Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: aeroshell for Ti barrel nut or other

Feedback Score

aeroshell for Ti barrel nut or other

probably a dumb question but would aeroshell33 work for ti barrel nut or would a different type be needed? that is all i have used and have and works fine with Aluminum and Steel

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I don't think galvanic corrosion is an issue with Ti, so Aeroshell is probably fine just to get the torque value correct.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    I seem to remember it being an issue with TI and aluminum, but specifically uncoated. There was something also to do with the oxide layer, but the memory escapes me. With finishes, likely fine. Regardless, aeroshell goes on all the things. Even toast.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I'm interested in this topic as well.

Based on this chart, I'd say there is little to worry about and aeroshell will work just fine.

https://www.grabberman.com/Media/TechnicalData/127.pdf
    Last edited by HKGuns; 01-27-22 at 09:15.

Feedback Score
    spoke to the mfg. said aeroshell will be completely fine to use, especially since their nut is coated. i was worried about this since i took one of my carbon hoyt bows from past and wanted to see how light i could get it and bought a firenock Ti kit for it. All the bolts were Ti and cut the weight down from the steel ones in half. the Mfg sold a specific compound for it since it would screw into aluminum. I know it could be just b/c they could make a few extra $$ selling their own compared to what you have but Ti is an exotic metal that isn't used by us common folk that often.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by xFREDx View Post
    spoke to the mfg. said aeroshell will be completely fine to use, especially since their nut is coated. i was worried about this since i took one of my carbon hoyt bows from past and wanted to see how light i could get it and bought a firenock Ti kit for it. All the bolts were Ti and cut the weight down from the steel ones in half. the Mfg sold a specific compound for it since it would screw into aluminum. I know it could be just b/c they could make a few extra $$ selling their own compared to what you have but Ti is an exotic metal that isn't used by us common folk that often.
    Good to hear.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Thread shift... What purpose does a Ti barrel nut serve??

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    Thread shift... What purpose does a Ti barrel nut serve??
    My knowledge is limited, but it’s primarily used for the lightweights. Titanium where there’s usually steel, etc. Titanium stuff is fascinating. There’s also a thermal component to it as well to where it actually performs a bit better than steel to my knowledge. That being said, it’s weaker and more expensive than steel. Almost like a middle ground between aluminum and steel at much more expense.

Feedback Score
    It’s the VSeven Ti ion bond coating. I think vseven told me it is actually stronger than the bcm nut. Don’t quote me on that. But Ti (depending on what type) is not as strong as all steels but stronger than others. I replaced one of the handguards from keymod to mlok on one and noticed the steel nut had rust. That wouldn’t be that big of deal but these handguards are a pain to take on and off and not something I really wanted to do religiously to clean so I decided to give this one a shot as it won’t rust like steel. Now after I saw this I did take off my other one and it is fine. Not changing it in the future but for this one just decided to as I picked up a new lightweight barrel. So why not try it. Expensive for what it is… yes but to me worth a shot to try it. It was weird that the nut had rust. I have never ran into that before on GI nuts, Larue nuts, DD nuts, and geissele nuts (duh aluminum).

Feedback Score
    Ahh yes. I’ve seen those. I seem to remember worked with both kmr alpha and mcmr. I’ve been working on a sub-4lb lightweight build and have been eyeing that nut for this purpose. Considering it’s v7 and their coating, you won’t have any issues. Aeroshell away and you won’t have to worry about it. V7 good-goods are great.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast