actually better with it. Maybe you are, but without any times it’s all just talk.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I love shooting iron sights for sure. I never used to suffer in speed with irons, but two weeks ago I took a carry handle carbine out and shot it on our pistol range (steel from 10-40 yards - All Black paint) and really struggled to pick up the sights and even had some misses.

I too have REAL irons (FSB) on all my serious guns, but I've come to count on the RDS as I age.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Threads like this really puts it into perspective how this site has changed. When I joined this site in 2011, this thread would have went like this.

“Here’s an experiment I didn’t on buis vs RDS”
    “I did a comparison of my ability to shoot iron sights vs RDS. Here are my times and targets using both. My conclusion is X”

It would be discussed and some other members would do their own testing. Now it’s just, “I say this or that with nothing to substantiate my claim, and if you don’t agree with me go pound sand.”

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I find shooting iron sights very enjoyable, and I even hunt with them on certain guns. If I was going to war or expecting a gunfight, I’m grabbing a gun with an Aimpoint or Eotech. I think the utility of an optic over irons is well proven, but as a shooter I completely see the reasons to prefer shooting the old school way. There is no argument to be made regarding which is superior, because it’s obviously a quality optic, but for me shooting is a hobby as well as it is something I do to be able to keep myself alive if a situation turns violent. To me it’s like bass fishing—sure I could chunk shiners and catch more fish, but I enjoy the sport so I have a garage full of tackle not for the sake of catching fish, but so I can fish the way I like to.

I have compared my accuracy and speed with irons over optics, and under perfect conditions they are close. Throw in low light, movement, and gear, then the dot pulls clearly ahead. I have seen a lot of decent “flat range” shooters get humbled on a more practical course of fire—I’m not able to train that way all the time, but I think it’s important to recognize most ranges are a part task trainer if we’re talking about combat. But I encourage everyone to also have fun shooting, so if you like your irons rock on.
    OEF / OIR / OFS

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Inkslinger View Post
    But you can’t quantify your opinion of irons over RDS without actual data. Just because you “think” you prefer one over the other doesn’t mean you’re actually better with it. Maybe you are, but without any times it’s all just talk.
    Well as I stated already, I prefer to have both. I have no plans of getting rid of my RDS anytime soon. Matter of fact, I'm putting one on my pistol as we speak, so hopefully that gives you some insight into where I'm at.

But if I had to choose just one, I'm thinking I would go with irons, and I'm starting to prefer the dot being off if it's daytime and the sun is out. Or rather I just don't bother to turn it up to the daylight setting, which is in effect off if you're in sunlight.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I love shooting iron sights for sure. I never used to suffer in speed with irons, but two weeks ago I took a carry handle carbine out and shot it on our pistol range (steel from 10-40 yards - All Black paint) and really struggled to pick up the sights and even had some misses.

I too have REAL irons (FSB) on all my serious guns, but I've come to count on the RDS as I age.
    Yea I'm in my mid 30s and the sights are getting harder for me to see. I have issues with them if it's overcast or at sunset. Hence the desire to maybe start looking for a fiber front sight. I haven't tried one before, or even looked down one that I can remember, but they look and sound like they might do the trick.

Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast