Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Replace just barrel or entire upper?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I’ll say complete upper, unless it’s just a range beater/training gun. If you shoot a barrel out you should replace the bolt, and you can’t depend on gun you are running to failure in an emergency.

Just make sure you get someone reputable to change the barrel if you go that route.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Smart man! I don't care what every other person says. You cannot buy the tools for a barrel change for anywhere near what a good smith would charge you to do it correctly. Is the S&W upper a flat top or does it have a FSB?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I'd be really surprised if somebody didn't live near you was happy to help you out.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    Smart man! I don't care what every other person says. You cannot buy the tools for a barrel change for anywhere near what a good smith would charge you to do it correctly. Is the S&W upper a flat top or does it have a FSB?
    It's a flat top. I have an Magpul MBUS rear sight with a RDS primary sight.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by czgunner View Post
    I'd be really surprised if somebody didn't live near you was happy to help you out.
    No offense to anyone...lots of smart and capable people out there...but any work done to my guns that could impact safety is done by a professional for legal reasons.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    I’ll say complete upper, unless it’s just a range beater/training gun. If you shoot a barrel out you should replace the bolt, and you can’t depend on gun you are running to failure in an emergency.

Just make sure you get someone reputable to change the barrel if you go that route.
    The S&W M&P was our first AR and is just a range beater. But that's good to know about changing out the bolt as well. I didn't realize that was the case.

I've got several other more expensive ARs that won't need new barrels for a while, but wanted to know best practice and what others did. :-)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
    No offense to anyone...lots of smart and capable people out there...but any work done to my guns that could impact safety is done by a professional for legal reasons.
    Then if you have someone do it for you, look for someone with armorer certifications and not just a “gunsmith”.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    6k rounds is not that much for a nitrided barrel.

I would just get a new upper with a new BCG (or at least a bolt) if you decide to go that route.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
    Its your rifle, do your thing. Barrel change isn't rocket science though.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    115 (100%)
    It's good to learn and have the tools to do things yourself.

Get a good vice, something to hold the receiver or one of the reaction rod type devices, and an AR tool.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast