Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The world's greatest bolt gun turns 10 years old.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

The world's greatest bolt gun turns 10 years old.

10 years ago Pappabear got this Rem 700 .223 5R bolt gun for his birthday.

It is simply the best gun we run, by far. It's a laser beam that always leaves a smile on your face. It comes out to the range with us every weekend.

It's like having a pellet gun that can reach out to 1300 yards.

"What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    The best trainer anyone could use to practice fundamentals, trigger control, Doping Wind.....It shoots half inch groups all day long. All I did is Timney trigger, bedding job and karsten cheek weld.

Do you have an old gun you never get tired of firing?

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    10 years ago. Would you both still have the same opinion of more recent production Remmy 700 rifles?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    10 years ago. Would you both still have the same opinion of more recent production Remmy 700 rifles?
    We haven't run a newer Rem 700. Pappabear does have several Remmies, none of which have been anything but great, but no current production guns. Other bolt guns are Bergara, FN, Daniel Defense, etc.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    And I think their 5R barrels / guns were their top end offerings. Mark has a Standard Remmy 308 that shoots lights out. But we did the baseline upgrades which squeezes out a little more accuracy.

I think if you buy Rubber stock basic Remmy, well you are probably hit or miss on those guns. And I would buy a Bergara over a Remmy in this era. My other Remmys have been gutted and upgraded with Kreigers and McMillian stocks.....Back when it was the best option for the money.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    We haven't run a newer Rem 700. Pappabear does have several Remmies, none of which have been anything but great, but no current production guns. Other bolt guns are Bergara, FN, Daniel Defense, etc.
    How are your FN SPR rifles working for you?

For the life of me, I wish FN would have continued with that rifle…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "One cannot awaken a man who pretends to be asleep..."

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjolnir View Post
    How are your FN SPR rifles working for you?

For the life of me, I wish FN would have continued with that rifle…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That rifle has been amazing as well. CL barrel that shoot sub moa. We had some 168 ELD's that shot a ragged hole a few weeks back. Its a 1/12 twist but still shoots the heavies just fine. I have nothing to say bad about that CL gun that should go 10,000 rounds.

Mjoiner, I'm shocked they didnt sell more of those rifles for DMR rifles to our boys, makes no sense

PB
    Last edited by Pappabear; 01-24-22 at 20:18.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    How many rounds on it over a decade?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I'm a bit gun shy (literally) about recent production Remington stuff. Was kind of hoping you had some of their newer production models. The only bolt rifles I have left are Sako's and they're fantastic, but are set up as hunting rigs.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dmd08 View Post
    How many rounds on it over a decade?
    We don't keep super accurate track, but based on an estimate of 40 range trips per year and 20 rounds per trip... 8000 rounds.

I'm a bit gun shy (literally) about recent production Remington stuff. Was kind of hoping you had some of their newer production models. The only bolt rifles I have left are Sako's and they're fantastic, but are set up as hunting rigs.
    I haven't read anything one way or another. Last rumors I heard was since they went to one station CNC years ago, a lot of the slop/mediocrity went away.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast