Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: A2 carry handle sight - windage adjustment. How much is too much?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    No in spec gun I've ever worked on had any play in the index pin notch... definitely not enough to make up for a windage issue. Maybe a couple thousandths, but they generally lock up with little play at all.

And there's zero room for taper pin adjustment that I can see. I mean... that FSB goes on ONE way, exactly where the pins and FSB were reamed. A small pin would just seat deeper, and a larger pin more shallow, but the holes line up one way.
    John Thomas for one has fixed stuff like that before. Pretty sure he is not alone but he gets mentioned (and praised) a lot for that sort of work on the internet. It can be done...

Fitting / Shimming an index pin notch is something that is sometimes done as well.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DG23 View Post
    Fitting / Shimming an index pin notch is something that is sometimes done as well.
    This - you can open up the index pin notch on the receiver a bit so the barrel can rotate, or file one side of the barrel index pin. The gap on the other side can be filled with a thin stainless steel shim which will be captured once you install the barrel nut. But, before you do that, you can determine whether the barrel is rotated in the receiver or the front sight tower is leaning by looking at the feed ramps. If the feed ramps line up perfectly, then it's the front sight tower that's leaning. You usually do have a little bit of rotation to play with for feed ramp alignment if you do want to make the adjustment.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by militarymoron View Post
    This - you can open up the index pin notch on the receiver a bit so the barrel can rotate, or file one side of the barrel index pin. The gap on the other side can be filled with a thin stainless steel shim which will be captured once you install the barrel nut. But, before you do that, you can determine whether the barrel is rotated in the receiver or the front sight tower is leaning by looking at the feed ramps. If the feed ramps line up perfectly, then it's the front sight tower that's leaning. You usually do have a little bit of rotation to play with for feed ramp alignment if you do want to make the adjustment.
    This is all well and good, but the fact remains that it should not NEED to be done. The item the OP purchased is out of spec. It should be replaced.

If I buy a new truck, I expect it to meet alignment tolerances without having to modify the frame.
    Go Ukraine! Piss on the Russian dead.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Years ago, I was told by a big manufacturer that 13 clicks from center to zero windage was acceptable for a rear sight. I've seen rifles and carbines made by the same company require the rear sight to be adjusted all the way to the left to zero.

I've reindexed a considerable number of barrels to get the rear sight to no wind zero with the rear sight centered. It shouldn't have to be done on an expensive rifle or carbine made by a company that is popular on M4C, but it is more commonplace than I think acceptable.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by militarymoron View Post
    This - you can open up the index pin notch on the receiver a bit so the barrel can rotate, or file one side of the barrel index pin.
    I absolutely DO NOT want that gun. That is an unacceptable work around to me.... Especially going back to my example where it is not the FSB pinned off of TDC, but the receiver is not straight.

If someone here bought a gun, took it apart and saw that crap??? There'd be hell to pay for the manufacturer sneaking that crap into a customer's hands.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by utahjeepr View Post
    This is all well and good, but the fact remains that it should not NEED to be done. The item the OP purchased is out of spec. It should be replaced.

If I buy a new truck, I expect it to meet alignment tolerances without having to modify the frame.
    Agreed - if the whole assembly is from one manufacturer then send it back. And, good quality components should need no such alteration. But, sometimes when piecing together a frankengun; the kitchen gunsmith methods can help.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Does the front sight base appear to be canted to the left when the rear sight is held level? If you look at the muzzle, does the bore appear to be off center?
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post
    Does the front sight base appear to be canted to the left when the rear sight is held level?
    This is hard to tell. At least for me. And FSB forging "ears" are not always symmetrical where you could put a level on top.

If you look at the muzzle, does the bore appear to be off center?
    This would be a unusual since the blanks are shaped after gun drill. (unless this is a Hammer Forge barrel of course) We did have a shillen barrel on a bolt gun that supposedly had this problem though.

Could be just a bad barrel that throws bullets left/right.

I can't imagine getting an untrue FSB ream if they used a real reaming station. And if it's BCM or FN, they'd both surely be using this tooling.

It seems like this problem used to be more commonly reported in the past. I doubt they'll tell him what the problem is, but now I'm curious.
    Last edited by markm; 01-27-22 at 15:22.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    I absolutely DO NOT want that gun. That is an unacceptable work around to me.... Especially going back to my example where it is not the FSB pinned off of TDC, but the receiver is not straight.

If someone here bought a gun, took it apart and saw that crap??? There'd be hell to pay for the manufacturer sneaking that crap into a customer's hands.

You mentioned above what the military deemed as 'acceptable' I believe. And you also mentioned selling one that you bought that was 10 clicks off? (that still falling inside of what you said the military would accept)

Plenty of other guys around here that would be able to diagnose the problem and possibly correct it on their own without selling or returning anything...

Point being - Depending on the problem and the severity - Sometimes that stuff can be adjusted / tweaked to the point where everything is perfect.

All of the parts we are discussing have 'tolerances' and there is no shame in having a shim here or there to make things closer to being perfect for a customer or an owner.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    This is hard to tell. At least for me. And FSB forging "ears" are not always symmetrical where you could put a level on top.

This would be a unusual since the blanks are shaped after gun drill. (unless this is a Hammer Forge barrel of course) We did have a shillen barrel on a bolt gun that supposedly had this problem though.

Could be just a bad barrel that throws bullets left/right.

I can't imagine getting an untrue FSB ream if they used a real reaming station. And if it's BCM or FN, they'd both surely be using this tooling.

It seems like this problem used to be more commonly reported in the past. I doubt they'll tell him what the problem is, but now I'm curious.
    I've corrected the sights on a considerable number of AR's by loosening the barrel nut, moving the barrel and tightening the barrel nut to correct torque.
    Train 2 Win

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast