Thread: Suggestions on Lower machining mods

Feedback Score

Suggestions on Lower machining mods

I am looking for suggestions on possible (minor) mods to a lower. I will be altering the logo and release gate on a lower - two actually - and thought I might ask if there were any other minor things that would be interesting.

I got a deal on two very inexpensive complete Anderson lowers. I detest the horse logo on them (which says a lot since I used to own and ride a horse - it's repellant even to me). At a minimum I will strip the receiver and fill that and the extraneous non-batf required stamping info (cal. and model) to give a cleaner look. In the past, I did this as well as fill the safe/fire r. side markings and mag release gate with a PSA lower to get an M16a1 look to mate to an M16a2 upper I had. That came out very well IMO so I might just repeat that, but then I got to thinking there might be other small enhancements I could do "while I'm in there" that I'm unaware of.

This is what I did in the past, as well as filing off the gate and some filling on the other side:
    IMGP3918.JPG

I don't have unlimited budget or tools. But since I intend to Cerakote the lower anyway before a foliage cammo job on top, I can do some work before that.
    Last edited by Oro; 01-23-22 at 09:53.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    If it’s an Anderson, shoot the piss out of them and make sure they work in the first place before dumping hours of machine time and work into what ever you want to do.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    This is not what the "Custom Build Forum" is for.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...Build-AR-Forum
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    I am discussing a completed build; I'm not able to post all the pictures as there's a limit, and I can't post the whole gun.

I understood this to be a subforum about discussing completed builds, and I'm asking a question on opinions about it, and the future.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I can't imagine why anyone would buy two Anderson lowers at any cost and go through all this trouble to try to make them look less like an Anderson. It's that whole "lipstick on a pig" thing.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Five_Point_Five_Six View Post
    I can't imagine why anyone would buy two Anderson lowers at any cost and go through all this trouble to try to make them look less like an Anderson. It's that whole "lipstick on a pig" thing.
    Because they’ll end up on the EE as not Anderson lowers.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Five_Point_Five_Six View Post
    Reading my mind. Its totally ridiculous. You buy shitty lowers, real cheap and then want to spend more money to make them look less shitty?

Now I understand better why our tax dollars are under assault.

Talk about nonsensical.........

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Oro View Post
    I am looking for suggestions on possible (minor) mods to a lower. I will be altering the logo and release gate on a lower - two actually - and thought I might ask if there were any other minor things that would be interesting.

I got a deal on two very inexpensive complete Anderson lowers. I detest the horse logo on them (which says a lot since I used to own and ride a horse - it's repellant even to me). At a minimum I will strip the receiver and fill that and the extraneous non-batf required stamping info (cal. and model) to give a cleaner look. In the past, I did this as well as fill the safe/fire r. side markings and mag release gate with a PSA lower to get an M16a1 look to mate to an M16a2 upper I had. That came out very well IMO so I might just repeat that, but then I got to thinking there might be other small enhancements I could do "while I'm in there" that I'm unaware of.

This is what I did in the past, as well as filing off the gate and some filling on the other side:
    IMGP3918.JPG

I don't have unlimited budget or tools. But since I intend to Cerakote the lower anyway before a foliage cammo job on top, I can do some work before that.
    Do it!!
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB